Monday, January 21, 2008

Eyes closed...


My favorite feeling is being in the ocean with my eyes closed. This morning to start my recovery week I had a nice swim in the ocean. . .

The only time I truly feel at peace is in the ocean. Not running, I see too many friends and wave and smile and laugh. Not biking, I am always chatting or looking at some cool chunk of lava. Not swimming in a pool, I am too focused on hitting the wall or keeping up with Mike or Jen. But in the ocean EVERYTHING stops for me. My mind turns off the sounds of all the chores to get done. Responsibilities fade away. I can see cars on Ali'i Drive but don't hear them- I am too far out to sea. Maybe being a surfer prior to triathlon I developed some special bond with the ocean. Whatever the case, it is the only time I can stop the world from chasing me and just breathe, smile, relax, unwind.

Today I had the "Italian Rookie" joining me. He was drafting along and I kept flipping to my back and closing my eyes as I swam back stroke. I had no cares of boats, people, sea creatures,
or anything to disturb me. On land when I close my eyes I am so filled with my to-do-list and my mind never shuts off. In the ocean, with my eyes closed I felt as if I were somewhere really far away, really special, and so at peace in the world...

11 comments:

Brooke Myers said...

I know that feeling too Bree. Everything seems pretty clear and less thoughts taking up space in the head - and why don't I swim more often???

Pedergraham said...

O wow...I know and love that feeling of being in the water and relaxed and free. How nice to do it outside of a chlorinated pool!!!

Kellye Mills said...

Ok... I am now officially planning on moving to Kona ASAP!! In all seriousness, you truly live in a paradise. Hawaii is the only place that my husband and I have visited that we weren't ready to leave when it was time to come home.

BTW: IF I ever do make it there anytime soon, you better believe I'd LOVE to join you for a ride and I'd make you share your new guy trainers!!

Beth said...

That sounds so awesome Bree! Everyone needs a place like that - where they can be free from all the madness of daily life! Your place sounds amazing and awesome and if I ever make it to Kona I'm going to try it out!!

Mel said...

Ok Bree, just rub that BEAUTIFUL scenery in our COLD/SNOWY faces...I think I will go jump in a snow mound and see if it can put my mind in peace land :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I'm still trying to get over the fact about the "creatures" in the water... I love swimming, I love swimming, I love swimming, but I'm terrified of - er - (real quite and whispers...) sharks. :) I can imagine how wonderful, how peaceful it would be to swim merrily along. There's just something about the rush of water against your ears, your focus on a completely different world that can take you away. If I wasn't so convinced that my fate lies with a ragged toothed shark encounter, I think I might take that up... Or if I had lots of other people to join me - (that way my chances of survival would exponentially increase with every additional person in the water). In all seriousness, it sounds wonderful. I'm glad that you had an awesome swim, and if I ever make it out to Kona, I hope you'll show me all the great swimming spots! Hope that your recovery week is going well!

ShirleyPerly said...

Well, you certainly deserve some relaxing after that last training week. Glad you have the beautiful blue ocean so close by!

Ashley said...

Ahhhh, just reading your blog warmed me up. Thanks for the vivid description of playing (I mean swimming) in the ocean! Sometimes, we all need to go to our "happy place."

Speed Racer said...

Funny, all I can think about in the ocean is sharks.

Brent Poulsen said...

hey there, i noticed your racing st. croix, iam as well. i Didnt have that good of half i was hoping to break 1:10. Congrats on the 120 ur smoking fast.
Maybe i will see you at a race coming up. Anyways have a great off season and stay healthy.
Cheers

Emmalee said...

I totally think it goes back to the surfing thing. Even though its been a awhile I will always think the best feeling in the world is out in the water on your board waiting for a set. Awww, the good old days...