Saturday, January 19, 2008

HCC Group Ride...

Every Saturday rain or shine the Hawaii Cycling Club pulls out of the Keiki lot at 7am. About 4 years ago when I first got my bike I would purposely leave WAY before 7am so I would not get swallowed by the massive group of intense roadies. They really intimidated me, freaked me out, and made me promise I would never be like that. Besides, I didn't (still don't) have a road bike so I lacked the coolness...

THEN, I met some of the roadies, actually learned to ride a bike, and wanted to be part of the "cool people" bike ride... so for the past 2 years I have been part of the group.

Let me tell you about this group... they are kinda bitter, a bit too intense, sort of cocky, wicked fast at certain sections of the ride, and you never EVER ever know what to expect. Each Saturday is something new, dramatic, or exciting...

In the past 2 years I have been with them we have had Chris Lieto, TJ Tollakson, Tina Walter, Joanna Zieger, Jo Lawn, Lance Armstrong, Shonny Vanlandingham, and a few other big time riders join us. I have seen fights, crashes, sprint-offs, and more evil attacks than I would ever want to see...

I have come to love it! I just eat that stuff up! I like to try and hang with the studs (like the time I told Chris Lieto he can draft me), I like to go beyond myself and try to take pulls up the hills, I love racing the guys and getting my butt kicked, and I love the fact that no matter what time of the year it is group rides are always like "race day".

Today was the ultimate challenge for me... it was my first group ride of the season and coaches orders were to NOT "race" to NOT get "caught up" to NOT "crash and be nuts". I hate those orders. I always feel like a wuss not going balls to the wall, I get grumpy when I have to hang back, and I really dislike when the guys challenge me and I have to say something goofy like, "I am watching my heart rate" or something. Besides, it is way more fun to try and take a pull only to get your butt spit out the other end and to try and hang with the lead pack-crumble-then get swallowed by the second for blowing too early!

SOOOOO this morning, me and my "orders" are all ready to ride. I would like to tell you how the morning went but it lacks any attacks by me (I never took any). I don't have any funny stories about getting all bonked out because I never went hard enough to crash. I also lack any stories of getting dropped then swallowed because I snuck from wheel to wheel like a sneaky little kid just getting pulled along. The heart rate was in check, I only took a few pulls and none were up hill, a nice ride... felt more like a Sunday drive. AND what do I get in return... just a tiny email from my coach that said, "nice job Bree. Think strong not speed right now".

Man, I avoided all that fun for "nice job"........ wait till I get a green light coach!!!!

8 comments:

Marni said...

When the time comes to start pushing for speed, you will be SO thankful that you took advantage of your base training!!! I really improved in cycling once I got a road bike. It is so much fun riding with others and I feel a lot safer w/o aerobars. Who knows...I'm sure you would be good with cycling races in addition to tri's!!! :)

Pedergraham said...

Hi Bree:
First, I am so impressed by your junping in with all of the roadies. Someday I would like to be brave enough to try that! Second, way to go holding yourself back and following coach's orders. That's the hardest part! So, on top of the "nice job", I'll add "wicked, awesome, super-duper job". :)
-Danielle

Beth said...

I LOVE to ride with a group of cyclists! But you are right - if you let yourself get caught up in their antics you could easily be in zone 5 for much of the ride! I'm really impressed with your self-restraint. When I know I have to keep my HR low I have to ride by myself! :) Great job!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Holy Cow Bree - you told Chris Lieto he could draft off of you - wow, you've either got a death wish, are crazy, or simply the most awesomeist triathlete I have ever heard of. Enjoy the long stuff, the group rides - and YOU show those roadies whose really boss (from all the ladies in the tri community!).

Speed Racer said...

You took the mature approach? I can't believe it, you must be growing up. Don't grow up too much, okay?

When butt kicking time comes, I want to hear how you kicked ass and took names with the biggest guns on two wheels.

Mel said...

I LOVE your feisty spirit :)

Kellye Mills said...

I'll never forget a century ride I did with my coach Carole this past June. We started a few min before the large pack and had said beforehand to keep it as much zone 2 as possible. Somewhere around mile 20, these LARGE group of cyclists came flying by us up this hill...everyone sucking wind. Carole was like, don't worry ladies, just let them pass, you'll see what happens at the end. Sure enough, we finished WAY before that pack did. They let it all out WAY too soon!!

So, just keep thinking you'll show them later on in the season when your coach says GO! :)

ShirleyPerly said...

I've yet to see those folks you mentioned but can imagine what they're like. Great willpower!!