Wednesday, January 2, 2008

It reminded me of Ironman...

The image “http://uhathletics.hawaii.edu/media/Images/Story/day5.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

last night a huge group of about 35 of us had a major Sugar Bowl party, WHY? Because the Warriors were playing Georgia and they were going into the game 12-0...U-N-D-F-E-A-T-E-D! AND because we wanted to support them... Oh you can imagine the scene... 35 locals all dressed in green with pom-poms to match, more sushi, ceviche, poki, nori & rice, and guacamole from 5 different families avocado trees, some LOUD mouth mixed Asian-Filipino ( a good friend of mine) in control of the remote and she must have been deaf last night because the TV was so loud I can still hear the Warriors chanting their Ha-A chant!!!

And, it reminded me of Ironman! The boys had been working hard all season, they played great in all their prior games-well enough to qualify them for the Sugar Bowl, and they were ready (a little nervous) but ready. Like Ironman, we race good in most of our races-good enough to get our IM slot, we work hard, sacrifice, then show up for the BIG DAY- maybe even a little nervous. Both the Sugar Bowl and Ironman have a much larger field of talent than most of the "other" races/games throughout the season. But hey, we earned the right to be there win-or-lose.

The Warriors lost (10-41) but hey, they played in the Sugar Bowl! Kinda like most of us that do Ironman, unless you are Wellington or McCormack we didn't win either- BUT we made it to the big game! So, today the Warriors come home and YES, we still love them and think nothing less of them...we are proud!

After watching the game with a bunch of really crazy fans I realized that win or lose the people who support you love you no matter your results. Your race/game outcome does not make you any less of an athlete or define who you are. So, heading into 2008 and as I will race as a professional (yes I finally got the elite card), I will know that just because I get my @$$ handed to me on a plate at some races I am not anything less... like the Warriors, at least I showed up to play...


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bree,
GOOD for you for taking the leap. SOOO many athletes (top AGers) do not take that plunge for FEAR they will not succeed on the bigger playing field. But, you know what? You are right...just showing up, doing your best....the results will follow and you will have NO regrets. And, you'll do awesome! CONGRATS on your Pro card and all the best at your 08 races. Yes, I will be at St. Anthony's, so I will 'meet' you there! Jen H.

Mel said...

Yea Bree for the "Pro title" Now I will have to get my photo taken with one of my favorite PRO athletes :) Maybe in St. Croix!!!
Congrats.....

Jameson said...

Congrats on the elite card! Good luck in all your 2008 races.

I just found your blog a few days ago trolling through different tri blogs and really like it a lot. Looking forward to tracking how your first pro season goes!

Lisa said...

Congratulations Bree on your amazing 2007 season and what will most definitely be a great 2008! I recently started following your blog and you are very inspirational! Best of luck in your 2008 season and I look forward to reading about your races!

Lisa G.

Kellye Mills said...

Wow Bree! What an honor to even have the opportunity to receive a pro card! Congratulations! You have earned it!

Marni said...

Congrats on turning Pro! Enjoy this upcoming year. You have so many great things in your life (husband and son) that racing Pro as a triathlete is just something else that makes your life extraordinary. You are living the dream of many!

tati said...

true that!
that's awesome u got the pro card bree, best of luck. i'm sure u'll kick butt like usual ;)

Emmalee said...

congratulations ms. thang. I'll have to make sure I get your autograph in April...I don't think I've ever known a pro athlete before. Maybe I should try to find pictures of us and sell them on ebay. haha. Seriously congratulations. You inspire me to persevere.

Beth said...

Yes, congrats on the pro card! That's a very exciting opportunity and I'm sure you will make the very best of it! Best of luck in your rookie season! :)

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOO! YES YES YES! Go big Bree! GO BIG! I am so happy for you!
e.l.f.

Bob Mitera said...

Congrats on turning PRO! The Warriors showed a no quit attitude which you have. BRING IT!
All the best in 2008! (...and I really hate the U of Georgia now - classless)

Jessi said...

Ha! I love how you snuck that announcement into the last paragraph of your post. CONGRATS!

kerrie said...

wowee mama - way to step it up!!!! i am so excited to see you race as a pro!
happy new year!

Ashley said...

Oh Bree... I'm sorry, but when you're playing the DAWGS, you're going down!!!! You can't spell Sugar without UGA ;) Glad y'all had a fun night. Congrats on moving to the next tri-level!! I can't wait to follow your progress and cheer you on.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Congratulations! I am SO EXCITED for you - way to go. You'll do great, you'll be awesome, and we'll cheer for you ALWAYS! You're gonna do it... I just know... you'll do phenominal! And as someone who is in the 25-29 AG, I personally say "thanks" :) I can't wait to meet you next season! You rock!