Friday, January 18, 2008

Making it hurt...

5am: The whirl of the tready's start...

Jen and I had no choice but to do our runs pre swim (masters starts at 6:15am). With being moms training time is not always an option... so some nights you have to go to bed at 8pm so you can wake up about 4am and get to the gym by 5am...

We have different coaches so our workouts were very different. She is in the middle of a run block and had a base-type run, I had interval type workout. Fun thing was despite our different runs we were able to run side by side and chat...

She is a former swimmer- you know the "real" ones that swam in college and stuff and have that "technique" thing down and aren't afraid to make it hurt in the water. She was telling me how she gets fired up for the fast stuff and even though she is awesome at distance she can sprint like nothing in the pool. So, here I am doing the intervals (not all out yet in the season, but getting some quicker blood going) and I tell her I have no problem going to the point of pain in running... in running when you hurt you can still breathe and you can stop. In swimming your face is under water and you can't still breathe and I just never take my swimming there... maybe that is why the ITU thing never worked for me and I ended up trying Ironman... I just can't swim fast because I won't try to make it hurt...

So, now to the pool. Yikes we are a bit sore... but the pool. Hawaii's fastest high schooler (Krista) is there to swim with us. She is getting ready for college (on a full swim scholarship of course) and next stop an Olympic hopeful for 2012... I definetly jump in behind her... even though she kicks my butt I LOVE to swim by fast people- they AMAZE me! So, now it comes up... she too takes herself to the point of pain, like Jen does! I get to thinking... I need too, I have too, unless I am content always swimming like I do I need to hurt in the pool even though I can't breathe!

Coach gives us this set of 12x 75's and he looks right at me, knowing I am the worst at pacing and knowing my swim times, knowing I don't make it hurt, and tells me (not the other people in the 2 lanes) me ... what I need to hold... "Bree, you should be at low 50's, like 51-53". Then to Krista... "Krista, 45". I snarl... darn I am a wuss I think to myself! AND in that moment I decide to make it hurt!

Round one... I finish and Krista tells me I did a 51, Coach says good. Now I am REALLY bitter... DARN I WUSSED OUT! So I get fired up and decide if I ever want to be a better swimmer I have to hurt like Krista does and this time I am serious... I am going to hurt... so, my legs ache from my run but I am hurting... I get to the wall... Krista says, 48". YES! I am under 50! Take that coach! He reminds me I have more to go... pace...Bree pace...

Next one I don't care how many more... I am going for it! Krista continues to call out my times each time I finish (and these are on the 1:10 so the rest isn't all day type rest)... all the rest of mine I swam sub 50 and got to a 46 on the last one. Krista and her sub 45's showed me how to swim... I was so excited to make it hurt... I never knew hurting in the pool could feel so good!

Cheers to making it hurt!

14 comments:

Eileen said...

WHOA! WOW! Awesome Bree! Make it hurt....that's right!! Now don't read my email about my 500 last night, I am embarrased ;-) HA!

E

Anonymous said...

OH!!! This post made me smile! LOVE IT! I LOVE TO SWIM! I LOVE TO SWIM! But, damn, a :46 for a 75is moving! Nice work, Bree...sounds like some great company too! :) Jen H.

Bob Mitera said...

With your aerobic engine...pain in the water/power might be a power in the water issue. I'm SURE your heart/lungs can handle quite a beating - regarless...46s for repeat 75 is damn respectible. You rock!

Naughty said...

Very cool......now I don't think I am such a failure after all........you got me on all the hard 75's being that we were side by side.......but hey I wasn't too far off your danged feet......maybe I was sub :58's...I don't know how to tell time..to pooped and slow to even care...but hey if the Wee Chick was 45in' it then I was definitely in the 50's...YEA.........Jen here (AKA Naughty).....PS...so even when the pace feels like dyin' still finish no matter......and when all else fails (And today it did for me)....FORM..

I had soooooooo much fun today....and camp hurt is a good thing........Hodel taught me this on the run. Cheers......to havin' fun along the way

Lisa said...

Wow - you were on the treadmill at 5am?! You are crazy! And great job on the swim set - those are some pretty smokin' times, you should really try ITU after all!

BreeWee said...

Lisa, you crack me up... I have a couple ITU friends and they do a very similar set (less rest though) and hold them on 40! It is gross and ugly and fast and amazing!! They do bunches of 100 repeats on 1 min. send offs!! I am super lucky when I get sub 1 min on JUST ONE! Ha ha, but I let the ITU thing go and have "embraced" Ironman...

gosonja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gosonja said...

Wowzer. I love how you are constantly thinking and re-evaluating your intensity. Very cool!

Kellye Mills said...

Sub 50 for 75s, I don't think I even dream that fast :)

I did a set of 5 100s today and it HURT, and I won't even say what my pace was other than the fact that it was SOOO much slower than that! :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Excellent! Especially AFTER doing a run. Way to HTFU!
Enjoy the weekend!!!

Rural Girl said...

Holy cats! I love it. You are right, in the end to get better, it's gonna hurt.

Mel said...

I love the new photo you added finishing the Hawaii Ironman with Kainoa....You look like you put the HURT on..AND look at your final results...AWESOME :)

Happy hurting :)

Melissa

Speed Racer said...

I love your love/hate relationship with swimming. It's nice to remember that not everyone's perfect (except me, of course). Now go out there and put yourself in a world of hurt. I want to see you be the first one out of the water next year.

Ashley said...

oh, it hurts so good. Cheers to pain.