Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sibling Rivalry...

I was doing a kick set with my friend Karlyn a bit ago and we got to talking about being competative with your brother/sisters. As we kicked and talked, my sister Brooke kept coming up (maybe because of all my sisters she is the one I am compared to most and vice versa). We look very similar, act alike, and stand the same height... but it ends there.

I am drawn to competition, endurance, adventure & she is calm, peaceful, more into helping others succeed. We never have to face being in each others shadow. We are too different in our goals and desires... BUT... this morning after my bike ride that all changed! 26 years of having her as my sister & best friend... she was NOW my competition!

At her house she was showing me some new yoga moves & her new photos of the positions. This one caught my eye!
Wholly crap! How in the? What in the? What the? I was amazed, impressed, astonished, then CHALLENGED! I had to do it too... the sister rivalry was on! I ask her to show me how to do it...within a second she was in this position, comfortable, relaxed, chatting... made it look so easy! So, I tell her to step aside and watch me! (I know what I am doing, I have taken her yoga class once in my life). After falling 45 times, nearly breaking my neck, cracking my back, and not being successful, I tell her I need her yoga bottoms... the cute ones she has on in her photo... I tell her it must be in the outfit! (see, I am NOT giving up, I can do it but I need the right outfit... you wouldn't race a triathlon in normal clothes, well you can't do yoga in normal clothes either... right?)

I try and I try... then I think I got it and I beg for her to take a picture... THEN... I look at it... and think to myself, "Hell ya! I did it!".
BUT, my wonderful sister points out... my arms are not right, my head isn't as high off the ground, my leg isn't in the air very straight, and my back isn't too flexible... WHAT!? But, comparing the photos... she is right... she won this contest!

What do I have to say to that... BRING IT ON SISTA! I'll see you in the water...

12 comments:

Brooke Myers said...

I have the mulitple pictures of you trying to accomplish this pose, but I have to admit it isn't as bad as you think. Maybe fix the feet, flex the back a little more, shift your weight over the shoulders directly on top of the elbows, lift the body with the heart to the sky, etc. etc.
p.s. Are you praying just to not fall from your pose, or is that palms together?

Mel said...

Not bad...a lot better than I could ever imagining doing...Look at those DAM muscular legs :) You go GIRL!!!!

Mel said...

Your sister has LONGER legs and arms could that be an advantage :) That would be my EXCUSE..HA..You both rock!!!

Brooke Myers said...

too bad Bron wasn't here with us...I wonder how she would do?

Emmalee said...

gotta love my myers/wee girls. I just like that you're wearing brooke's outfit. Maybe thats what i need in order to be able to do that.

Beth said...

Okay...I just tried to do it myself and I nearly broke my back! I consider myself pretty flexible but that is just sick! That move should come with a "do not try this at home" warning!!! HA!

Kellye Mills said...

My sister and I are COMPLETE opposites, yet for whatever reason are competitive with each other. We played a game once where we told each other one thing we didn't like about the other... She said she hated my homemade Mac and Cheese!! :) I'm not sure I'll ever get past that! JK

Sisters really are the greatest!

BTW: I can't WAIT for St. Anthony's, and I know you're going to busy because you're a big super-star pro now :) but I really hope to meet you there!

Speed Racer said...

Oh my goodness! I couldn't even get close to that on so many levels. I'd probably end up in the hospital, and yet you did it on the first try (sort of). It must be the yoga panties. I'll definitely have to get me a good pair of yoga panties for my next session in public. I would ask your sister to send me hers, but I don't want to look cool THAT bad.

Ashley said...

niiiiiice moves ladies. I've got the opposite problem... I'm trying to swim like my sister. Sista Love - good times!

Bob Mitera said...

The only time I have been (or will be) in that position is when I was hit by a Chevy Tahoe while riding my bike. I hope to never be that way again.

Ouch!

greyhound said...

I know, I know. "Anything is possible."

Except for me doing that.

This post reminds me why I can't do yoga, but don't mind watching it. ha!

ShirleyPerly said...

One of the bad things I've noticed since getting into tris is that I've become quite inflexible. I used to be able to do back bends and splits w/o thinking about it. Now only in my dreams. You get an A for effort!!