Thursday, January 17, 2008

Vroooom...

"Coach how do I make it through the season injury free?"

That is the question (emergency) I called my coach for... that is the mystery in our sport...that is one of the "goals" on my 2008 list... that is what I was all 2007 season: Injury Free.

There are loads of recovery, prevention, and technique tips to make it happen... there are also things other than over training, too-much-too-soon, too-fast-too-soon, that can hurt you and aren't really you to blame..."out of your control"...

Here is the answer I got in "Easy for Bree to understand" terms...

Think of your body as an engine. Vroom... are you visualizing a nice shiny engine? The 1st step is to make that engine STRONG! Vroom... strength training, hills, big gears, think POWER stuff. Step 2: Make your engine BIG! Endurance, base pace, low heart rates, volume, more frequent workouts, Vroom... The final step...add some speed! Until the engine is strong and big it is not ready to go fast. Once you got the strength and BIG BASE you are ready... intervals, high heart rates, short and speedy, ouch, near puke pace, burn baby...

It was explained to me a bit more "scientific and coach-like" but being a blond I needed it in more of an elementary school explanation.

Okay, so how is that going to keep me from injury? When something is strong it is less likely to break. When something is more able to handle higher levels of stress it is less likely to wear out.

Be STRONG. Be BIG. Be FAST.

Wishing EVERYONE an injury free 2008!!!

11 comments:

Emmalee said...

my advice to help you stay injury free would be to eat pink sausage. Eww I gagged a little when I typed that.

UntPawGal02 said...

Hoping you have an injury free season as well :)

ShirleyPerly said...

You're a mind reader! I have been giving a lot of thought to this very topic recently having had some annoying calf/foot pains that I don't want to become full-blown side-lining injuries. I think I need to make staying injury-free a goal for me too.

Beth said...

Injury free is my big 2008 goal too! I love it - big strong engine - much harder to "break"! Good luck in achieving this goal!!

Eileen said...

You did it in 07, you can do it even bigger and better in 08! Love how Coach put it in those "tough to interpret" terms ;-) HA! I think I get it....

E

Kellye Mills said...

I told my husband that that is what was missing from my season last year... I need to puke more! :)

I think it's awesome that you stayed injury free through all that you did last year. It makes the rest of us think, ok, maybe it IS possible!

Mel said...

YES...these all make since...and I myself am learning to slow down on my running pace so I can go longer and build up my engine ( I like that term) :)..... then add the speed later as the runs are becoming easier!!!
Thank you for this outline!!!

allbilly said...

Periodization. It seems to me that most folks probably have too much volume and too little quality. But seriously, I'm neither a coach nor an endurance junky, so don't listen to me.

But I will say I think too many endurance athletes have too little fun. Keep it fun.

Crash said...

Best of luck in 'o8! And does loosing toenails count? I'm up to four this year...bleh.

Marni said...

The goal of every athlete..injury free ALL season!! You are a smart athlete and I know you won't push over the limit. It is smart to have a coach to guide you along the way.
Don't forget about recovery nutrition! Email me if you need anything :)

Speed Racer said...

There's a reason they don't pay athletes to be smart. So many people could BS a "scientific" explanation for hours, but I think that it takes real smarts to put it into words (and sounds) that we can all understand. Sounds like a pretty smart explanation to me. At least I understood it better than before. I hope that doesn't make me dumb?