Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Being a champ...

This photo really has nothing to do with this post... but I had to use it because I am so smart I figured out who my anonymous comment leaver is and the "dolphin boy", and the one who leaves me crazy phone messages & emails... He is also the one who was in charge of the dolphins and let me in to play with them & gave me this photo! Ha- busted! I know who you are!

Okay, back to my post!

My tri coach, Coach Paul & I have a pretty good coach/athlete relationship. In fact he knows me so well he can tell when I am hiding something or when I am being stubborn. SO... after that 5.2 road race he sends me an email and I knew then that he could tell what was eating at me. The email was so simple and so true that I had to share it. I think it is easy to relate to weather you are a rookie, amateur, seasoned pro, first year pro (me), or just hungry to be your best...

Here is my email...

Hi Bree,
Congrats on a great training block. I love your competitive spirit about the local race. That was an excellent effort. However, remember this difference with how you view your result:

Amateur: Focuses on the time and how they wish they would have broken the time goal.
Pro: Knows they could have hit their goal if they were focusing on this as an important race and is very satisfied with no further thought of what the actual time was.

Which are you?
Recover like a champion,

Coach


19 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

I really liked this, because I got really caught up in a race last year that didn't mean anything and had to have my coach "explain" things to me! :)

Now we just need for you to share the other emails he sends you with all of the "secret formulas!"

Great picture too!

Eileen Swanson said...

Perfect, love it....gotta similar lecture. He is the best! We are going to have an awesome year, at least we will learn tons and have fun!

E

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Thanks for sharing. Excellent.

Brooke Myers said...

He sure hit it on the nail without any questions!!
I guess it's important to distinquish the aspects of the many races...
:)

kerrie said...

great words of wisdom!
i am so jealous of your dolphin pics, i want to do that!!!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

That's why he's your coach! He knows you well and also know how to keep you in check!

Love the pic!

Beth said...

Thanks so much for sharing this email from your coach Bree!! I have so much trouble with this because I want EVERY race to be an A race!!! It's hard for me to let that go sometimes so this was an excellent reminder that each race has it's own purpose!

Anyway - I agree with your coach - your competitive spirit is inspiring and SOOO fun!! Have a great day!

Ange said...

Hi Bree, I just found your blog and I already inspired!! I love your coach's comment. It sounds familar to something mine would say. An important part of this sport is learning to be focused and to have a purpose for all races And workouts.
Love the dolphin pic! I'm in SNOWY Maine and that scene looks so so so inviting to me right now.

Mel said...

OK....did you slip some Wee bread to the Dolphin Boy too.....HA! OK, I need to stop:) What a great email from your coach....totally makes since!!!

Mel said...

oooppppss I meant sense

Mira Lelovic said...

What a great message from your coach. You are so disciplined for listening to him and sticking to your "priority" training plan. You did AWESOME at that race regardless!

Mira Lelovic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mira Lelovic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iain Banks said...

That is really sound advice. With being a pro now, the approach and attitude to racing must be completely different to "regular" AG'ers. Every workout and race is just a building block to the main goals...being a World Champion!

TATI said...

'tis true- smart coach :)

Anonymous said...

You know nothing about me..... i want some wee bread....!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Bree...

thanks for sharing your coaches wisdom....awesome because now you're coaching others through it.

ShirleyPerly said...

Great advice. Thanks for sharing!!

Bob Mitera said...

Great comment by your coach.