Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Girls Just Wanna have Fun...

Wendy, Lana, Me, & Rani post-tready session!

If you have even one friend who will kick your @$$ with you then consider yourself lucky... BUT if you have 3 then consider yourself in for one heck of a good time!

Oh the beloved tready sessions! They aren't just for snow birds, moms who can only train in the dark, people on rehab, they are for those in the mood to HURT, SUFFER, be CHALLENGED, & push beyond their limits (without cheating). On the real road you can easily relax, breathe, slow for a second... BUT on the tready if you dare even think of pausing mid-interval you will fly off the back and endure pain worse than wimping out on the interval!

5am...Wendy, Lana, Rani, and me....4 tready's waiting to be fired up....vrooom... a bunch of buff men lifting weights looking at us strangely as we approach the "love of our lives-better known as the stinky tready's"...

After a nice warm up, some girl talk, and laughing it was time to get down to business.

The main set: 20 x 1 minute fast (as 10 at 10k pace, 5 at 5k pace, 5 at puke pace) with 1 minute light jog between each. The 10k and 5k pace was pretty easy...each round only lasted a minute. It was that "puke" pace that kind of hurt. By this time you are feeling it, fatiguing, nearly dehydrated, tight muscles, mentally pooped, the usual...and by this time you have sweat flying at each other and a crowd of gym-goers looking at us like we have too much energy this early in the morning...

My favorite saying is, "If you can't do it in training you can't do it in racing". So, for the final 5 I made sure to let it be known that we need to PUSH! We need to CHALLENGE ourselves... and off we went! It was almost scary seeing the tready go so fast and hearing 4 of them roaring like they were about to blow up. Imagine 4 girls grunting, faces all grimaced, sweat flying, arms and legs turning over at alarmingly high rates... I had to laugh at us! It was the most fun I have ever endured on a tready!

I challenge you on your next tready session to make it count! Just have a little fun...

Getting started, make sure your tready is set to at least a grade of 1. (1 is considered flat road). Less than 1 has studies that show it is actually less than flat road (if possible) and may be bad for the knees because it is less than flat... (don't ask me to explain, I am no scientist, I just follow the preventative rules)... and a grade of 1 is equivalent to the pace you plug in on the tready. (This is for lack of wind resistance) For example, you are at an incline of 0 and think you plug in an 8 mile pace... SORRY... not 8 mile pace it is 8:20! Ya, crazy Science, BUT a 1 incline is not even noticeable! Check these links to learn more: Tready pros/cons & Tready Pace Chart

Have fun!

19 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey Bree, I love your blog! It is super fun reading about your training, and your little boy is sooo cute!

Keep it up!

Kellye Mills said...

How cool is that that you have a treadmill girl club! I'm totally jealous! I know one guy that may do something kind of like that, BUT no girls!!

And did not know that about the treadmill. Have you always run at a 1 incline?

BreeWee said...

Kel, ALWAYS always I have ran at a 1 incline. Even before I got into sport and was in college on a tready once this fitness instructor told me that a 0 is bad for your knees, she never explained why (or I just didn't care to listen) but it stuck in my brain and I automatically put it to 1 from that day on. The other info I only have been using/knowing since I started working with my coach.

Mel said...

OK LAST ONE...Now you are sliding the WEE BREAD to the girls too...DAM IT, I better get some bread in St.Croix :) OK done, before people REALLY start thinking we are weird :)~ How fun that would be, 4 crazy girls going all out on the treadmill...I run with girls every Friday (outside) and it turns into a MEL venting session...soooo much fun (well at least for me)
1 incline...ummmm I can totally feel the difference....not so easy!!

Lisa said...

Sounds like an awesome workout! Early start, too! I'm sure you had the tready cranked up to nearly top speed on the puke intervals. I also always run at a 1% incline, since running at 0 grade can be similar to downhill running. (And I have been doing A LOT of treadmill running the past few weeks!)

Eileen Swanson said...

So cool that you have cool chicks to train with on the dreaded tready ;-) I have a run puke pace workout coming up tomorrow, a bit different than yours. I am so going to be thinking about you and your girlies ;-)

Cute pic!
E

Anonymous said...

Bree,
I have ALWAYS run at a 1% incline and tell my folks to do the same...it is just like running outside. 0% is like slightly downhill..yes yes yes! I have become a HUGE fan of the treadmill just in the last couple of years and it is my savior in the wintertime and for my hard brick (bike to run to bike to run to bike...) and just for that extra POP.....thanks for sharing! :) Jen H.

Brooke Myers said...

Hey coach, when will you add this tready workout into my training?
Sounds like a kick a** workout...

Luis and I were chatting tonight about you and your new take on the gentle yoga, he too likes the less intense classes and says you should join him Weds. nights for Jen's class. We all know you won't give up swim practice though...

Brooke Myers said...

Jen's wed. night class is more gentle and restorative.. You should give it a try soemtime!

Marni said...

I couldn't agree more!!! Every tues is my interval day on the treadmill. I love the treadmill!!! But on the weekends..give me some open air so I can get into a zone and just run where my feet take me!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

There's nothing like some good friend gutting it out on the treadmill together...you are so lucky to have them! It's very motivating and but also easier when the alarm clock goes off knowing the girls will be waiting!

Jen in Budapest said...

unfortunately now that I'm not at the gym for awhile, I'm confined to open road runs, but I never thought of it that way....you can't relax or take in surroundings because you'll go flying. Definitely helps with focus!! Thanks for making me smile. I love the fact the girlies are gettin' it done and havin' fun.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

LOVE IT!

VROOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!! :)

Awesome - simply amazing.

greyhound said...

Your wrecking crew must be made of sterner stuff than the mainlanders at my gym. It is rare to see a woman running--let alone running hard-- on our treadies. I can only imagine the wall of sound kicked out by four women like that tearing it up on the treadies. My gym would grind to a halt from shear shock.

Jen in Budapest said...

OK, Bree - I'm trying your Banana bread recipe tonight -- I'm makin' it for tomorrows party. I know it will be great but I don't have coconut oil or island salt...I'll do my best without sugar and let you know.....(although I may cheat and make an icing....;0)

jessica rae kirkwood said...

Bree!
Do you know of a place my 3 friends I could stay for one night in Kona tomorrow (the 16th). I'd like to swim at the pier on Sunday morning too, and a long run on Alii !! We're going to ride over tomorrow (saturday). Ok I hope to hear from you soon! Do you have a number I can reach you at?
I'm going to bike up Mauna Loa right now!!
Jess

jessica rae kirkwood said...

Also if you're in... next weekend we are going to ride up Mauna Kea (I only want to go up to 7000), but my two friends are going all the way to 14000 (or at least attempting to). Then I'm going to run up from 13000-14000. That will take about 30min at altitude. I'd love company!!!! We will have my friend as support too.

ShirleyPerly said...

Wish I had others to do tready workouts with but I don't currently have a gym membership. I love getting the tready real sweaty :-)

Jenny Garrison said...

Bree,
Too funny. I train a ton on the TM. Mostly b/c of the weather here. My coach had me fall in love with it all over again. I think besides my computrainer that is my favorite thing in our house! I always thought my coach was nuts when she said to run at 1.5-2% grade but now I know why! Except of course right now b/c I am a turtle and if I could I would run downhill all the time. Keep up the great work!
Jenny