Monday, February 4, 2008

Mango Madness...

Kona is a pretty funny little town (in more ways than one). The athletes in the community will find ANY reason to have a race. We have the "cranberry crawl" swim & "gobble till ya wobble" run on Thanksgiving, we have "jingle bell" runs at Christmas, New Year's biathlons, birthday races, Coffee Parade 1 mile runs during the Kona Coffee festival, Easter swim races where you swim out to a kayak in the middle of the ocean, grab an Easter egg, stuff it down your swim suit, then race back. We even have a Valentines race where the hubby carries the wife and the winner gets his wifes weight in pounds of rice! I want to win that but my husband can't carry me as fast as some of the other guys can run their 80 pound little Filipino wives!

Well, yesterday was a holiday (sort of) it was super bowl, SO Kona had the Super Bowl Mango triathlon... they called it a sprint. The swim was not accurate, they guessed it at just over a 1/2 mile, the bike was GPSed at 15 miles (3 loops up and around Hualalai) and the run was an even 6 (not a 10k).

I love these races. They are "locals" only sort of races because they are free, no sign ups, no prize money, no USAT rankings, just the Kona people having a darn good time! Every now and then we get some out-of-staters (I have raced Joanna Ziegger, Jo lawn, Lori Bowden at some of these local crazy races) but, mostly local buddies and rivals making another excuse to train together.

Yesterday was much of the same... 1, 2, 3 GO! for the start, my little sister sitting on the pier yelling for my friend Jen "Naughty" to knock me over (the swim was a loop, then run around a cone on the beach, then the second loop and Brooke so badly wanted Jen to knock me down) I guess it would have been fun for the spectators...
The image “http://www.teammangoraces.com/sitebuilder/images/pre-ironman_tri_photos_2_037-164x262.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

The bike was a hilly 3 looper and my favorite course ever! I call it "little St. Croix" since it is hilly and has one little climb I feel the need to stand on ("the Beast"), of course it is NO WHERE near as tough-I tell myself it is so I can practice for St. Croix...

Now, I knew today we had Shonny Vanlandigham (4th overall at Xterra with the fastest bike and 2nd fastest run) and of course the "Italian Rookie". I teamed up with Jen for the swim knowing we could clobber them, then the bike would hurt trying not to let them catch us. Mission accomplished as Jen, Jason, and I exited the water 1-2-3, and left Shonny and the "Italian Rookie" 3 minutes back.

On that bike I kept telling myself it was the "Beast" and to keep going, LOVE the burn in the quads! Shonny never caught me but the "Italian Rookie" got me on the 3rd loop and pulverized me from then on out!

The run was one ugly 6 mile hill climb but ended with a down hill and turned onto good old All'i Drive and finish at the exact same spot of Ironman. This run felt like I just rode 112 miles previously... my legs were so heavy! I did all I could to catch the "Italian Rookie". I imagined I was racing Ironman for real and had to push through the run pain... it didn't work... I blamed it on the fact that the day before the race my "AWESOME COACH" had me run 15 miles! He knew it wasn't an "A" race so he let me enjoy pushing through fatigue and working on my mental strength. (Mahalo Coach Paul)!!

It was another great Sunday here on the Big Island... so thankful for my amazing friends and training partners, for Jen to be racing this season after the birth of her second child- I needed her to push me on the swim and it worked. Happy we have sunshine and a great ocean to swim in. AND, the hi-light, my swim time was 1 min 10 seconds faster than last years at the same race and my bike split was 1 min. faster, BUT the run was 1 min 2 seconds slower ( I will blame it all on that 15 miler (mahalo again coach)! And Shonny never caught me... BUT I love that girl and EXPECT her to hand me my @$$ on a plate this Saturday at the Big Island Time Trial!!

10 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like a lot of fun!!! (maybe not as fun with a 15 miler the day before but... :) Congrats on such big improvements in your swim and bike. I'd imagine it's pretty hard to swim that much faster in such a short distance!! You'll get the Italian Rookie next time!! :)

Eileen said...

Sweet, sounds like a blast. Congrats on your PRs. I now know those precious workouts the day before can HURT when you race the next day. I was thanking Coach too....See you soon,

E

Mel said...

How did that "STROKE" go through the race ha!!! Did you do it with GRACE??? :) Great job on your splits!!

j-mo said...

I think "awesome Coach Paul" had a theme going this weekend.
I was hurtin' too..

Jen Naughty said...

I love this Blog..........and I love this town........yep......there's sumpin' bout' all us multisport enthusiasts that just keeps us comin' to start line that sometimes we can't even figure out why.....It hurts so fun:) Loved Hangin on the Wee's feet..woo hoo:) never saw ya again......y'er too fast...Well done Wee and nice race....I wanna be closer next time...Vroommmmmmmm(in my dreams!!)

Kellye Mills said...

That sounds like soooo much fun! Congratulations on a fun, fast race!

Brooke Myers said...

I didn't actually want Jen to knock you down, but keep up on your toes. Motivation and hard work for both of you. I was only cheering and that was the fun of it - I have no idea what words may come out.
Just be glad I was running instead and not racing you...Ha ha

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Nice job Bree - you rock! What a fun report to read! I'll send you lots of "good vibes" for you TT next Saturday. You'll do GREAT! (think tony the tiger... :)

Ashley said...

AWESOME - sounds like so much fun... just reading about it made me smile, think my heart-rate increased too ;) Way to go, stud.

kerrie said...

ooh, i recognize that pic of the "beast"! you are getting some great work in!!!