Sunday, March 9, 2008

Reporting from Noosa...

G'day mates!!
Talk about spectacular! EVERYTHING is spectacular! Australia is just beautiful & full of life and my roomies are super! I am rooming with Kim Loeffler, Eileen Swanson, & Katya Meyers. The training is off to a good start and looks like it should become an adventure in the days ahead. Tonight we have a "training" meeting with coach to discuss the sessions we are about to embark on. Let's just say next week I have 7 swims in 7 days! (I have never in my life swam that much in 7 days). I swim roughly 3x a week 3,000 yards a workout. I am about to swim "Aussie" style...5,000 METERS 7x!

Let's talk about that race yesterday (today is Sunday so it was yesterday) thanks for all the well wishes... it was silly going from a full day travel-4hrs sleep-to a race all in 24 hours. BUT I embraced the challenge and feel that much better for it. To my surprise I hung tuff on the first swim and came out of the water just a few seconds back from the lead pack. BUT that swim also was a bit speedy for me or maybe my run legs were still on the plane because that run HURT! I slowly faded from 3rd to 6th. Then back for the second swim I was doing all I could to keep from drowning. Now to the second run I think the "Irongirl" in me was holding tuff but the legs weren't wanting to go anything faster than a 6 min. mile pace, so I got passed "again" and finished 7th. I have a ton of valuable lessons to take from this race, A TON! But I will save those for me to use as training weapons for my next race... BUT here is the coolest part, the girls! The girls in the race were so cool, it was like being in the mix with a ton of lighting bolts flying around!
ITU studs Rina Hill, Lisa Norton, Lisa Mensink (team mate and 2nd place), & a few other Olympians and Aussie animals were just amazing to see race that up close! I wanted to ask for aurographs and the girl that I am was actually cheering for my competition! When Smith passed me I was going nuts for her (I know I need to work on this prom queen cheering thing I have going on). And that was the race... in a nut shell. I left out the part of smacking Eileen's @$$ in transition and yelling at her in the swim (during a dolphin dive).

Okay... Sunday. The swim this morning was an Aussie-style surf swim with Max the Aussie. Max leads all the swims here and is so amazing. He may have been a dolphin in a past life or something. We arrive at this BEAUTIFUL huge white sandy beach with head high surf (no joke- big waves) . Max teaches us some cool tricks about dolphin diving, making it out in the surf, riding waves, and other skills that give the Aussies the swim edge in ocean swimming. It was so much fun! A couple times I wondrered why in the world I was swimming & not surfing! Hawaii has not had waves like we swam in this morning in months!!

Now livin' the life, resting before a 2 hr base run through the kangaroo forest! I wish you all were here. Heather Graham-Kim say's "hi". We have been talking about you. Jes-Paul and Lisa say "hi" and we miss you! And Jamie, we all wish you were here! I thought about you swimming this morning & how much more fun it would be than freezing in Canada.

Cheers to you all! Happy training...
Wee

12 comments:

Beth said...

Yeah Bree!!! Way to be tough and hold tight on your race with little sleep and lots of travel!! Glad things got off to such a great start for you. Swim like a fish and have fun!!

beth said...

sounds absolutely amazing! enjoy every minute!
congrats on a nice race too.

Naughty said...

You know I am checking this blog for the vicarious experience......sounds like a blast.....back home all pieces are in order; Dela Torre and Tanimoto took the Hops 5K for Brewer's fest and pocketed a plane ticket to anywhere USA....and saw your sis riding w/the Saturday World Cup Races...(Heard there was a serious real Italian Pro just riding away from everyone after, get this, an 800 bloody mile week!!) and then me.....the NEW queenette of bonking on a very poorly paced and undernourished run...walk/running the last 3 miles...oh yea Hall of Shame!!)...keep us posted; your ride is golden right now and one you can cherish forevah!!

Trigirlpink said...

Base run in the kangaroo forest? Sounds soooo awesome and the beaches sound incredible. What a treat you are experiencing. Train hard and enjoy the rest in between! :-)

Pedergraham said...

Sounds like a lot fun down there. Kim L. wrote on her blog that Coach Paul is there to make sure you girls don't go surfing instead of training! That made me giggle.
Good on you for jumping right into the race and for keeping it fun at the same time!
-Danielle "Pedergraham"

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Yea Bree!!!!!! You had the VVRROOOOOMM in your legs inspite of flying and flying and flying some more. Nice job! Youf camp sounds simply amazing and I know that you will grow with each incredible moment. Thanks for updating! (Love the questions posed on the previous post...)

j-mo said...

awesome!! keep the updates coming and tell the crew i said g'day!!
ps.. running in the kangaroo forest sounds so cool!

Kellye Mills said...

That sounds so great!! It sounds like your settled in and ready to GO!! Go give those aussies a run for their money and show them what you Hawaiian girls have!!

And is surfing NOT allowed?? Maybe you could sneak in a quick "recovery" one! :)

Have fun for us all!

Chad Holderbaum said...

Wow Bree! Great job in the race, and it really sounds like you're having an awesome time. Enjoy the rest of your time down under!

Brooke Myers said...

We all missed you at the time trial this morning LOts and LOts...

Hope you are having fun!

Anonymous said...

I rode behind your sis during the time trial today....she got sick and puked her guts out around mile 6...everyone behind her about died of the smell!!
Running in kangaroo forest? Did you see the Captain anywhere?
Sounds like you are having a blast. Have fun and learn lots!
dolphinboy....~~~~^~~~~~Fins up!!

jessica rae kirkwood said...

Use all the energy you have on missing your family towards your workouts and experiences. Still miss your family... but use it as positive energy and dedicate parts of your training days to them.

Can you tell Lisa to check out my blog... I went to see running lava two nights ago and I want her to see my photos. I'm going to put them up in a day or two. If she comes for Lavaman, I will bring her to Kilauea's flow.

Thanks and hang in there, its worth it.

Jess