Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stepping up & Blocking it out...

What a day! I woke up and had to block out the STIFF & HEAVY feeling in my legs from the nearly 8 hr training day yesterday! I knew if I even thought about the way my legs felt as if an elephant sat on them I would never make it through today...

Our day started out at 4:45am with a "wake up" jog in the dark through Noosa Town near the ocean. Then we hit the beach for another open-water surf/swim session with Max and the Aussie studs. I am really falling in love with these workouts! I find myself dreaming about them. Just maybe in a next life or something I think I want to be a surf-rescue athlete! Okay, back to the swim... we had 3x in & outs, 3x ocean race, 2x in & outs, 2x ocean race, 1x in & out, 1x ocean race. I just love it! It is such a challenge to dive through the waves after nearly being out of breath from running in the sand then chasing Lisa or Molly out to the buoys. I made my challenge of the morning to be "hang the heck on to Lisa Mensink or Aussie Molly no matter what". Talk about OUCH! For sure they are way better swimmers but I want to be a better swimmer so I stepped it up a gear and fought through the waves and through the loss of oxygen and through the pain in my legs and arms... I would have to say mission accomplished on this effort. NO I did not hang onto their feet every meter of the way but I swam WAY better than if I never gave myself that challenge.

Next up... the tready session. I have seen this before. 5x5 sub-threash-hold or threash-hold pace. Once again I had to block out something. Just what I did NOT want: the treadmill with the darn TV attached! So my challenge was looking beyond that darn thing! Okay okay to the session. Lisa Mensink and Aeysha Rollins (my ITU stud teammates) and me had to hammer out 5x5 and not piss off coach Paul. So, he gave us our paces and to his amazement he WAS WRONG! I think the energy in the room and having such positive chicks to run with carried us faster than his expectations of us. I started off on a pace that was my fastest effort the last time I did the workout. Then he spiced it up for me to 18! (in "American" as I would say that was 5:20 miles). I was really loving the challenge to hold on and not fly off and I was loving the fact Lisa (on her way to the Olympics) was just going balls-to-the-wall on 18.5! I have no idea what that is "American". I think it is 5 or 5:10 miles. Whatever it was her pushing made me want to push and made me step it up...

I am really finding that setting the bar higher than you imagine you can go is your best bet to reach new peaks in sport. You just might make it & if you don't most likely you went beyond what you would have done if you set the bar less challenging...

13 comments:

Marni said...

wow! Your posts are amazing. Sounds like you are really gaining a lot from this trip!

Terra said...

Bree- I am so glad that your trip is going so well. You are doing so well with handling the training and the emotions that creep up being away from family. Keep it up! Definetly wish I was there with you guys- nothing like having others to push you. Take care and enjoy the time you have left.
God Bless- TC

Nitsirk said...

Wow, your enthusiasm is an inspiration. I have been in a bit of a funk since Ironman last summer but reading about your adventures has gotten me excited to train and race again. Now if only the darn snow would melt...

TB said...

Usually our greatest weakness is letting ourselves "think" we can't do something.

Your mental toughness seems to be your greatest improvement down there.

Looking forward to see your next big race.

It will seem so easy for you.

Keep it up!

Trigirlpink said...

Way to go. FLYING HIGH!! :-)

ps: Do you miss your juicer?? Haha..

Cy said...

Keep up the amazing efforts. I'll be remebering these posts when I attempt to step out of my own comfort zone. You're mental toughness is remarkable!!

jessica rae kirkwood said...

That is scary fast!
Great job!

Pedergraham said...

Oh boy, so much math and fast running at the same time. I would have fallen off the back of the treadmill, for sure.

Way to go with the hard running and the lifeguard swimming and blocking out the fatigue!!!
-Danielle

Mel said...

I miss my little Bree buddy.....I need your humor...Geeze, Hurry up with that camp already :)

Brooke Myers said...

Seriously, I am with Mel on the hurry it up with the camping.
Just get back to the Island already...

Everyone is asking about you and I might just start telling fibs to everyone about your where abouts.
Maybe rehab or going to seek after Brittany Spears.. I'll keep thinking of something good... ha ha

Speed Racer said...

Sounds like you're still having a great time. Then again, with your attitude I think your legs could fall off and you'd just finish the workout anyway and keep on smiling. You are going to be FIERCE this season!

Leigh Anne said...

You're the best Bree...thanks for the comment...you always make me laugh.

Yeh, finally got this blog going...I LOVE yours even more.

I havent made any new earrings but I send you some when I do.

Love ya!

vabna islam said...


Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
How does a triathlon work