Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Surf's up!

No surfing yet... BUT we had an AWESOME surf swim this morning...
5:30am to the ocean we went to swim and beach run (9x through). It was my most FUN training session in my whole entire life of being a triathlete. I really think this workout was made for a surfer with all the battling of the waves. Not tiny beach break waves, I am talking you could surf these waves if you wanted to. My entire swim suit was filled to the top with sand and my swim cap nearly came off 3 times (my goggles did but I saved them). It is truly a challenge having to swim-run-swim and repeat. When you get back in the water after running and your breath is already gone swimming is a bit of an @$$ kicker, but I was smiling and laughing and cussing in 12 languages through it. My kind of swim for sure!

Next up...eat & nap (yeah life is hard here in Australia)

Then to the track. This was by far the coolest track I have ever seen! It was a grass track! Incredible! The workout was 8x1 mile repeats at off-the-bike half marathon goal pace. We ran in the 1:30pm heat so I felt right at home in the sunshine. I loved this too- I don't do much track training so this had me fired up! THANKFULLY my only problem was pacing... I was making all my goal repeat paces but a little faster than I was supposed to. My biggest challenge is running off the bike & coach is working really hard with me to not push the pace from the start and die a few minutes or miles later. SO I was again pushing my pace... Too bad too because coach was going to buy me a reward (and I had a koala in mind) if I could actaully make the darn pacing!

Next up...eat some lunch

Then a 45 minute core/strength/flexibility session.

And finally... eat dinner & now I am about to hit the sheets!

I would LOVE to post photos BUT we aren't able to with this slow dial-up connection we have going on. I will try to get some pix up soon...

Night!

16 comments:

TB said...

What a cool day!!!

Pedergraham said...

Sounds like an awesomely fun swim. I think us Northerners would have been parched in that midday track workout. (BTW--I am awful at track workouts. I only made it to one last year b/c of babysitting issues, but Kim told me afterwards that I was not supposed to "descend" intervals at the track--only in pool!)
-Danielle

Iain Banks said...

Sounds like they are working you hard.....keep up the great work!

Trigirlpink said...

8xmile is tough stuff sista. Rock on.

greyhound said...

I kinda wish I had grown up or lived near the ocean so I wouldn't be so freaked out about big water like that.

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Sounds like heaven out there!

Brooke Myers said...

Some tough stough you got going on there... I thought about you while I was treadmilling it up this morning. Let me just say I ended with a 6:57 pace... OUCH OUCH OUCH...

What's on your agenda tomorrow???

Audrey said...

hi! i hope you don't mind but i linked to your blog today re: USAT rankings. we're in the same age group and i came across a few names i recognized from the blogosphere!

hope all is well!

shawn and tracy said...

I would kill to be in Aussie land with your group. Please send warm weather to CO!

Keep up the great work...you are sure to have a rockin season :)

Tracy

Anonymous said...

Bree...keep on rockin' sister!! We miss you in Hawaii....I finally made it to Master's tonite! Goodtimes! but rather would like to swim in the bay than the pool.
Keep writing this awesome Auzzie blog!!
Dolphinboy

Speed Racer said...

Eh, who needs pacing. Maybe if you train hard enough you can just push all the way through like it were the first 1 mile off the bike. Pacing is for weenies.

I say he gives you the koala anyway, or gives you a second chance.

j-mo said...

ha.. i can picture Paul shaking his head at you and your "pacing"
Thats great stuff.. keep the updates coming.
Jamie.

Lana said...

Bree - I read in on the USAT site that you were named USAT Female Triathlete of the year - Congratulations!! Keep kickin' ass, girl!

Kellye Mills said...

I read this and can't help thinking in my head, "BREE, BREE, BREE, BREE!!" Like I'm cheering for you from here!!

It sounds like you're having a GREAT time. I can't wait to see pictures!

Mel said...

Still hanging tough....I don't think you have a ounce of not giving it your all...You are SUPER speed at all times ;)

vabna islam said...


Nice article. I think it is useful and unique article. I love this kind of article and this kind of blog. I have enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your website.
How does a triathlon work