Friday, April 4, 2008

Celebrating...

Ever notice life is constantly in full swing? Ever notice how sometimes life becomes one big blurr and you forget to see clearly the things worth looking at? I have found the things worth enjoying come and go in a single breath because sometimes my focus is on "other" things, usually "stressful" things.

I didn't recognize my lack of celebration on great moments in life until a chat with coach. He calmed me down & told me I need to just stop for a second and "celebrate". I need to celebrate honors I have won, achievements, new PR's, support I have, and just really let them take over in my life.

This morning at coffee (juice for me) coach could see in me my sense of sparkle and shine for sport starting to loose some luster. Maybe I didn't hide it very well... so for the race this weekend he told me it is a "D" race. I can wave to everyone, high five every hand in the air, I can try to hold on to feet of swimmers too fast for me and I can ride my bike the way I like to ride. I can run easy over the lava (he knows I am scared of off-road running), I can pull a "Bree Wee" and go nuts for a 5k, I even get to slow down at the dolphins ( I might stop to pet them)...

During this chat it was as if racing (which I JUST LOVE to do) was about to become "celebrating". I was going to just enjoy the swim, the bike, the run... all the things I love.

A promise I made to myself as an athlete is to never lose my love & passion for sport. To never let training become a chore. To never dread a race. To never lose sight of something I am physically able to do!

Come this Sunday, at the Lavaman Triathlon, if you see someone with a smile so big it looks silly, an arm waving uncontrollably to every friend & local I come across, a girl on a shiny white bike vrooming up hills and probably laughing because during the motor pacing I got "dropped" thank you very much ES, then someone in a white visor, pink laces on green Asics racing flats, and running as if I actually am having fun... that would be me... I am celebrating!

I think with the challenging training I have been doing, the moments in life I take for granted, the pressure I put on myself, the roles I play in life, I am need of some celebrating. No racing for me this Sunday... BRING ON THE CELEBRATION!

21 comments:

TB said...

Coach is wise. Sometimes we need to "slow" down and smell the roses. Life is to be enjoyed and savored. The ability to even race no matter the speed is a huge blessing.

Looking forward to reading your Celebration Report.

Kellye Mills said...

Oh... I think this is the PERFECT plan!! I am so very much like that and really have a hard time celebrating my own success because I have a tendency to always think I could have done better. But without the celebration, why else would we go through what we do to get there.

Have a BLAST!! Take it easy!! and ENJOY!! I hope you have a great weekend! You deserve it!

And I LOVE that picture. It says it all doesn't it!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Bree-believe in yourself, believe in your abilities, and the hard work you have put in. HAVE FUN and do your celebrating. You are an amazing person and athlete and we all love you for what you are!

Leigh Anne said...

Go have FUN and remember to keep it FUN.

Hey, do you remember I use to always yell at you when we use pass each other on the bike...you on one side of Queen K road...I on the other.

Got a question, when is TOm Sena's 6 mile swim...you know the Keauhou to Pier swim...Im trying to plan my vacation home.

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Bree, the day you take it easy during a race is the day I do my
3rd hawaii ironman! Come on girl...you KNOW you will be out their with that in mind but something takes over you and you blast off like a rocket or torpedo!! Make sure your pink hat is on straight this time!!! ha!
Did you ever locate your swim bag Wed night? ha ha!!
Oh and don't put your finger in the blow hole of the dolphins when you see them sunday!!

Dolphin Boy....

Marni said...

enjoy the race and be sure to smile!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Super cool way to put things in perspective. You are in the right place and mind now. I love how you try to find the humor in things. Maybe it would help to have fun on a swing like you son too right before the race! I always love how my kids live in the moment. It's a great reminder about what is really important in life!

Cy said...

Bree-By the sounds of it, you have SO MUCH to celebrate. Have a blast!!

Eileen Swanson said...

This is so cool! Coach is going to let you "let loose" out there. SWEET Wee! So true that we lose sight of things so important because we are so meshed in our busy lives. I too had an "awakening." Work is just not the same these days after our trip to Oz. I have had many chats woth those around me that I love and now I think I see the light ;-)

Love ya,
E

Brooke Myers said...

I will be out there making sure you are smiling and waving and having fun... You can still a great race and have fun while doing it..
I think your coach gave you a great talk...

See you race day!

shawn and tracy said...

Hi Bree,
Congrats on your races, surviving an amazing and tough sounding training camp and making back home in one piece :) You are rocking it!!!

Tracy

Mel said...

Go and be YOU BREE....that FUN girl...Look at Natasha Badmann she is always smiling and waving...Chrissie Wellington, smiley and high fiving!!! I love watching super fast girls (like you) that are not 100% serious faced, but rather free spirited and can tell that the passion of the sport is there...so go and CELEBRATE :) Be free like Kainoa is in that swing!!!!Have fun and kick some BUTT with that Wee SMILE :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

I LOVE the picture of Kaiona in the swing - so freeing, so wonderful. Sounds like you're learning so much about yourself and about the sport. No doubt, it'll pay dividents. Have FUN this weekend! Can't wait to see you celebration-day report and pictures! I'll be sending you LOTS and LOTS of good vibes!

Beth said...

Good luck Bree!!! Have a blast doing what you love - doesn't sound too hard! :) Can't wait to hear all about it!

Ange said...

Thank you for this post Bree. It is so very important. I hope that you enjoy every minute of your non-race on Sunday! I have moments where I dread my training and the day to day pressure to get more workouts in and I agree, we have to stop and celebrate the fact that we are able to do what we love to do. Have a super fun day!!!

Speed Racer said...

Thank goodness! It seems like you're ALWAYS being told to reign yourself in. Have fun letting loose tomorrow! I bet the photos will be fabulous.

(And thank you so much for reminding us that it's not only us slow pokes that get burnt out!)

Trigirlpink said...

Whooo hooo! Celebration par-tee time! Plez post pix of Bree fun!

Bruce Stewart said...

Whatever happens have a good day Sunday at the Lavaman race. If it is not a perfect race, at least people will recognize that you are still human. Enjoy yourself. We all hope you will do really well.

Crash said...

Bree - please, please, please at the end of Lava Man drink a Kona for me(or 5)...in Celebration! The closest I'm getting is a Coors Cutter and a cheap cigar.

Mel said...

AWESOME ON THE WIN BREE.....YOU WON and now you can REAlly celebrate....wahooooooo I bet coach is PROUD :)
BTW: ha funny on the matching Splish suits...I should jump at that offer maybe they will mix us up then and think I am the FAST girl..ya think :)

Leigh Anne said...

Yipeeeee..you won!Congratulations!

MAYBE see you at St. A's??? We are thinking of driving up to see you.

Love you lots...congrats again. Banana