Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Going up...

The 3.5 mile warm up, up Hina Lani with Janet...

It doesn't look all that steep here, but this is where I told coach to please quit talking to me (he was in the rescue van with Coach Mark). I told him I was concentrating... I was secretly trying to beat my run time up the hill and out bike Susan Dell's course record that she set last year during the Pedal Till Ya Puke race!

Lifesports Lava Camp is in session...

It has been pretty fun getting to know some of the athletes from different states/Canada. Everyone is so laid back and friendly, part of me wishes they could just stay on the island and be my new training partners (especially Janet... I need her to swim with).

Yesterdays ride was the most fun by far! We climbed up Kaloko... everyone from Hawaii knows it and either LOVES it or HATES it (there really is no middle ground). Kaloko climbs from the ocean to well over 5,000 feet in 11 miles. It is one of those hills that you should change your gearing for- which is why until yesterday I have only run up it a bajillion times. Bike Works hooked me up with a 12/27 so I could tackle the hill & believe me I was more than excited!

We started out at Waikoloa and road 25 miles to Hina Lani. Then 3.5 miles up Hina Lani (that is the "warm up" since Hina Lani is a nice little up)! Then we road about a mile North on Mamalahoa Hwy. Finally the fun began... 6.5 miles up Kaloko Dr.! (Next time in Kona-if you don't live here, I HIGHLY suggest you ride it or drive it).

Let me give you a visual of the hill... some cars don't make it up the hill.
Kaloko Drive is a 6.5 mile climb from about 1,500 feet to well over 5,000 feet. It goes up, then up some more, then STRAIGHT up for a minute or 5 where you think you are going to fall off or over (and some people do), then it turns & you think you are done. BUT it goes up some more, then it decides to go up even more with grades that you need to count using both your toes and fingers. And then you hit this spot where you consider walking your bike but of course DON'T (that is where I almost fell backwards without trying to pop-a-wheelie). After climbing higher into the clouds you get to this nice left turn that will take you to the crater of Hulalai Volcano. Here is where you better have ear plugs in if you don't like cuss words because even the clean-mouth people are tossing out some dirt! There really is no way other than doing the post man to get up this last mile. You have to ride side-to-side just to keep the bike moving. Then you are done.

The Kaloko Drive 6.5 miles is one of our islands most challenging races every August. Time wise only a couple men have biked it under 50 minutes. One of them is this Hilo stud and I believe James Cotter. Susan Dell has the bike record for women with 54 or 55 minutes. I have the female run record with 57 minutes so you can see biking it really isn't too much faster... and in my opinion now that I have done both I would rather run it any day!

But the fun isn't over once to the top... you have to go down! This is where I got in the van! I had no shame at all- in fact I was the first one to put my bike in the van and ask for a ride to the bottom of Kaloko (then I would bike down Hina Lani and back to Waikoloa).

I suppose yesterday was a great way to test out my new road bike! And of course practice for the "Beast" in St. Croix...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a freak of nature! Sounds like a fun ride.....to waikoloa that is! ha!
Maybe see ya thursday as I bike Palisades to Waikoloa.
Dolphinboy

TATI said...

by far my favorite climb!!!!
and if u turn left right before the dead end there's another hill my coach said is exactly like the beast. :)

Kellye Mills said...

Oh... that sounds amazing! And look at that beautiful bike! You're so cute too because no matter what the situation, you're always smiling! :)

Bruce Stewart said...

I did the Journey to La La Land three years straight which covers the same hilly course but we start at the pier. I had 39/25 so I had to stand for a long time and push hard round those bends. I had to get off and push up the radio tower road, I just knew that there was no way I could do that bit. I still feel my knee. To be up there was beautiful (especially with da Gecko's hot chocolate), and the ride down was very pleasant, too. I went easy and used the brakes and just hoped the cables would stay intact. What I like about the ride is up there you don't see much except trees and blue sky. Maybe I'll try to do the ride again this year, if I can make it there. I'll see how this year goes.

Trigirlpink said...

Sounds like a really cool ride and REALLY tough! I'm drooling looking at you guys in shorts and bra tops like it's July!
Happy training. :-)

Mel said...

Bree...KEEP practicing that hill...tie bricks to the back of your bike....BECAUSE, you have me scared as SHIT now...and I will be tying my bike to yours and you are going to pull my ass up that BEAST in St.Croix:)

Beth said...

Yikes! Sounds like a great (TOUGH) ride! St. Croix is going to feel like a breeze after that... :) Have a great day!

kerrie said...

nice! if that is the road i'm thinking up, it is the backdrop on my computer with rain standing on the edge of it....except we drove, lol. i don't blame you for taking a ride down - i have been known to hitch rides before down from the peak-to-peak highway ;)

you are going to crush in st.croix!

James Cotter said...

Bree, you're bad ass..period. I want to be like you one day.

Eileen Swanson said...

that hill looks so awesome. i can hear you saying "sit the hell down E, just SIT." yikes, i got scared just thinking about you yelling at me ;-) I MISS YOU SO MUCH!!

P.S. I just did a treadmill workout with Reid and it was so awesome. I thought of you and could hear you telling me to "suck it up."

Love,
E

jason said...

hey, here is the site i was talking about where i made the extra cash, I was making about $900 extra a month...
check it out ..

Ashley said...

AWESOME! Thanks for the climbing pics and written description... Sounds like an excellent day. The new road bike looks fantastic. Have a wonderful weekend!! Keep the fun stories coming.