Sunday, April 27, 2008

Saint Anthony's...

Pro Women Start
Thanks for the fun photo Marni...
First... WHAT a blast! Seriously the level of competition at St. Anthony's is ALWAYS a blast! The volunteers were so much fun (especially the children), and the race was well done...again.

I had so many high lights... my sister, auntie, uncle, & cousin all raced! Too much fun seeing family all over the course cheering and all over the course racing! Seeing Josh, Jen H., Marni, Carolyn, Beth & Oscar, & Kellie also made the race more like "home" having some buddies out there! AND... one of the "thrills" was getting to chat & hang out with some of my awesome supporters!

Now the race: The swim... Nothing new, a bit of an under water wrestling match (note to self: Be more aggressive and not so nice). I love ocean swims (not so much swimming, but being in the ocean) so I had a blast! 90 seconds slower than last year YIKES! I think I will blame it on the chop and current that I got to play in this year.

The bike: Before I even begin I have to post a little something from Websters Dictionary... Stagger: To arrange (a series of parts) on each side of a median line alternately. Phew... now I understand that one! I love to bike, always have and today I felt like biking! Feeling strong and pretty stoked that I was passing a good handful of women I work myself into a position to be proud of just in time to hear a man on a scooter telling me to pull over. I am thinking NO WAY... there is not a single person anywhere near me! Yes, this is flat Florida & a few dozen pace lines are flying by on both sides of the road but I am SOLO.

"Young lady, you have to stand down and serve your penalty here on the side of the road" says Mr. Scooter man. I ask why, clearly there is not a sole near me, the only thing I have ever cheated on was an 11th grade Math test and I failed it still! You are being served a STAGGER penalty. LONG story short I need to be either 2ft to the left or 2ft to the right of any bike in front, as well as out of the draft box.

Finally on the bike I am crying like a baby... just frustrated. Plain out frustrated with how hard I was working and not even in one of the packs. Frustrated to see 5 woman pass me as I sit there helpless. I finally suck it up & ride in the gutter JUST TO MAKE IT CRYSTAL CLEAR I AM 40ft to the right!

Now to the run... since my bike ride was spoiled I decided to run my butt back into top 10. Last year I ran that course in a 41 something so I made certain I was going to try and suck it up and get back in the game! I ran down 3 women and landed a 9th place finish with a 38:06. Yeah, I am happy to take off a good 3 min. in the run and even more happy that I am ready to put this race in the "past". Movin' on with the lessons I learned and the experiences I had. I am happy.

LifeSport Team mate and one of my biggest and best supporters! I love ya Josh and family!

Oscar & Beth (Beth's abs are the reason I do sit ups!)

Kellie and me... I feel SO TALL!

Biggest mahalo to my super supporters! Thanks for making racing possible for me... I LOVE YOU!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Bree....you rock! Good positive thinking getting back into the run. Stagger will never happen again, Im sure... so time to move on and focus on St Croix!! chin up! and keep smilin'

Sounds like you had fun with Family and blogger friends. that's what it's about!

P-

Bruce Stewart said...

I guess the rules are a bit different for pros. Was this a drafting race like the Olympics? Even without the penalty, you had a great time overall. I think conditions were a little tougher on the swim than last year based on the times of the British swimmer at least, and surely the winning girl, Sarah, is all primed up for the Olympics, as was the men's winner. This race is nothing to put in the past, as after being made to feel like a fool you still clawed you way back up to a top-ten finish and a $$$ prize!

Maijaleena said...

Too bad about the penatly, but good race anyway. I saw some of the swim times and figured it must have been rough. Great job out there!

TB said...

Congrats! Great race! You're gonna kick butt in St. Croix.

I had a PR so was very pleased!

Totally missed seeing you today!!!

We bolted as soon as we could. We were packed, showered and on road by 11am. Had to get back home.

RR said...

Hey, great job as always Bree!!!

I'm so sorry about the stagger penalty - I would have been clueless too, but you did great in spite of it! Awesome run :) Way to make Hawaii proud!

RR

Naughty Nottage said...

Love, Love Love your post today.........and that HUGE smile on your face in each of the pics.......I have never heard of a STAGGER penalty either; I too would have been scratchin' my head.........way to rally.........just what a professional would do.

We are proud.......and to Brooke too!!

Naughty Nottage Clan

PS.......1st thing we did was look at results this morning and you

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Great job Bree!! Too bad about the penalty but it happens. Hey, at least you got it out of the way early in the season!
I am so glad you had a blast thought...this might be your job but its suppose to be fun too!

Mel said...

You are continuing to rock Wee....top 10 in the race way to get back into the race after that "WHAT" penalty.....Love the photo of you and Kellye.....

Enjoy your family!!!!

See you soon :)

Pedergraham said...

Bree:
Way to bring it back on the run. Have a quick recovery before St. Croix! Enjoy your family time and thanks for the pictures.
-Danielle

Marni said...

I didn't even know that about what happened to you on the bike! Glad you give a full race report! You really worked your butt off! It was great seeing you and good luck at st.croix!! travel safely.
-marn

ShirleyPerly said...

Stagger Penalty? That's a new one on me ...

But you did terrific to come back so strong on the run and finish top-10. And how fun to have so many family members racing too. Keep up the great attitude!!

Bob Mitera said...

Hi Bree - That stagger rule is very confusing and a lot of times unfairly enforced. As a soon to be certified USAT marshal, don't sweat it - you'll never do it again. You were just racing. Go battle the beast! Enjoy St. Croix!...Bob

Bob Almighty said...

Stagger penalty? I didn't know such a thing existed. Ballsy run though, nice way to get back into the top ten. Good luck in St. Croix, Beware the beast!

triguyjt said...

Great race..sorry about the penalty....
good luck at st. croix.

Enjoy bopping around your blog...

you have a great attitude

Kellye Mills said...

It was so great to finally meet you Bree! I can't wait to see you again in Hawaii in just a few weeks!

Congratulations on an amazing race! No worries on the penalty. You did great despite it, and now you know, so you're going to be amazing in St. Croix! Have fun with the family! They seem great!

Anonymous said...

Bree,
Another big Lifesport W/E coming up! I am sure you'll 'stagger' them at St Croix.
Keep up the great reporting, it is fun to follow your progress.
Dad M

Linsey said...

Yeah Bree! You are my hero! Way to be. Have fun in St. Croix... you will do awesome! xxLinsey

Randy said...

Good job Bree. Karen and I really enjoy your blog. After reading your post and seeing your pictures, we are planning on doing St. Anthony's next year. It'll give me an excuse to visit my sister in St. Petersburg. Congrats on the great job. Awesome effort.

kerri said...

Hi Bree,

Nice job. Way to hang in there. Honestly, I love the pictures of fellow bloggers. Just nice to get a glimpse of everybody we are writing to, eh? Must of been cool to see and race with them. Now off to St. Croix...rock on!!!

Beth said...

Hey Bree!! Congrats again on a great race. I think it takes a lot to gather yourself up mentally after something like that penalty and continue pushing yourself to the end. Way to run yourself back into the top 10. SOOOO impressive!! And when I saw you out there on the run - WOW - you were running SO strong!

It was soooo great to meet you Bree!! Oscar and I were really looking forward to it so I'm glad we got a chance to chat some. Have a blast in St. Croix and show those gals what you got!! We'll be cheering from PA!

Paul said...

Awesome race report. Way to pull it together after getting hit with that penalty!

The new site layout is sweet! WOW. Keep the good stuff coming. Maybe I'll see you at Honu.

-Paul

Speed Racer said...

Stupid scooter man! I would have given him a solid cussing out during my 2 minute penalty and maybe kicked his stupid scooter. At least you have a better temper than I do. Great comeback though! Good thing this bullpoop didn't happen in one of your more important races!

Mira Lelovic said...

Congratulations, Bree! Way to make up time on the run and keeping it together after the bike frustration. Good luck in St. Croix this weekend!

gosonja said...

Way to go Bree!
I saw you coming in from the bike with a huge smile on your face. It's crazy to read about what you just went through! What a great attitude you have.