Friday, June 6, 2008

The Beauty of a Dream...


When you are little and the teacher asks, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" and you respond, "An astronaut, or an Olympian, or a rap star, or a famous actor". The whole class gives you ooooohs & ahhhhhs, coooool, wows, awesome... your peers think you are neat and that you probably really will grow up to be that.

Then life gets hard. You start to fail a few classes or practice gets challenging and cuts into your free time. Soon self doubt sets in and then a little later your peers begin to laugh at you. Then they make you question your "dreams".

Now at a fork in the road... take the path that has some security or take the risk.

In sport I have been fortunate to meet, know, and become friends with incredible people. People that get to the fork in the road and see the beauty of the dream and keep on going. Each rock in the road, the dips, detours, U-turns, they keep focus of the dream and go through them knowing that the obstacle is an "opportunity".

This weekend my friend & teammate, Lisa Mensink, will be racing for that final chance at her Olympic dream. She was one of the kids that told her dream & kept going for it...

In a few weeks I get a chance to keep on chasing my dream. Of course there are the doubters, the haters, the negative people that want you to flop. BUT there are also the ones who help you keep your dreams alive.

Lisa, HAVE A GREAT RACE! We all believe in you... from all your Lifesport team mates!

Well, I owe a BIG HUGE "thank you" to A LOT of people that help me keep my dreams alive... but today... "Thank You" goes to my friend Pat...

Click Here to see the support I am fortunate to have as his friend...
.
.
.

16 comments:

Naughty said...

And when we pursue our dreams we are courageous.

kerrie said...

i just watched the video! what a nice guy!!! seeing the race and the swim start even got me pumped up for CdA!

Jen said...

oh my gosh. that got me all choked up! Especially at the end when it says "Anything is Possible"

What a great friend :) Go get 'em in Japan Bree!!! I am so excited for you! I know all of your hard work and training is going to pay off.

Randy said...

Great video Pat. You're going to rock Japan Bree. Karen and I are both very excited for you.

TB said...

From where I sit you all are already winners. Some of us spend life playing it "safe".

Failure is never having the courage to pursue the dream in the first place.

Go Lisa!

Beth said...

I think it's sometimes overwhelming to think of all the people that we are so lucky to have in our lives willing to help us achieve our dreams, whatever they may be. It would be impossible without them!!

It's been so inspiring "watching" you go after your dreams Bree, because you do it with so much passion and heart. Hope you have a great day!!

Cy said...

What a great video and awesome dedication from Pat to you and you to Lisa... Great Energy all around :-)

Here is a nice Dream quote
"Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be, because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

Make it Great!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

That's it BREE! You dream big and you GO FOR IT! Nothing is impossible, IF YOU BELIEVE! YOU CAN DO IT!!! Saw the video and sniffed away on the couch, tears welling up as I watched. Your passion, heart, dedication, and determination is visible as each second passes. You keep going - there are SO MANY out here who believe in you and cheer you on. YOU and the triathlon you... :)

Damie said...

I enjoyed Pat's video too. It is really, really important to surround yourself with people that truly care and want good things for you. It is really a part of mental training, don't you think? It is part of treating yourself right and taking care of yourself by being around people that are good for you! Japan better watch out- ;)

rr said...

Love the movie Pat made.. so cute. I forgot about your road rash at tinman, youch. You shouldn't have biked so damn fast ha ha ;)

GO Lisa! I hope she has a great race this weekend, love seeing one of Coach's girls kick butt. And Bree, you are surrounded by love and support, there are no nay-sayers, just hundreds of people cheering you on. I do not plan on leaving my computer during IM JP.

RR

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

OK, I was crying like a baby during that video. That was just was too cool...

I agree with RR. There might be a lot of nay-sayers BUT the people who love, support, and believe in you out weigh them 10 to 1. GO ROCK IT BREE!

Jen in Budapest said...

That's really awesome Bree. And I just pray you reach all your goals!! You rock. Keep it up. You're an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Wow Bree! Loved this post. you are back in FULL force! The video made me tear up because I could see the passion behind your actions. You are a true athlete and an AMAZING one at that. All the hard work and dedication are evident and show why you rise above the top. I absolutely LOVE the photo of you and Kainoa at the finish line. It just inspires me--what a MOM! Good luck as you prepare for Japan. We will keep checking in on you and are glad you are feeling so much better. Courtney

Patrick said...

The "land of the rising Sun" awakes to the "Power of your Dream".
The time is now Bree. It's close, reach for it, grab it, don't look back. Harness that power and channel it towards the finish line.

I have a good feeling about this race:)

P-

Melissa said...

Wow Bree. Thanks so much for your blog and sharing with the world. The video is awesome, you've got some great friends.

I stumbled across your blog via some other sites, and it's my favorite...you are so positive and motivated and an amazing athlete/mom/friend. Your writings motivate me to get back out there and train/race the best I can, with a good attitude and some fun mixed in.

Good luck in Japan, you are going to rock! And good luck to Lisa on her Olympic dream!

-Melissa

Cricket said...

Hey Bree- Loved Pat's video! Uncle Paul and I were both cryin! Like I posted to Pat- he definitely is on your "Dream Team"! You're one of the good ones kiddo- You are blessed and also bless others- Japan is in our prayers for you! I already know in my heart it is a success! God knows you deserve it!