Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Eating my words...

Wondering why I ever opened my big mouth...


Not really an "A" type personality, more of a "go with the flow" kinda girl. Not really an "over achiever" either, more of a "if it's fun count me in" kinda girl... I guess those traits seem similar and having a load of fun a lot of the time gets mistaken as over achieving. ANYWAYS... I was no way trying to be over achieving when I opened my mouth to Coach... more like trying to be a smart @$$.

So... I check the swim session. A broken 1800 for the main set. Looks pretty easy. In fact I thought coach made a mistake by sending it to me. That is when I open my big mouth and get myself a bigger helping of chlorinated laps!

My email to him went something along the lines of, "Coach, are you slacking on me? Looks pretty easy, how slow do you think I am? And by the way, Kona pool is yards.... the send offs you gave me my grandma Judy could make... do you think I swim meters or something with all this rest?"

video
Choking on my words...

His response was something like this, "I added on another set, now a broken 2400, and I took off time on the send offs, and they are to be fast and negative split them. let me know how it goes..."

I knew his, "let me know how it goes" meant, "I can hardly wait to see if you can handle this lesson in questioning me".

If it is an ocean swim or a masters swim count me in! No problem... but a swim alone in the pool requires back up and drastic measures would be in order if I was going to be able to tell coach just how good it went...

Trying so hard on the 200's... even kicking and I never kick!

So when the going got tuff and my arms decided to fall off I was choking on my words BUT I was determined NOT to swallow them. I had Pat help me on the third set and Monroe help me on the 4th set. It was the 200's that were doing me in. Round 1 and 2 I was holding on to 2:21's BUT I wanted so so so bad to break a 2:20. So the boys paced me on the first 100, sat out a 50, then on my final 50 jumped back next to me and tried to bring me home. I ended round 3 and 4 at 2:20 and was pooped.

No excuses about tired arms and fried legs pushing off the wall, no kick, and my grandma beating the send offs... that was that. All I had today.

My email to coach post workout was something along the lines of... THAT was AWESOME! What a great 5,000 yards, felt like Australia swim camp! My grandma could do it!

Happy laps everyone!

26 comments:

Ange said...

what a riot, Bree. Sounds like you did great with it though. Those are fast 200s too! And alone! Even harder. I used to swim with a team and now I'm alone 100% of the time in the pool and it's tough tough tough to kick it up a notch. Great workout especially after being off for a few weeks!

Patrick said...

I was already in the pool when Bree arrived at 7am. The first words out of her mouth were.."God I love swimming, lets do this workout!" Love the attitude sister! keep it up!!


Dude....you hammered that workout. I have more video to prove it if coach doesn't believe you!!

Good job Bree! Rock n Roll time!!

Pat....puppet

triguyjt said...

those are smoking 200's bree...
you must have upped the temp in the water by 5 degrees.

piece of cake..right??

TB said...

BW, taunting coach is not a good idea!

Sounds like a jam up workout...

I think you may owe Pat part of your prize money from Japan or at least a smelly cotton t-shirt.

17 days away!!!

Pedergraham said...

Sounds like a great workout. Wish I could have been there to help with the second set!
-Danielle

Eileen Swanson said...

WEE! You know you LOVE swimming. We all know you do ;-) That is why you keep improving so much! If that workout was like Oz, then WOW, congrats on a valiant effort. Remember when coach said we should have done the last 100meter sets on 1.08s and I said "yes coach, yes, of course, we will next time." AND you just about killed me. LOL

XO,
E

Randy said...

For the record, I was there the same time as Bree this morning and the rest of us in the pool were using kick boards to body surf off her wake. She is FAST! We were all bummed when she finally got out.

Good job Bree, but keep your thumbs in. And thanks for videoing my ugly flip turns. My email is rwillowsprings@aol.com.

LeAnn said...

Good job when the going gets tough.

Rory said...

More inspiration. Thanks.

Brooke Myers said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....

You are such a smart mouth that is for sure.... You better watch it with your coach Bree - he knows how tuff you can be and he will definitely put your stregnth to the test (in a good way of course)...

No wonder your head was hurting today (not Jim's bug bomb to blame)....

beth said...

swim fishy swim!!! i love the video- that is what swimming is SUPPOSED to look like....my video would look much more like a wiggle worm creeping along.

congratulations on a tough workout and an amazing attitude..i'm not quite there, usually have to offer myself a "treat" for completing all of masters (its an hour fifteen- that's long!!)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) said...

I can't make Hapuna this year, but I'll keep on training. Your swimming impresses me, but don't overdo it. Remember that I would put a lot of money on Macca in any race big or small (if you forget his first few attempts at Ironman HI), because he is always in contention on the day when it matters. However, a lot of people he races against either fail to start or else are out of it 25 miles up the road. Your coach wants you to be the best when it counts! (Sorry for the pep-talk).

kerri said...

I love it. You crack me up. Way to dish it back! heeehee. Awesome workout. Keep em rollin!!

Blog do Rodrigo said...

Bree, from Brazil, let me say a big thank you for your wonderful blog. By the way I´m trying hardly how to turn to the other side in the pool, and your video helps me a lot, Thanks :-)

Cricket said...

You have a way of making everything sound so fun! I'm envious! You have inspired me to swim today- haven't been swimming much in the pool lately- (it's beach season) but I'm on my way!
Thanks-

Bob Almighty said...

Man I hate 200 sets like that.Way to gut through it though.

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

YIKES!!! I guess that's what you get for the Grandma comment but you love it and you know it!! ROCK ON!

Love the video!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

VVVRRRROOOOOOOM you go!

Great stroke rate - nice kick! Keep up the great work!

j-mo said...

I'll bet it was the burgers that gave you the extra energy!! lol.
Good swimming - 200's on 2:20 is smokin fast! Great to see you're back =)

rr said...

He tried to kill me in the pool today too - but I didn't ask for it!

I'm going to try your burgers tonight.. must figure out what a corn flap is! Off to the health food store.. thanks :)

Iain Banks said...

Good job Bree...with the swimming and the videos! It looks like a great pool as well. All the best for the build up to IM Japan

Jen said...

Bree...this is the first picture that I EVER saw of you NOT smiling. That must of been some A** kicking workout. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger! When you RTS in Japan you will be thanking that crazy man.

Mel said...

OK Bree, don't laugh at me but I watch your video like 10 times trying to learn any swimming secrets...I think I GOT IT...HA!!! Way to show coach you can handle anything he throws at ya....GIVE ME MORE!!!

Sarah said...

HOLY SMOKES!!! Damn girl you are FAST FAST FAST!!!! Holy toledo.

Nice work this morning! Our masters workouts on Fridays are your kind of workout - they're called "Fun Fridays" and we do 1000 swim then 500 social kick where we all just chat and kick together. Then we have a semi-hard set and it's over. That of course, is after a tough week, but it's a nice recovery FUN swim!!

Mira Lelovic said...

Oh my, you are a swimming machine. Wish that video clip was a little longer, and under water footage would be really great too. Tell Patrick to start working on that :-)
I just watched his video on his blog...unbelievable. I am sure you are extremely touched and appreciative. I will be cheering for you all the way to the finish in Japan.

Jen in Budapest said...

Bree - you're awesome. Your speed is what I look like when I'm wearing flippers...he he.

Way to push yourself and to call in back up! You're an inspiration to me.