Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Unleashed...



I finally got off the leash! Imagine a little dog, stuck inside all day, you finally take the dog outside and it sees a ball. You know what happens next, the dog is jumping frantically, being held back by the leash, just waiting for it's turn to run, to be set free, to not be tied to the leash... FREEDOM! The dog's heart is pumping wanting so bad to run fast, as fast as possible to get to the ball... then finally the owner lets go of the leash and that dog is running so effortlessly, so fast, so excitedly, and most likely with it's mouth wide open tongue hanging out...

I was a little dog on my run this morning!

I had a 90min. stepping base run. I LOVE love LOVE this run, it always feels good and always hurts and always teaches me to pace (something I am plain out not too good at). Of course today I wasn't allowed to go to the "hurting point". It would only get to zone 3.

30 at zone 1, 30 at zone 2, 30 at zone 3 (90 minutes).

The first 30 min. I felt like that little dog wanting the ball. I was so fired up... just wanting to get going, get moving, get sweaty! Glued to the HR monitor 133, I was on target... BUT it was the longest 30 min. of my life! When you go from a bunch of time not running to missing a race that you were set up to run speedy at the anxiety in the legs to GO GO GO sure is running through the blood..

The next 30 min., zone 2, not allowed to go over 147 HR, Okay, I can handle this, at least it is a nice pace (6:50-7 min. miles). I am feeling the love of speed once again... but I am feeling a leash too! Me and HR monitors have never ever been friends and today I am so hating mine because I got blood in the legs that wants to boil! 15 min. to go, 10 min, 5 min, hurry it up already, I am so wanting to get the HR up and wanting to feel some RUNNING SPEED...

Finally, zone 3, come on legs let's do this! The HR must not exceed 167, you better believe after getting myself sidelined I will NOT cross this line. SO... I am now running 6:20's, then I get to 6:15's and the HR is a nice zone 3 at 158... I am so wanting to see how much faster I can run without getting in trouble, I do about 9 minutes at 6 min. mile pace and am at 166, just hovering my "no zone". Believe me I want to run a 5 something mile so bad, I am soooooooo tempted to cheat! Instead, I go to a 165 HR knowing I am 2 beats safe & enjoy my 6:10-6:15 pace. Oh man it felt good. It felt like the little dog got it's ball...

If you ever need to WANT to ENJOY running or feel like you aren't in love with sport anymore... take 9-11 days off and you will come back H-U-N-G-R-Y!

Speaking of hunger, this is the most ugly photo, but I tried to take a photo just for Rory of my new bird food burger! GREAT recipe if you are trying to cut back on meat... I am kinda a carnivore and the protein consumption has done a number to me so here is the recipe to my bird food burger I made for dinner a couple nights ago. Jim said it's eatable (he had 2) but he would never choose it over a dead cow...

Bree's Bird Food Burger:

  • 1 cup almonds or walnuts
  • 1/cup corn
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1/4 cup salsa (we used VERY hot hot sauce)
  • a bit of onion
  • half a green pepper
  • sea salt
  • pepper
  • Any super spicy seasoning you like (or taco/fajitas seasonings)
Mix it all together in the food processor. The longer you mix it the less chunky so you mix till you get the constancy you want. IF your burger is runny or soupy just add a slice of bread (I used a slice of Ezekiel bread and it made it more like real cow meat).

On a fry pan heat some coconut or olive oil and lightly heat each side. It gets kind of crunchy. Then put it on your choice of bun (I used a corn flap shell) and top it with veggie or real cheese slices and spinach. I was LOVING every bite of it and I am usually a cow eater. Not to bad if you are trying to eat less cow or are a vegan. If the husband I live with ate one then it really can't be to yuck...

21 comments:

Brooke Myers said...

That burger seems like it would be right up my alley, but with Nick on the other hand "if it's not dead - it's not a meal".. Maybe I can find a way to trick him into eating something like this...hmmm

Yoga tonight at 6:15 @ the club if you wanna join in for yoga round #2this week :)

Jamie said...

Woohoo! congrats on getting a fresh new bounce in your step.

I love all your super healthy recipes, but I haven't been cooking much lately. I've gotta try some of them soon. They look awesome. :-)

Naughty said...

As I feed my son organic prunes I am multi-tasking catch up with this blog!! For Ariel Henbest....triathlon is most definitely spiritual in nature if you open your mind and heart to this....your spirit has touched hers and one days hers too will touch the light in someone else's heart.....for yesterday's smile on the bike........sometimes that is what it is all about........and today.......MATURITY.......set in as you followed the heart rate rules.....you'll be jumpin' outta your skin in Japan......so many are fit at a starting line; like seriously fit......how many are fresh?

j-mo said...

Ya Bree, i love that wk out too. Its tough to hold back that first part i agree.
but,,, ummmmm..... those "burgers" ...... ummmm well they sound gross. I can handle a cow, turkey, buffalo, deer, ostrich, or even fish in my burger once in a while but definitly _not_ walnuts!!

Beth said...

It's so great to hear that you are feeling so much better and snappy and fresh and WATCH OUT IM Japan! Yeah Bree!!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you're better!
Smart call not to race last weekend.

Hope to see you in Vancouver! I'll be sure to give you some vaseline, so you don't repeat the wetsuit struggle - that was painful to watch! haha.

I saw Coach Paul's " I love my athletes" mug...Too funny!

Janet.

Trigirlpink said...

Bree

If we could just name it something else instead of bird food burger I'd maybe try it... the name isn't so enticing.....

tangent....
I have this hair stuff and I think of you sometimes when I use it.
Why? Because I've never had anything coconut oil-like in my house until I had to buy the coconut oil for the muffins. Anyway, you HAVE to get this stuff..all you girls should, especially if you are blond and swim in chlorine and your hair is exposed to the sun and tends to look "beat on"
It's called Coconut Milk and it's a clear liquid . It comes in a small pump bottle in the hair care section
It's made by Organix. It's an anti-breakage serum that you apply to your hair right after showering.
I love it. It's not greasy and it keeps my hair from looking dried out and icky...
TGP's Tip of the day!!! Ha ha!!

Eileen Swanson said...

YIKES! Talkin about my burnt chicken and ketchup and this is your good cookin? HAHAHA! I would rather eat my food! OK, you got me going with your "chicken sucks" comment. Love ya Wee! Good job on sticking to that darn HR monitor.

XO,
E

Mel said...

Bree LOOKING at that cutie photo of you on the bike and this recent photo...I have never seen someone have so much passion and fun in their job as you do...YOU did the right thing by making Triathlons your job!! You are by far the happy-go-lucky tri girl :) If I had a lot of money I would sponsor you too..as you are worth it :) Keep following you dreams Wee!!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

ROCK ON! Awesome running Bree! Sounds like a fun run. Good job sticking to your HRM!

Ok, everyone is dogging on the "burgers" but I'm going to try them! You haven't led us astray yet there Rachael Ray...oops, I mean Bree Wee!

Paul said...

It's nice to see you are healthy and back at it!

Patrick said...

Okay Bree Anne....I'm nobody's Biooootch! I am for hire but don't pay me in cookie crumbs or sweaty power Gel's!

You and Swanson need to learn how to share. I have a TON of other female athletes knocking on my door but I choose Lifesupport for now.

I sure hope you do a load of laundry and brush your teeth before I train with you again!!

I heard they banned you from HOT YOGA classes for obivious reasons! :)

Pdiddy

Patrick said...

Bree, you can make me anything you want for my Bday. Whether or not I eat it is different story. But i'm sure I will like it. You are a good cook and baker!!

Got Fish?

Marni said...

YUMMMM and great job!
yum for the juicy "burger" and great for your training.

TB said...

A rested and tapered Bree...rut row, watch out!!!

I'll give the "burger" a try and report back...

Pedergraham said...

I always thought the best part of a burger was the toppings, so for me whatever is the "meat" is just the vehicle for the good stuff on top! Yours looks like it has yummy toppings! That run does sound like fun.
-Danielle

Rory said...

Thank you! If I do your workouts, then eat like you, does that make me a "wannabree"?

Trigirlpink said...

Bree..

Serum not shampoo, small pump bottle. Let me know if you find it.
e

rr said...

Thanks for the recipe!

I have to do that run sometimes.. and it kills me! You are truly an unleashed puppy. I like your zones better than mine..

And Elaine, I'm going to find that stuff!

Sarah said...

Way to stick to the HR...it's SO HARD, isn't it? ugggh, esp if you've had a couple days off and just want to GO!

Sorry, no tips for Japan! Wish I did, but I know you won't need them. You're going to be FABULOUS!

I like the sound of the bird food burger...can't wait to try it and if I can get Matt to like it (he's in the same category as Jim), then you know it's worthy...

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I am so excited about an alternative to eating cow! I am so like you in that I eat WAY too much protein - I infamously ate a 32oz porterhouse after a half ironman a year ago, it was even better topped off with Coldstone. P.S. - If I add the hot sauce to the bird burgers that you recommend will I be able to run as fast as you someday?