Saturday, July 19, 2008

1400 Calories Later...


Today was a little different... we started with a late run then had a late bike. Usually I am all about hitting my training sessions before the sun pops up- but today we started at 9:30am.

The run. My goodness coach must be on fire with this speedy painful stuff. He is calling it "strength and base camp". Not really too sure if those words fit. I have only seen "speed and pain camp". But he is the boss and has done wonders for me in sport so I just go along with it.

After a nice warm up and some drills we hit the main set of 12x2 with 90 off as fartlek. No stopping, just easy jog for 90 seconds after running as if lions are on your feet for 2 minutes. Instantly the group of 17 divides into 3 groups. Asics Adam way out front, after round 3 never saw him till the finish. Dan, "Lisa the Olympian", and me. Then a giant chase pack with13 other runners and coach Paul. (sorry you couldn't hang with Lisa, Dan, and I coach Paul, maybe next year!).

I tagged coach Dan as my personal coach for the run. He helped me learn to make the second minute of each interval faster than the first minute, got my feet under my bum rather than striking out front, and helped me cool it on the 90 seconds. Thankfully the set went by fast and I only saw my death bed 2 times. Those 2 times would be the last 2 rounds when the Lisa the Olympian totally annihilated me! I used her to push me harder then my legs could go, I imagined that we were in a sprint finish for the line, 2 minutes to go, me vs her... she got me both times! But I would never have run that quick without her there.

Then we had a bike ride. A long base ride 60 minutes post run. It was not base THANKS COACH DAN... he chose a nice hilly course that kept the HR in zone 4 all 101 miles long. I was hoping that a "base" ride would mean I could snap a million photos of all the awesome Victoria views! But that never happened... the pace was painfully quicker than base and my legs fell off...

These are my Victoria base ride photos...

Got this one when Lisa and Caroline were peeing in the bushes...

Climbing up Malahat... Coach Dan let me stop for 9 seconds to take my photo... he was running a boot-bike-camp for Lisa, Caroline, Adam, and me...

Stop #2. 21 seconds long. During the stop Caroline said we should put our helmets in the freezer while we buy more drinks. The cold ice froze the sweat in our helmets and they felt AWESOME to put back on... I hope nobody buys the ice after we sweated it like that!

Caroline stuffing in a bar. Coach Dan said stops do not count as time on the bike and we have to MOVE it... he was on a mission...
This was the most hilarious part of the day... Dan and I drop Caroline off after we finish biking and as soon as she gets out of the car she runs into her home stay STARVING from bike-boot-camp and totally tosses her bike on the ground with her little home stay brothers bike! This was the fastest I have ever seen her run!

This long 7 hours of training could only be topped by big suppers... like steak and lasagna and protein shakes and blueberries and... you get the idea! I am refueled and ready for tomorrow. Now time for bed!

Tomorrow is a long base run and a long open lake swim... I will let you know if it ends up being base... I kinda hope so this time.

PS: if anyone is driving around Sooke Lake and sees 2 legs, those would be mine, I left them on the side of the road trying to keep up with Coach Dan down some hill. I need them for my run tomorrow. Please return.

12 comments:

Samantha said...

did you see me wave on the Malahat from the other side??? haha. I got in just over 75 miles and waited for a while for you guys at the office (almost took a nap on the lawn), but then I gave up and went home to eat and shower. I could tell Dan was on a mission after that first hour of hanging on the back before I dropped off, but it was a beautiful day so I still enjoyed it while truckin' along by myself. Thanks for being such an awesome motivator in all the workouts!!! you guys should pop into Frontrunners tomorrow.

Eileen Swanson said...

WHOA! Yup, Coach Dan is so crazy! In a good way though he killed us on the hilly ride too ;-) Great work on that 101 miler. I am so jealous, so wish I was there. Reid says he wishes we stayed for the ride too. Next time for sure. You guys are awesome machines ;-)

E

Anonymous said...

Keep Pushing through....Awesome training and wonderful experiences that will stay with you for life! Enjoy each moment and God bless your trip home and smile....Proud of you, Love Mom and Rodger (that Salmon looked great and love all the pictures)

Mel said...

Bree, I found your legs..THANKS, I through those bad boys on and ready to go out for a run:) Todd loves my new muscle legs!!! Time to go be speedy!!

rr said...

I missed you and your blog!!

Great race in Vancouver, so sorry about the dumbass cop leading you off course! Way to recover.. that was a killer run time.

Camp sounds crazy.. the lazy part of me is glad I'm too poor to come to these things. Shhhh, let's not tell that to the coach.

Have fun!!

Trigirlpink said...

You crack me up.. helmets in the ice chest. Keep up the great work! PAYDAY is coming!! :-)

Karen said...

It sounds like a hard training camp. But you'll come out of it so much stronger. Keep up the great training. Tell Mel to share the muscled legs she found. I could use some of those too.

Lisa said...

Just imagine how your legs would feel if your 'long' rides are normally 3 hours and you've been in a race block for a few months and haven't ridden over 2 hours in quite some time (except the 2 other rides this week!)....not complaining though, it was a good day, with good company, it'll make that 40k fly by in a race! Plus now I have NO desire to do an Ironman, you guys are tough! Thanks for the draft....ahhh draft legal racing.....

Cricket said...

Keep having fun! I love keeping up with your exciting training... I can't even imagine!
We love you and miss you-
The Richau's

Liam O'Connell said...

that looks fun!

is it beautiful there?

Speed Racer said...

You eat steaks?!

Oh my god, I'm SOOOOO jealous. That sounds like so much fun. Except the steak part.

Cy said...

Bree-

Looks like an amazing camp with super campers. No worries, you'll find those legs soon enough!

I love that photo of the bike (with zipps) laying in the middle of the lawn. Classic!

Keep up the great work- It will be worth it come the end of August :-)