Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Energy Lab...


NELHA... the famous "Energy Lab" of the Ironman Hawaii run course. It has made several athletes crumble and others pick up a second wind and go onto victory. It is HOT, lacks any shade, completely unprotected from the winds, salty-sea spray, has a tiny climb up to the highway that can hurt even the strongest quads, and home of one of Kona's most fun surf spots, a seahorse farm, great tide pools, sea algae farms, the BEST water you have ever tasted, one of the states best schools, and a dozen other attractions.





I LOVE running in the Energy Lab. Prior to becoming a triathlete I only ever knew of the former attractions and the previous listed ones (the heat, sea spray, wind, quad-kill-hill, shadeless) never crossed my mind because I was "clueless" of the horror stories of top pros dying a slow death in there...

So today, my long run, I had 3x Energy Lab repeats. They started as North as you can go in the E-lab and went up to the highway, down to Kona Mountain Coffee shop, then back again. Repeat 3x. Yes it was hot. As used to the heat as I am, 86* is hot! Really hot when you are running on black pavement next to black lava rocks.


Quad-kill-hill...
I always thought that was a pretty silly name for this hill. It isn't that steep or that long, but after 3x of it I understood.

One of my 2 aid stations

And finally... my reward! The best water ever put in a bottle! After 2.5 hours of near-heat-stroke PURE Kona deep sea water from 3,000 ft below the surface, bottled right there in the E-Lab, never tasted SO good! Loaded with electrolytes too!

And... to make the legs chill out... ice! Loading this ice into my truck was hilarious! The men at the Ice House would not even help me carry all 50 pounds of it! They stood there and laughed at me. laughed at me trying to carry it, laughed when the bag ripped open and spilled all over, laughed till they cried! Finally one of them decided to help load it!

Yes, I use all 50 pounds in my ice bath! An ice bath has to be at least 56-58* in order to work and one bag doesn't cut it when it is hot in Hawaii! My legs were on fire and it took 50 pounds of ice to chill them out!

Cheers!!! and a BIG thanks to Randy for riding with me this morning... next time I hope you can run with me too!

25 comments:

Jamie said...

Sea horse farm! Do they offer rides?!

Dolphin Boy said...

This is one of my fav runs too. Started running it during my IM training back in 03! Nice and hot.

Hope you are well.

Bob Almighty said...

Energy lab repeats? Man is it too early to place my bet on you for October? If you can handle the energy lab in training, Canada will be a cake walk.

ShirleyPerly said...

And I thought I used a lot of ice (I've been known to empty hotel ice machines :-) Great job out there in the heat!

MaryMaryMyers said...

Breely, I just started riding and I ride to town....downhill then I have to ride home.....uphill, in 95+ heat lately. I'm surprised I can even feel my legs when I get home-they are like jelly! What a wimp I am.... I hope to get better as I gain strength in my old legs.... and btw: for that extra boost of energy I ring my bicycle bell about 1/2 way home-it works! lol!
P&L
Mary

Ange said...

I can't even imagine that heat!! You are an animal!! That ice bath must have been heaven!!
great job Bree!

Mel said...

I would be in snack heaven...with that ice bath...you know I put ICE down as one of my snacks for the tag game...add a little sweat...yummy..OK I am weird:) Way to go on those HOT as Heck roads...will it be hot in Canada when you race...because when Todd did it and I was there cheering....it hailed ice!!! Or are you just that BAD a$$ that likes to suffer :)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It would have been nice to train with you in the Energy Lab, a lot more fun than when I occasionally ran it alone. The thought of it makes me want to start running again.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hee hee hee - sounds like a chilly ice bath! Yep, that must have felt GREAT on the legs afterwards. Nice job on the workout - very inspiring!

As for the NUUN, ah - yeah, don't try that. Make sure that you dissolve in water BEFORE ingesting. You have inspired me to write my adventure with that. So stay tuned... .:)

Thanks for the support!

Jen said...

Energy Lab repeats...sounds like fun...NOT! Just kidding. Great work out there Bree. It is all going to pay off in Canada - eh!

Marco aka Bodhi said...

Hello Bree,
what you do unbelievably simple that way.
at the energy looks I would like to run, too.
I probably won't run but the ironman say the Hawaii marathon passes by there, too?

I must this remember the ice with.
Cool idea.

Kind greetings
Marco from Germany

Iain Banks said...

Great pictures Bree. I love the ice stashed in the car....I'm surprised it made it home without melting! Hope you rock at IM Canada.

Triathlon Couple said...

Wow...i'm thinking I would take that run over that ice bath..man I hate them...:-))

Flatman said...

I hate ice baths as well...brrrr....

Nice job on the repeats!

Liam O'Connell said...

tx is not that pretty :(

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Brrr....miserable but oh so worth it! Those ice baths are a love/hate relationship, right?

Another great workout done and accomplished! One step closer to Canada!!

Damie said...

sounds like such an awesome run- heat is really deceiving on asphalt! I bet it is super hot there no matter how tough you are. sounds like your workouts are going great!

Cy said...

Reading this gets me so excited to come visit the Island in October.

I sure hope I can LOVE the Energy lab as much as you do!!

Jenny Garrison said...

You are going to not only win Canada but win by alot!!!! You are so focused. No one will be able to beat you!!! Keep up the great work. Wish I could be a training partner in Kona. Looks way more fun than Chicago!

Danielle said...

I recently upgraded to 30 pounds of ice....I will have to try the 50 pounder with my runs all being in the 85-95 degree mark in hotlanta!

Mer! said...

Um....I got a little ambitious today after reading your post. I went out and bought 47 pounds of ice.

I'd never done an ice bath. But, this is the first time i've raced 2 Half Ironmans in 3 weeks, so my legs are a bit "shot," so after my long run today, I decided to try and be cool like my friend Bree Wee...

OMG.....It took me 3 attempts before I sat there with a towel around my shoulders hoping 10 minutes would go by very quickly.

Maybe it'll make me as fast as you! I can hope right?

Ryan Denner said...

I love ice baths! I have found that 30 lbs is just not enough - now I know what is enough.

I am not sure how you do one, but I fill up the tub with cold water first, get in, and then put the ice in. Just jumping into a tub of ice is a little too much shock to the system!!!

Anonymous said...

You make the most out of living in Hawaii! How FUN! I would love to try that Kona Deep water. Sounds good!! How cute is the little guy helping his mamma with her ice bath! Keep up the good work. Courtney

triguyjt said...

and I use this dinky little bag of ice...
bree..you are amazing...

even your ice baths rock!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures, we sure miss being there! What a run and what a great helper Kainoa is helping you with your ice-baths..great job...Love mom and rodger