Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Guess who my roomie is!?

YEP! I am rooming with an Olympian...

Everyone already knows Lifesport team mate Lisa Mensink made the 2008 Olympic team! AND I know why, she can swim! I tried to draft her in an open water swim today (lasted till coach told me to swim my base pace, slow down my turn over), no I did not keep up!

[id_2497_2008HamburgBGTriathlonWorldCupEliteWomen20080706_13511.jpg]

Camp was super fun and very much a base day (thankfully!! As everything in me still feels like I have an elephant sitting on my quads).

We started off with a run around Elk Lake. About 15 of us... totally one of the best groups of athletes I have ever ran with. Everyone from Coach, to Terry Orlick, to super model Jenny Fletcher, to IM France stud Katya M, to our Olympian Lisa, to up and comers, and a few other amazing girls and their men too... it was a good social run... very social... kept the pace chill...

Then off to a 2:30hr bike through some BEAUTIFUL farm land! This was a complete gong show to say the least. Katya and me coming off an IM and then into a full on speedy 1/2 IM were about toast, the others who raced were a little pooped too, but Lisa (the Olympian, I like saying that) lead us and just about killed any drop of un-hurt muscles left in me! Of course I wanted to spank the hills (I love hills) but man I paid for it!

Pretty much we were a rolling comedy show of 8 clowns on bikes through Victoria! Caroline Smith (one of the most hilarious team mates a girl could ever have) wore her aero helmet (she left the training helmet at home) and I could not stop laughing (there is a BIG joke with me and those helmets) and her and I were on twin bikes, Eileen and her hubby wore matching outfits, NERDS!!!, then Andy was riding a 33 pound bike called "Iron Horse", that kept Katya and me dying of laughter till she about lost a banana and Eileen freaked! Lisa was racing (not really but she is an Olympian so she looked fast). Sam was just so happy to be riding with the pros and being semi-local girl knew the way but some how got us lost or on a long-cut, then she tries to motor pace a scooter scooting to work... it was just gut busting laughter the entire ride. Not to mention I forgot my helmet so John gave me a mushroom to wear & I was labled "super Mario brother". Oh, and Reid still had his race number on his bike, Katya had a race number on her helmet from like 9 races ago-flapping in the wind no less, and Eileen stood on everything that was even slightly an incline (including a speed bump)...

Then a swim in the lake. Wet suits optional. So we all went naked. Not really, but man it was warm in that lake so half the crew stripped outta the suits. Hawaii chick kept it on baby! Nothing like a nice long easy swim...

Now finished with a great meal from my home stay mom (Donna- super kind lady!!) and about to call my boys back in Hawaii to say "Good Night!". Tomorrow starts the "hard" stuff...

Bring it! With this crew I am more than excited!







16 comments:

Samantha said...

that kid on the scooter was grumpy.

The Young Family said...

Wow!! Great company you are with...

Have fun.

Em

Marni said...

sounds awesome!! It is really beautiful there...you are lucky you are in great company for all these workouts so you can have even more great experiences!

jahowie said...

It sounds like you are surrounded by a lot of great talent!! I can't wait to hear about the "hard" stuff. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a Great Experience! All those wonderful qualities rubbing off on you! Learning and growing, Keep us all posted, Love you sooooo much, Mom and Rodger (God bless you)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Now you know how we feel when we average people get to train with people like you. Still, iron sharpens iron, and no doubt you will gain a lot more from being around these Olympians than just training on your own. All the best. Bruce.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Sounds like things are going great! Have a blast - with an Olypian no doubt! (See - I like saying it too!!! :)

Liam O'Connell said...

it was hot in canada?

Lisa G said...

Sounds like a blast! Keep up the good work and the fun training!

Sarah said...

I LOVE IT! I know how it feels to be around so much inspiration - and if they're fun to be with, it's even better. Have a great time and work hard!!

Wil said...

Wow how much fun is this! Your blog looks awesome by the way, very cool revamp!

Trigirlpink said...

Sounds like a side show over there!
Glad you are having fun. Thanks for your nice message. Yup, lets just say, it was time!

Speed Racer said...

"Not to mention I forgot my helmet so John gave me a mushroom to wear & I was labled "super Mario brother"." Laugh out loud funny!

Sounds like so much fun! Your lifestyle continues to make me jealous every day.

Eileen Swanson said...

OMG - you are such the nerd with that ORANGE mushroom helmet ;-) HAHAHAHA! WE missed you while you were in detention. That ride hurt. Lisa pushed the hills so hard! I am so tired....but see you in a few at the lake ;-)

TriGirl Kate O said...

Nothing like being in the company of others that really push you to be your best! Enjoy.

Cricket said...

Okay- My mountain bike says "Iron Horse" on it- no lie- Probably appropriate for me, huh?
Have more fun-
Cricket