Monday, July 28, 2008

Race day Magic...


A few years ago a really good friend of mine told me something that totally "clicked". It was the week before my second ever triathlon and I was a little freaked because the previous 6wks all I had done was aqua jog- no running. I was so new to sport that I just did whatever anyone else was doing. On a Monday if a friend was running 10 miles I would go. On a Tuesday a group in town did hills, you get the idea, I just did whatever was happening in town. No plan of my own. That lead to a left-legged-disaster! My left leg had achilles tendonitis, ITB syndrome, and a pulled calf muscle, not to mention I could barely walk with out the cho-pat around my knee. I became an "aqua jogger".

After one of my aqua jogging sessions I was talking to a good friend and he said, "Bree, don't worry about the race. It will all come together, there is a little something that happens on race days, called "Race day magic". You will be fine". A week later I dismount the bike at T2 and set off for the 10k run hoping the aqua jogging worked and this "race day magic" is for real...

Ahh, "race day magic"... I ran that run with no pain, it disappeared and I was strong to the finish. Race day magic became my new plan prior to any race that I didn't feel 100%.

Fast forward to yesterday...

Coach gave me the most challenging run session of my life. I struggle and battle and go nuts over anything with my HR/pacing. He knew my IM Japan marathon (which I ran in zone 1/2) was from my lack of trusting my HR and training my HR. He was on a mission to give me these crazy new runs that would force me to hurt (not hurt because the effort, hurt because I really dislike HR training) and run in zones...

Yesterdays run is best described as a HR ladder that had a few steps really close together and a section where I think a step was missing. Just imagine climbing a ladder where the steps are not all evenly spaced... it was a HR/zone challenge for me... it was not my usual Sunday long (one easy zone) run.

So on this run, at a point when I felt like falling over, "race day magic" came into mind. I thought about how I could just back off a little and feel so much better. That when race day comes my race day magic will make up for my errors in the workout...

Then it hit me, how much better could I actually race if I make this workout count? Really count? I dug so deep, the kind of digging that only happens when I am chasing Lisa. Basically I told "race day magic" to go where the sun don't shine... I decided it was a great encouragement a few years ago, but now I need to make everything count. Hit every detail and not depend on some good vibes from a race day to carry me through. The pain of making things count...

This morning I am fully enjoying a "legs day off"... Cheers to making it count!

23 comments:

Audrey said...

Bree
I met you at the Lavaman camp in April. I was the homesick mom of 3 boys that was sitting alone eating lunch and watching the dolphins. Again, I just wanted to tell you, I read your blog everyday, and again, you always give me so much mentally for my triathlon training. Even more than what Coach Paul could give me! Thank you! I am also doing IMC in August. This time I will be bringing my boys with me! They love coming across the finish line with me. Do you get to bring your family? I just wanted to let you know that I have done IMC 2 times now and knowing the kind of athlete you are, you will absolutely ROCK the course. My family will be cheering for you too!
Audrey

Flatman said...

Bree,

You are going to obliterate the Canada course. I can just feel it. You are so focused...I am amazed at your determination and grit. Keep up the hard work, because you are going to:

KILL IT!!!!

:)

Jamie said...

I can't wait to track you online in Canada Bree! It is going to be so much fun.

I say you make a short list of your best (not necessarily hardest) recent workouts and use the memory of those to destroy the IMC course. Those memories can be your new "race day magic."

Beth said...

Great job in making that workout really count Bree!! Much easier said than done. And because you've made each workout count, your race day magic will be even more magical. No doubt!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Way to pull through that tough run, looks like you are in a great position to win/earn a Kona slot at IM Canada - you deserve it!

Eileen Swanson said...

Awesome!! Way to "hit the details ;-)" You are so on fire, keep it going, all the way to the finish line....Love ya Wee! I thought about you on my LONG ride yesterday when the wind was blowing me backwards. It was nuts, but then I thought about how you said the winds are so strong on the Queen K that you struggled to go 6mph once. That was how windy it felt yesterday ;-)

Luv,
E

The Young Family said...

Funny - you should write about this, our tri coach just told us the same thing...

thank you for the reminder - I need to hear things, two, three and four times before I "get" it!

Em

Kim said...

Love it, Love it, Love it. Race day magic is one of the reasons we all keep coming back. We taste a little, and we want more. You cross your fingers every time and hope you get another, somtimes you do and even if you have to wait an entire year to get enough taste, you do, because we're triathletes! Keep up the good work Bree!

Trigirlpink said...

hummmmmmmm. legs off day sounds like a guuuuuud day for Bree muffins, ya think?

Afraid..you are making them all very very afraid come race day in Canada!

zoom zoom...

IronMatron said...

So, it is in the detail--about how disciplined you are about following things to the letter. That is a tough one to swallow! But I think you may be right!
The race day magic will be there at Canada, I'm sure, but i think you are very smart not to leave that to chance. You are focused! It's inspiring!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Thanks for your words of wisdom. I try to make my workouts count, as I don't have race days to feel that magic. But I feel so tired and so slow, even though I focus on the process and not just the times. Don't know if I'll ever get any better.
Bree, you will absolutely demolish the women's field at IMC. Don't worry about them, just run you own race!

Rural Girl said...

that was completely motivating. thanks.

Kellye Mills said...

That is exactly how it is supposed to be... you don't depend on it, so you prepare without it and then when it comes...you're even THAT much better!! Keep making them count because it will all pay off soon!!

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to "Every Man" by Casting Crowns today...

Check it out...praying for my friend...

Hope your day is blessed!

Travis

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Oh how I will think of this post this weekend as I am making the push for IM!! Great post Bree.

Keep up the great training!!!

Sarah said...

Bree,

Love your thoughts and the wisdom you share from all these great lessons you've learned.

I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU GO KICK SOME BUTT AT IMC!!!

Keep it strong, woman. You are incredible. :)

Ange said...

You always give the best advice Bree. I love it and I USE It out there! you're right I believe...dig deeper and make it all count...don't just go through the motions. that can be so easy to do. Thanks for this reminder. It's so key.
You're gonna ROCK!!

Bob Almighty said...

Big believer in race day magic. ( That was how I got to New Zealand, and a little help from the Angry Runner's aggressive driving.) Now that you also have a "pro" Ironman under your belt British Columbia will never know what hit it. Good Luck and Godspeed.

Carolyn said...

Way to go Bree - cheers to that and keep up the good work !!

Samantha said...

Luckily there weren't too many scary weeds out past the second island in Thetis. haha. Shelly lost her tempo trainer after the race so we're all gonna search for it at friday morning's swim. haha. Oh, and I did the tuesday night TT tonight and they made me go first and I almost didn't get passed by the guy behind me!!! He caught me with literally 20 seconds left on the last stretch. grrr...haha. I'll tell everyone you said hi. send some warm weather up this way. It was cold today.

Anonymous said...

Go after it Bree! Great Post and Love your words of Wisdom! Proud of you, Love Mom and Rodger

Speed Racer said...

Oh darn! And here I was hoping you'd say that all that training didn't matter, that I could just count on "race day magic" to make me the fastest thing on 2 legs. Crap.

beth said...

hey bree!!!
this post cracks me up because first, i AM that girl who does whatever anyone else is doing....especially if it is way beyond me...

which is how i ended up doing a HR ladder run (with katya :) ) today...wish i had read this post earlier, because i should have called on some "race day magic"...let's just say i didn't make it through the zone 4 section by her side...but i could still see her in the distance, so that was good!

after the run, we soaked in the ocean (becuase i had already seen your ice bath post and you inspired me to do something recovery-wise
-just missed this post somehow and james told me to read it after i told him what our run was)...glad i did...next time its race day magic all the way!