Saturday, July 5, 2008

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Thank you to Vern & the amazing crew at Bike Works for getting me some new Bike shoes & a new helmet! Yes, the new is the SAME brand and color as the old... but I LOVE em' and they work!


These were my old shoes, almost 2 years old (not that long for bike shoes in my opinion) but I put them through some not-so-good moments that caused the velcro to not work & that was not-so-good for racing and having it flap in the wind! I really loved these shoes, I put my Asics running shoe insert in them to make them feel fast. With Ironman Canada on the horizon I figured now is the time to get new ones and break them in... sorta sad... but a little excited to have no more flapping!

This is my old helmet. Not sure if you can see the tape (it is clear). I crashed this helmet in July last year and the entire inside part that holds it on so it doesn't slide off your face is broke out. I called to have it replaced and they said SURE! Send in the old one and we can send you a new one. Too bad I didn't have a back up to use, so I never sent it in.

Ironman Hawaii & Ironman Japan inspected and PASSED it! I was crossing my fingers both races that they would not tell me my helmet is held together with tape and that I can't use it. Phewwwww.... I have a feeling Ironman Canada might be more savvy and actually check the helmets so I finally replaced it. (coach always tells me to stop being so cheap. He say's be a "pro". The money you invest in you and your sport will come back to you in good results and pay days...) Thanks coach, can I borrow some money? ha ha ha!

Trust me I already asked every helmet company in the world to support me one. I got some REALLY great responses...

1. Sorry, you live in a place that doesn't have much exposure.
2. You need results.
3. Can you send in a photo? So I sent in a photo. (I guess the old saying looks and sex sells is true). I never heard back. Coach said it helps to wear your hair down for that...


I am the PROUD owner of a new helmet and new bike shoes that work, fit, and aren't broken! Here is Kainoa helping me test the helmet for crash testing! No Eileen, it is NOT a sperm helmet, still not cool enough to wear that thing and do not plan on it in the future... maybe one day I will get the guts and be your twin with one...

21 comments:

TB said...

Bout time!!! I'm so with coach!!!

Looks good and I bet feels great...

I bet those old shoes smelled like rotten onions too!!!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

In Kona, all my helmets were acquired free either as hand-me-downs or from the campus boutique. I never crashed any of them, except perhaps when walking through a door and not ducking first. Costco (in Taiwan) sells nice new ones for less than 20 bucks. I think I'll try that next time. I'll see if I can get a good one for you from a factory in Taiwan. I'll tell them its the best investment they can make since Giant signed up Michellie.

Danielle said...

Aero helmets are awesome! My biomechanics book has pictures of all the old Tour De France racers wearing them. Once we learned about them, I had to get one to race in myself. I look like a total goof, but it makes me FEEL faster!

Ange said...

Ahhh, sperm helmet! I just got one..I do feel strange in it but I have to take all the "free speed" I can get! Love your new gear..I have the same shoes!

Eileen Swanson said...

SWEET WEE! Love that you got some goodies! You totally deserve to get them! So happy that Bike Works is awesome to you. Now, about the sperm helmet...come on now, please be my twin ;-) Love ya tons and can't to see you SO, SO SOON roomie.
P.S. remember when.....hmmm, gotta think about one, get it? HAHA!

E

Paul said...

Congrats on the new goods! I can't wait to see how IMC goes for ya.

rr said...

I am cracking up at Coach, can I borrow some money? Ha!

We are too alike.. I crushed my helmet in Dick Evans and talked the guy whose wheel I hit into buying me a new one.

And oh yea, no exposure in KONA??? What the heck? I'm sure the ones you sent the photo too were just intimidated by your gorgeousness and figured such a hottie couldn't be a serious athlete..

Mel said...

NICE shoes..I have the same ones and love them too..mine still look new..do you think that is because my slacker butt is not biking enough :) YEAH I am with the coach about the hair down..can you please post a photo of you with your hair DOWN???
The Companies that did not want to sponsor you..OH well their LOSS!! Glad you got some new goodies :)

Samantha said...

The weekend of the New Balance Half Paul said I could come to the VIP reception thingy and then asked if I owned any "girl" clothes because I needed to look put together. haha. I even wore a dress just to prove myself. I understand about the never wearing the hair down thing. I find no point/rarely any chances when I'm just about to head out for another workout in a bit.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Bree, I guess you are fast asleep now, but I just heard that Chrissy Wellington lost all her water bottles late in the bike (at Frankfurt IM) and she said at transition that she had not eaten because of this. She is over 8 minutes ahead of the second woman. So how do you think she will or should handle this? Can she still win?

Kellye Mills said...

The mother in me cringed when you said you'd crashed that helmet and continued to wear it! I'm REALLY glad you got a new one!!

heather said...

b.wee, did i ever thank you for the running schedule? If i didnt well.....THANK YOU!!!!!! Your the best. Love being able to stay updated about your ventures. Please keep on blogging its so much fun to read about your life. Miss you and the family. XOXOX

Tat said...

I have been following your success! You are an inspiration to me. I am just starting out, but reading your blog really sheds light on this difficult, but awesome sport. Keep it up, girl!
Tatyana from Atlanta.

Damie said...

Don't you just love new shoes ;) I am really laughing at you with the tape on your helmet, but I truly understand the thriftiness factor- it is hard for me to get buy something new when I already have something I can "make" work. I have a feeling you will be turning down sponsors in the time to come because you have too much interest. :)

Danielle said...

Did you see the little write-up about Honu triathlon in Triathlete mag?!? Awesome!

Dana C said...

Too funny, I can understand the taped helmet. I had gotten this really cool helmet that was purple (!) with a pattern on it-and the first time I wore it, I crashed it and broke my pelvic bone. It had the strap marks ETCHED into the inside from the force of the accident. I went to tape it up, and my husband went ballistic on me! Something along the lines of "shame on you, you are a loss control (OSHA compliance) consultant, and you are going to TAPE A HELMET?!! :-) Well, I couldn't wear it for over 5 months anyway, although maybe I should have worn it in my wheelchair and when I was hotdogging on crutches for 3 months!

Good for you on the helmet and shoes! I am jealous, my shoes look like crap.

I especially LOOOOVE that you are thrifty and are still the pro you are; I know a MN triathlete that is only a triathlete because her much older hubby buys her the best money can buy! It's truly disgusting; she has never truly had to work for anything!

Flatman said...

I love bike stuff! I can't believe you were riding with a crashed helmet!!! That is NOT safe. I would have let you borrow mine for Japan!!! ;)

Kim said...

I have these shoes also! I love them.. expensive.. but good! I too will be waiting until they fall apart before getting more! Glad you got that worked out.

Shan said...

I love those SIDIs - so so comfy!!

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Ok seriously, how stupid are those helmet companies for saying no to Bree Wee. Do they live under a rock?!

Thank heavens for new gear, especially the helmet!!

ShirleyPerly said...

YAY for the new helmet and shoes!!

I'm shocked that companies thought you wouldn't be able to give them enough exposure. I'm sure you'll show them they're wrong.