Friday, July 25, 2008

Tonight in Hawaii...








The beach at night...after the noise of the day settles down... and the sun is about set...there is just something about it that fascinates me.

Deep oceans help me feel humble, the dark quiets me, and the whispers of the waves remind me of some of the best memories I've ever lived. Memories of watching stars in hammocks back in Costa Rica, running on the beach in the dark, skinny dipping, sleep overs on "Jolene" (a sail boat we once had when I was a little girl).

I love it. I love to swim out deep in the ocean at night, a little scared of what is beneath me-it helps me feel alive. Watching the moonlight sparkle on the water and the cold sand in my toes. Tonight we took Kainoa. No words of sharks or deep sea monsters, we just let him go... he went as deep as he could touch in the pitch black with only the moon to light his view. He made sand castles in the cold sand, and stubbed his toes on rocks out of view.

Before too long he will be swinging in hammocks appreciating the stars at night, skinny dipping, and night surfing. This is one gift I hope to leave him, a love for the beach at night...

18 comments:

Mel said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! K is so lucky to live in such amazing place where he can go out and be FREE:)

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Does the training partner job description include swimming to the Pea buoy and back with you at night?

Steve Stenzel said...

Beautiful post!

Cricket said...

Love it! Enjoy all the moments- they go soooo fast!
Cricket

Tat said...

What an awesome and beautiful post!
Tat

Anonymous said...

Bree, The Beach is so amazing, it's part of us growing up in Florida! The peace, The sound that only is touched by God! The smell.. Always spend time with your family there....miss you all very much and enjoy the moments!
Love Mom and Rodger

Speed Racer said...

It doesn't go with the picturesque picture you painted (beautiful writing, by the way!), but all I could think about was that THE SEA MONSTER COMES OUT AT NIGHT and feasts on TENDER BABY FLESH!!! Glad you two were safe and that you got to enjoy a wonderful sea-monster-free evening. I gotta stop coming by this blog. Every post you make me sick with jealousy in one way or another. Keep it up!

Sarah McMillan said...

Yikes, You do know sharks feed at night Bree!

MaryMaryMyers said...

Ooooh, how I remember the beach at night; Siesta Key....you (naturally) running to the water and all you girls jumping off the lifeguard stand....And does anyone know that Bree Myers is an award winning sand sculptor in addition to her other talents?!

Randy said...

Now we know what happened to your last training partner, you took him swimming at night, didn't you? lol ...

Actually, there's no sharks or sea monsters in Kona. That's just what we tell mainlanders so we have the ocean all to ourselves.

Great post Bree. What a blessing to pass on to Kainoa.

Kellye Mills said...

I wish I lived there and could go swim every night! I love that you guys really enjoy where you live and take advantage of all the amazing opportunities!!

Eileen Swanson said...

Beautiful pics....Kainoa has the cutest rolls ;-) HA! I love him.....can't wait to see him again soon ;-)

E

beth said...

your little man is really growing up! great pictures!

jahowie said...

Very nice post. I can only imagine how beatiful it must be there.

rr said...

He is getting SO BIG! Where does the time go?

Love the photos - and evenings at the beach. Haven't taken the kids in a long time, thanks for reminding me..

Ange said...

So beautiful. I have a deep love for the beach too...being from the Maine coast. It's a different kind of beach but the sounds and smells are the best things in the world. Kanoia is so lucky.

Flatman said...

Awesome pics as usual, BREE!!!

Marco aka Bodhi said...

What a sweet little Boy.
How old is your son?
Our Luke gets years old in November 3.
I think the two would get on very well.
Luke speaks even a little English.

says hello kind
Marco from Germany