Thursday, August 14, 2008

BIG Thanks...


Life on the BIG Island is like life in a SMALL town. Everyone seems to know just about everyone, everyone knows everyone's business, and everyone seems to care. It's just the way it is here. There's a bbq and you get invited (in fact I got one for Saturday and I haven't even talked to the invitee in like 21 years!) There are baby parties, birthday parties, wedding parties, and who knows what parties all day everyday and if you "just happen" to drive by and see the action you can stop in, nobody minds. I even think garage sales in Kona are just an excuse to gather friends in the front lawn. And Kona Aquatics Masters swim team got the award for "most social" swim club in the USA... I have no doubt we deserve the title...

But it goes on...

After IM Japan I had a bunch of pulls & tugs in every direction. It felt great to come home to the community of Kona, no pressure-I could be me, just support... Then IM Canada was put on the radar...

And support to try again was nothing shy of HUGE! Thanks to Auntie Linda, who totally & secretly gathered some notes and words and stories from pretty much the entire Kona Kingdom & a few of my most favorite blogheads (how I am not sure). But she did.

Yesterday I was in for my usual Bike Works visit and I got the GREATEST little book of notes I have ever received. I cried at some of the notes, laughed at others, and just felt this huge BIG smile across my face from everyone...

So without further-a-do (is that how you say it?), THANK YOU for the notes, I will be thinking of you guys on August 24th. You made my day!

Thanks to, in no particular order,

Jim & Kainoa, Linda Bless, Tim Cotter, Eric Nielson, Dad & mom, Doug Akagi, Bron, Cory, Ashton, Regaen, Ridge Wiedner, Lisa Vos, "Australia" Dan Evans, Louis Delatorre, Maile, Travis, Kailey, Dave Feduik, Rani "Road Runner" Tanimoto, Patrick Mclain, Jim Jennings (IM race director), Daniel Hodel, Brooke Myers, Nick Nelson, Jim & Lisa Young, Christine Winn, Linda Greentree, Laurie Beers, Mary Myers, Ariel Henbest, Cody Bergfalk- you had me cracking up!, Lisa Nelson, Travis B., Jackson, Dawn Henry, Mary Myers, Sam Brown-still laughing!!!, Dave O, Tim Robinson, Jamie Bull, Dusty Best, TJ Foster, Steve Stenzel-Funny stuff!!, Mike S, Shirley Pratt, Wendy Dewees, Betsy & Tom Solis, Randy W, Bill and Loraine V, Walter and Masami, Grant and Janet Miller, Vern "Hey Bern", Kym & Kris Kiser, Chrissie Wellington-thanks and I hope you SMASH all the gals at Timberman, Jason N-yes you are the BEST bike Mechanic, Karen & Rebecca W, Diane Lewis, Jeff Howard, Eileen Swanson, The Gaetners, Maggie Stovickova, Chris McCormack- I will let you draft me in Kona when you get here, Tammy Kelly, Darren & Beth Broome, Bob Smith, Brown Bear & Family,Pammer Kidani, Jen Nottage (I know you write me everyday :), James & Lindsay Cotter, Keith B, Kate Monster- that is the best quote I ever read by the way!, Flatman-LOVE the promise, Tina Walter, Paul Todd, Benson, Claire the Speed Racer, Mel Crandle- you made me cry! How did you get so nice?!, The Comacho's, Steve, & Rachel Ross

Each of you made my day... seriously, that was awesome and I thank you, and I have NO idea how any of the big mouth bunch on the Big Island kept that little book a secret!

I laughed for about 20 minutes after this note! My buddy Sam Brown saved the news paper results from a race we did together (about 5 days after I had my son!). It was the time he beat me, he promised to never let me forget it... and he glued this reminder in the little book!


From my friend Randy, I was totally surprised to hear this story. It meant a lot to me that he remembers that long ago...


Yes, I am a groupie... I still get star struck by the other pro women... and SHE is a total stud!


My BEST Kona training partner, we have been through the best and worst training days. Certainly I will pretend he is riding by me in Canada... and Cody, thanks for beating me up 10x this morning on the Queen K intervals! And for you Cody I might just go on the bike...

.

26 comments:

rr said...

That is so great! LOVE the excerpts from it.. you are SO loved, Bree, we will all be rooting for you.

Anonymous said...

Go After your dreams! Proud of you, Love you soooooo much, Mom and Rodger (We are all rooting for you toooo!)

Anonymous said...

You have earned every note by how you treat all of us!

You're awesome (for an onion)!

--Travis

Beth said...

Sometimes all the love and support we get, whether we are pros and trying to win a race or if we are age groupers just hoping to finish...is just so overwhelming. Makes you really want to make your race the best you possibly can to make it all worth it!

Jamie said...

I've been waiting for this post. I'm so glad you liked your book! Linda is very sneaky.

Go Bree! We are all behind you, even the ones not on the big island...

Mel said...

Bree, please make sure you give Linda a BIG hug for me, as I know I was a pain in her ass:) Ha, she worked hard!!!!..I am glad I made you cry, because you made ME cry on the very FIRST blog I read of yours....YOU ARE THE REAL DEAL GIRL...be ready to race your heart out, as you know everyone is rooting for you:)

The Nottage Family said...

And this community could not see you, your husband, your son and your heart and soul any, any, any other way.....brave and beautiful.....we love Team Wee.......from Team Nottage

Katie Weaver-Jongerius said...

Look at everyone that supports you and loves you....ENJOY YOUR DAY! No matter what happens on race day, I think you've already won.

D said...

I got my goods from you! Thank you sooooo much (I thanked you on my blog, but you don't read it... do you? lol).
I missed putting something in your book (apparently it's sitting in my drafts in my e-mail rather than actually having been sent), but I've got it and another little something for you over here! And I definitely owe you a lunch or dinner!!!
You're the greatest pro ever (but you're right, Chrissie Wellington is a total stud hehe)

kerrie said...

how cool is that! i know that you will get so much strength and inspiration from that.

you are going to rock in canada and i can hardly wait to follow you on race day - i think it will be a great course for you ;)

Randy said...

Glad you finally got the book. Now I can quit avoiding you so I wouldn't spill the beans (a member of the big mouth bunch)... Look out Canada, here comes Bree.

Marni said...

that is so nice! The book didn't make it to Jacksonville, FL so I am adding in a big page which reads "Good luck! Stay positive and strong minded. The body will carry you far. Remember, an IM winner isn't the person who is the fastest, but rather who slows down the least!" MARN

Marni said...

that is so nice! The book didn't make it to Jacksonville, FL so I am adding in a big page which reads "Good luck! Stay positive and strong minded. The body will carry you far. Remember, an IM winner isn't the person who is the fastest, but rather who slows down the least!" MARN

Amy Kloner said...

I love this kind of stuff. So awesome. So thoughtful. This is the kind of stuff you will remember when it starts to hurt. Draw on all the support and love you have... it never fails!

Jennifer Harrison said...

I agree, this is SO great and you deserve it ALL! SO much support for you at Canada next weekend - we will all be rooting for you! When you have ANY doubt, always pull this into your heart & head and dig deep for everyone that cares about you! I have no doubt you will have an awesome race, Bree! GO GET em and enjoy! Jen H. :)

Runner Leana said...

What a fantastic gift! Have a great race at IMC!!

Cricket said...

I didn't see our names? I hope ours made it in the book? ??**%$ Oh Well- I think you know in your heart how much we love and cherish you! The Richau's are so proud of all you are- We will be praying for you all the way til race day in Canada! You arew a gift to our family! Thanks for being you- inspiring us and so many others!

Love You- The Richau's

Flatman said...

We all are so proud of what you have, and what you will accomplish.

Now GO FOR IT!

I will be cheering from the computer on the 24th... :)

Kim said...

You know you have it in you, so don't be afriad to just let go and let the Big Man take care of you all day long! I promise, whatever you need, he'll be there, and we will all be back here rooting for you and cheering you on!! Go for it Bree! This is it!! It's your time!!

Samantha said...

Thanks for laughing. It hurt. lol. Too bad I didn't take my camera and get scott to take pictures of me on the ground. that would've been funny.

I'm in Kelowna right now (not far from Penticton) and its hot as all get out. A high of 36 today.

ShirleyPerly said...

Hee hee, I know how she did it but I'm not telling ;-)

Best of luck in Canada and I hope to see you when I'm back in Kona September!

Linda Bless said...

Don't forget... Brooke had a hands on in helping out with this as well as "Brownie". Many thanks to them !

Bob Mitera said...

Rock the house in Canada Bree!

PS: I'm coming to Kona in October for sure. Still not sure if I'm a race marshal yet but I will be working out.

Bob Mitera said...

Rock the house in Canada Bree!

PS: I'm coming to Kona in October for sure. Still not sure if I'm a race marshal yet but I will be working out.

Speed Racer said...

No, thank YOU!

Knock 'em dead. VROOOM!

Steve Stenzel said...

YEAH! I'm glad you got our notes!!