Friday, August 29, 2008

Follow Your Plan...

One of my 3 doctors in the med tent at IMC... She was the nice one that felt bad for disqualifying me...

In the course of 5 days I have learned more about triathlon than I have in the 3-4 years I have been racing it. Perhaps it takes putting all your hope and energy in one spot, or sacrifice for one moment, or completely enduring the unexpected to really learn.

I am no stranger to losing. To pain. To sacrifice. To fear. To getting your hopes up just to see them flop. But disappointment was something new. Something I had yet to really feel in my tri life. Maybe because I always try to see the "bright side" this emotion hasn't really happened to me. I didn't see anything bright at the end of IMC.

Yesterday I sat to chat with Coach Lance, he was the man that brought me to understand what I was feeling. He asked if I feel disappointed about IMC. I did but didn't know it until he said that word. Until he said it I never even considered that a feeling in my life. I was disappointed. Disappointed in myself and disappointed for feeling I had failed my coach for not sticking to the plan he worked up for me...

After that we moved on... we found a way to not let it happen again... to follow my plan. If you stay on your course, on your plan, and do your thing then you set yourself up to succeed. Maybe succeeding is winning, or getting a Kona slot, or running a personal best. Maybe to follow your plan and just finish is to have success. I was disappointed because I let my plan for the race slip out the window...

After every race, the big and the small ones, coach Paul has me send him in my race reflections on the Friday following the race. That week is supposed to allow me time to reflect while the emotions have had time to "settle". Today I sent him my reflection...and I moved on...

Now my head and heart are clear, my mind is free from the past weekend's "disappointment". It is time to follow a new plan. And I got a good one. A real good one. Coach sent it and the word "fun" is on the list... I am about to have fun!

Come race day... Kona slot or not, I will be following my plan. And following it will get me to the finish line "successfully".

I am definitely in the mood for a little success...
.

20 comments:

Rory said...

Your positive attitude is a huge inspiration in my life.
Thank you.

TriGirl Kate O said...

I always try to put "fun" at the top of my list too! Go get 'em, Bree!!!!

rr said...

Bree - I've never seen you look so sad! And I thought the mean Drs didn't get to be on the blog;)

Onwards and upwards, right? You did it, you learned, and now you have all the more expertise in your back pocket for the next one.

Vroooooooooooommm and have lots of fun!

Damie said...

Go Bree Go! Enjoy your time with the girls this weekend. Say hi to the horses and you zoom past them on Sunday and go for it! As they say in KY, Go Baby Go!!!!!!

Jennifer Nottage said...

Bree.......I've learned so much about you, triathlon, what really constitutes winning and victory, true friendships and love in this past week that I consider your experiences to serve not only deep purpose within yourself (learning to cope with disappointment) but far greater purpose in the people that you touch. I am one of those people that stands spiritually electrified in awe right now as your share your journey with us in real time.....if I may offer; being will to race and take risks; being willing to share yourself openly are clear examples of courage....one example I absolutely want to emulate and am sure many other's as well. You are so, so special.....always. Like Rory says above......Thank you thank you thank you...I will not waste this electricity...I will go out and take new risks...brave my fears and commit to my best. Thank you......Jennifer Nottage

Train-This said...

GO BREE GO!

The Young Family said...

thank you for being so truthful and honest with your feelings. It is wonderful reminder that even you "immortal - ironman - as I like to call you!" have some of the same thoughts and feelings as I do. I sometimes look at pro-athletes as superhuman machines, while I know that is not true - you put it in reality for me. You are full of heart! (and I love that!)

Thank you.

Go get 'em! May you get your Kona spot this weekend!

Em

Audrey said...

Bree!!! I so missed screaming at you on the 'out and back' at IMC. I was so worried when I didn't see you! I was praying for you big time! I can totally relate to everything you just posted. That was me 19 days before IMC when I rolled my ankle. Boy did I learn a lot about myself, disappointment, determination, pain, life and why I race triathlon. I believe things happen for a reason. You will rock your plan this weekend! It was so great to see you at IMC. Maybe one day, my best plan will come together and I will see you on the 'out and back' in Kona one day! Thank you again, for your never ending inspiration you give me everyday!
Cheers Audrey

Leah said...

Your plan sounds like a good one. Made me smile. You'll be great, no matter what happens.

D said...

Like your last name says... Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Have fun out there! :D

Sarah said...

Bree, you're gonna be awesome this weekend. Go out there and give it your all, like you always do. Believe in yourself and your plan and all your experience! Think of how far you've come and how many people you've brought with you on Bree's Wild Ride and how inspirational you've been to all of us!

You're gonna be fabulous, Bree - because you already are! Now GO GET THAT SLOT!

Big hugs and smiles,
S :)

kerrie said...

your honesty is so refreshing - it is okay to be disappointed but i am glad you were able to learn and take what you needed from the experience and move on! it is those kind of moments that make us stronger and tuff as nails :)
i'll be cheering loudly from here for you on sunday!!!!!
and please enjoy the day for me!

Shawn and Tracy said...

The tough days are what makes the other days feel so special. Have a special day on Sunday :-)
Tracy

ShirleyPerly said...

Wouldn't ya know it, this Floridian is heading to Kona this weekend (not Kentucky). But you can bet I'll be cheering for you on Sunday :-) I can say for a fact that disappointment is a great life lesson. I didn't really flop at anything until fairly late in life because I was too afraid to try. Now flop or not, I'm out there having fun. Life's too short not to. Best of luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Bree.

In my eyes...you've already won....

L

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Your words are a big encouragement to me, as one who has been disappointed on many an occasion. I really hope it goes well for you on Sunday. Follow your plan and don't worry too much about what the others are doing.

baron said...

Go Bree, go kick some okole!

dpc said...

Bree,

There is a little known maxim in my business of futures trading that is..."Plan the trade and trade the plan." I thought a little twist on this really fits here...."Plan the race and race the plan!"

Best of luck to you in Kentucky!

dc

Mel said...

Hey woman...where are you hiding??? Are you getting your game face on or WHAT?? Me and the kids made signs for you:) I can not wait to see you out there tomorrow kicking butt!!!!

rebecca said...

Hyla Brook

By June our brook's run out of song and speed.

Sought for much after that, it will be found

Either to have gone groping underground

(And taken with it all the Hyla breed

That shouted in the mist a month ago,

Like ghost of sleigh bells in a ghost of snow)---

Or flourished and come up in jewelweed,

Weak foliage that is blown upon land bent

Even against the way its waters wnt.

Its bed is left a faded paper sheet

Of dead leaves stuck together by the heat---

A brook to none but who remember long.

This as it will be seen is other far

Than with brooks taken otherwhere in song.

We love the things we love for what they are.

-----by buy runescape gold