Saturday, August 9, 2008

I have em' too!

One of my MOST FAVORITE male triathletes, Leonardo Chacon from Costa Rica!

Yep, I have em' too. (lots of them!) I am pretty sure everyone does. Hard days. Bad days. Not so good ones. Whatever you want to call them. They exist and can be BEAUTIFUL things...

Here is a little secret I learned from Terry Orlick: USE them.

Pretty simple. Every single not-so-good race or training day is fully stocked with learning experiences! Those learning experiences are opportunities to make BIG improvements. I never just have a bad day and toss it in the trash or call it "not counted". They all count for something. Pick out the good parts, the things that went well, felt good, you enjoyed, made you happy, then pick out something to work on (if the day was one of the not-so-good-ones).

Another something I learned from Terry in our chat: Move on, don't dwell on it, do not focus on it.

This second thing is something I JUST LOVE. It is sort of an excuse to "forget about it". A chance for me to quit beating myself up over it.

So why this post? Because for some reason I have recently gotten questioned for never having a bad training day or race... totally appreciate the kind words and belief that "it's all good" in my hood... but I have bad days too, I am just getting better at learning from them and focusing on the "good" in them rather than the "bad" in them... (that is from Terry too).

Okay... so here goes today... my not-so-good training day just to let you know I have em' too. Here is my response to coach about my first real training session back after the post-Kainoa-germ-infested-sickness!

The Session: A mid-sized warm up, some accelerations, then some hill climb repeats (my favorite!), and a nice ride down into a brick...

Athlete Comments: Totally forgot to do the 5-6 accelerations! Not even kidding, I thought I was going to pass out when I first got started, my arms were so weak, my legs were tingling, everything in my body was as if it had never been used! I told myself I can tuff this out, this workout isn't fast, just strong, and I am strong... once to the hills I was feeling better, 8mph up a hill never felt so nice. Down the first hill I barfed on my bike! ooop's, gross, hold it together Bree! NO I am not pregnant and not on my period, I think this junk sickness is still in my gut! BUT, by the 3rd repeat I was JUST fine and enjoying my ride! Phewww...I made myself drink water even though I was just not wanting it and was scared it would come back up BUT it helped a lot! I will load up the SRM file soon, on its way...

Then I had to run, it was supposed to be a ZONE 1 run, you know, low HR...

Athletes Comment: Zone 1? What's s that? The moment my feet got running I was at 147 and from there I stayed in the 50 ' s till the little hills, that got me into the 60 ' s. I think it was either really hot, my legs are really weak, or the HR monitor is broke "again" because I was running slow... trying to anyways...

So... I had "one of those days". BUT I picked out as much good from it as I could and carried on...

Okay... back to Leonardo Chacon! Dios mio! I used his photo because he is one of my most favorite examples of using the not-so-good-days and making the most of them. I won't write his whole story (I might be one of his biggest fans, me & the ticos (Costa Ricans) go way back!!). A little something written from Libby Burrell:

Today I pay tribute to a young man with the heart of a lion! At a time where Leonardo Chacon (COSTA RICA) has almost watched his 2008 Olympic hopes and dreams fade away with bad luck (a crash in Mooloolaba, Australia and then a plastic packet getting stuck in his back derrailleur of his bike and totally putting him out of the race) he has jumped onto yet another long haul flight this time to South Africa and run his way into an excellent 16th spot at the Richards Bay BG Triathlon World Cup blowing new life into his possible Olympic journey. Bad luck nearly ruined it again for him though when his bike box went missing on the flight from the USA only to arrive in Richards Bay on the morning of the race! Despite all of this he stayed focussed on the job at hand and delivered one of his very best world cup performances of his career.

In my books Leo is a superstar in the making with an attitude that will stand him in good stead in his triathlon career for many years to come.



17 comments:

Beth said...

Loved this post Bree!! I was just thinking about all this stuff on my ride this morning - about how really successful athletes are most likely successful because they are better able than anyone else to use their disappointments, learn and then move on and not lose confidence or not beat themselves up or not panic. Such an important but hard thing to do! Anyway - hope you are feeling better. No more puking on the Scott!! :)

The Young Family said...

As I had a horrible training day today - you read my mind!! I haven't written about it yet - but it was 8 miles of torture! 16 total! A record for me. As I was shamefully walking with a deer in the headlights look about me, the elite athlete that helped us a few weeks back passes me while on her training ride! the horror of it9not really that I was walking, I can handle that, it was the "I'm done" attitude I had when she passed me - I sucked it up and painfully ran the last mile back home.... learned a great lesson that I will learn from....

Fuel before running 16 miles!

Yes, I was an idiot this morning.. but I have learned from it, and won't be doing it again!!


Em

rr said...

You don't cuss as much in your athlete comments as I do.

I know you have hard days, and today I sat on the side of the road, crying and hyperventilating at 80 miles into a 110 ride. The wind had me riding about 12 mph and I couldn't even hold Katherine's wheel. I didn't think I would ever make it home and I lost it.

I thought of you - your attitude on a bad day is 10x better than mine. I decided last IM was good enough and I was going to sit around and eat doritos on Saturdays from now on.. but I know you would have kept at it. Somehow I made it home from the North Shore..

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Sorry that I always regard you as bionic and out of this world. I guess if I saw you when you go out training I would realize you are human, too. Anyway, be careful these last few days before you fly to Canada. Keep well.

kerri said...

Bree, loved this blog. Thanks for putting all those feelings into words. Way to push through your workout even while feeling yucky. This is one of those that will be revisited. Positive mojo is being sent your way as you prep for Canada!!

Speed Racer said...

You know, right before I sat down to read this post I was coming down off a temper tantrum and thinking about how nothing is seeming to go right in my life right now. I was just coming to the conclusion that I need to learn to let things go when I read this. Seriously, Bree, every time I read your blog it's like EXACTLY what I need to hear at that moment.

Not that it's anything profound, or that you haven't figured out already, but I think your attitude is what sets you apart from the competition. You don't linger on the bad days, refuse to let setbacks bring you down, and most of all seem to have SO MUCH FUN in everything you do. I hope everyone gets as much out of your words of wisdom as I do. Thank you.

Ryan Denner said...

love it!

man, those tough workouts are brutal during, but once the dust settles - all good in the hood!

your enthusiasm is infectious...

Anonymous said...

Passion, Passion and Passion! Positive Attitude, and Open the eyes of my heart Lord! Train Hard
and keep on smiling. Love your Blog and we love you, Love Mom and Rodger (God's wisdom are shining on you, use your gifts) Miss you honey girl.....Proud of you

triguyjt said...

I love how he made lemonade out of lemons and its because he has a positive attitude......

thanks bree

have a great week

ShirleyPerly said...

Great post!! I've been accused of not having many "bad" days but really it's all in how you look at things. And certainly I have learned a lot from those bad days (and bad races), perhaps even more than I have from good ones. They all count!

Trigirlpink said...

Good Lord.. I'm still thinking about the clean up in isle 4. You did good. I would have left my child and ran. Notice I don't have a child. lol...
I hope you are feeling better today.

Eric said...

My brick run on Saturday was slow and dizzy. It provided me with a flashback to my marathon at IM USA in 2006. It sure was slow but it reminded me of what my run could feel like at IM MOO.

Barfing on the bike. Way to tuff it out.

Mel said...

You just have a rock solid attitude for all the training workouts: the good, the bad and the ugly....you take them all and deal...you are like a ray of sunshine:)
P.s. Did the stuff fit??

Wes said...

I'm OK with sticking to zones off the bike, as long as they are equal to or above 4 :-)

I've had bad days too, but for some reason, they are distinctly hard to remember!

Train-This said...

The bad days remind us of how good the good days truly are. I wish with my head injury I could just forget em!

HA HA!

D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D said...

Bree Wee! I'm watching you on tv right now (Vancouver Half). It's interview time for you in the middle of the swim... thanks for the kind words about Vancouver, though you are speaking the truth hehe :)

Can't wait for IMC!!!! YAY!