Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lucky Me...


I am in, THANK YOU to Janette Harshman for letting me in the race SO LATE! #2513, that's me! Since I entered so late I don't get a cool low number with the other pro women, fine by me... at least I get a number! (and it's not written with a permanent marker like they joked it would be)

Ironman Kentucky is off to a GREAT start! My room is SO much fun! It is a SUITE bigger than my home in Kona! I feel like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman! My shoes & swim suits are all over the place just where I like to toss them AND NOBODY COMPLAINS!

In fact, Tila (my bike) gets her own bed...she is resting now, I told her it is okay that her wheels are still a little sore from Ironman Canada, she will be ready for Sunday!


Yesterday started off with a swim at the University (we aren't able to swim in the river yet, fine with me, you can't see the bottom if you looked for it!). Kate Monster and I had some good laughs as the pool is set up for swimming by speeds. The lane labeled "slow" had people sitting on the wall. The "medium" lane had a man that was literally swimming on top of the lane lines! He was all over them. And the "fast" lane had a woman swimming without a swim cap, hair all in the face, but at least she was moving.

The life guard asked if we were Ironmanner's. Yep. So he let Kate and I swim in the deep end!

AND my adventure at the grocery store was the BEST! Nobody knew what an Ironman was, "an Iron what!?!!". And they had no clue that it was coming to their neighborhood! I got all sorts of funny gestures and some very cool pick up lines:

  • pssss. psssssst. pssssttt. pst. psssssssssssssssssssssssssst.
  • mmmmm girl. Nice.
  • You work here, you are workin' it.
  • You wanna be my honey?
  • Whatcha doin' wit dem legs girl? mmmmm. girl.
Today Coach Mark, Katya, and I rode one loop of the double loop on the bike course. It is like no course I have ever ridden! I loved it.


We rode through rows of corn, pastures of horses, and leaves falling from trees. Through little towns, over little rolling hills, and next to barn after barn after barn. I really loved the course. The different views and constant little rollers really help the mind stay awake.

Check in was pretty fun too. IT IS SO EMPTY! Unlike any race I have ever been to, this one was so laid back. Everyone is so happy, so friendly, and just 'chill'. I hung out at the Lifesport booth for a while, told them I need some coaching :) That was fun messing with Coach Dan, Coach Lance, and Coach Mark. Then I hung out at the Zoot booth chatting with Ben about Rachel for 3 hours... we voted her the hottest girl on Earth!

AND now the fun begins! Remember I used to live in Florida? Well, looks like EVERYONE I know in Florida is coming up to see an Ironman! My family and a couple friends are on their way now! Thankfully Tila takes up a whole bed so I don't have to share my princess suite!

Alrighty... that's it in Kentucky. Eat the chicken, it's good here...

AND again, thank you to everyone that is being so cool about this crazy try #3. I appreciate YOU ALL more than you may ever know!

Thanks Steph for this photo... it is the last 2 miles of IMC bike... TOTAL motivation to FINISH IMKY!!



.

42 comments:

endurancegirl said...

Whatcha doin' wit dem legs girl? mmmmm. girl

that's the best one. I would love to see their expression once you TOLD them what you were about to do.

Best of Luck Bree!

Benson said...

Oh them KY boys have never seen the likes of you. Too funny.
Sorry I missed you at IMC, you're too damn fast.
You're gonna nail this one.
Hit a home run.
All the best.

Beth said...

Tila in her own bed? Oh Bree - that's classic!!! :)

You are going to rock it Bree!!! We will be praying for you as always!

Flatman said...

Go Bree....have fun, but not too much fun before the race!!! :)

Brad said...

"Welcome to Kentucky.... feelin' lucky????"
hope you hit it out of the park!!!!!!

Jessi said...

Damn, your post reminded me that we still need to send you the pics my hubby took of you on the bike. I'll email them to you tonight, promise.

Jamie said...

Wow. Gotta love southerner's pickup lines. Haha.

You never would have thought you would have been here two weeks ago, right?! Crazy.

You seem to have settled in to the new race plan pretty well, so you should tear it up!

Oh, sweet helmet by the way.

Maijaleena said...

Love the pickup lines! I'm sure you'll get some more good ones before you leave. Get lucky out there!

Dolphin Boy said...

You gonna ride with the disc or the 808's?

rr said...

How could you not go home with one of those boys with pick-up lines like THAT???! Ha ha.

I love Ironman week.. it's so fun and social.

And you and Ben are full of it. He just wanted you to stand around and talk to him longer because you're cute.

Go get 'em - I want to hear all about the best marathon of your life when all is said and done!

Anonymous said...

Bree! Rip that course up! It's awesome you have another chance at it...I have to wait 4 years to get my revenge!! You can do this, I'll be cheering for you the whole way!!
Lisa

Roch Frey said...

Bree,

Great to meet you at IM Canada! All the best at Kentucky this weekend and see you in Kona...

Roach

D said...

That's one SEXY spermy helmet you've got going on there (of course it's the reason I recognized you when you went zooming past my dad and I on Main St. that one day).

I'm actually jealous that you get to race this weekend. I wish I could redeem, but I guess I will wait my year.

F THEM UP OUT THERE! :D

Maggs said...

You'll have a great race this time! I want to see a super fast finish time when i check the results after my ride on Sunday! Show Kentucky what those legs can do!

Marni said...

Kentucky is my home state!! I'm sending you GOOOOOODDDD luck vibes!!!!
You will do great.

IM Able said...

This one is YOURS, Bree. I can feel it!

Have fun out there this weekend!! We'll be watching from up here in PA.

Anonymous said...

Great looking helmet. We just finished preping the house. Gonna make some kick ass signs, then crash. So we can get up at 4am to drive to IM lucky Kentucky!! Wee love you Bree and can't wait to see you.
Uncle Paul

MaryMaryMyers said...

Wow, folks, not only is she an athletic diva, but a successful comedic sportswriter as well!

Way to go Breely, race on! L,M,N and I are all praying and cheering you on!
P&L,
Mary

triguyjt said...

2513..will be watching and hoping you get a kona slot..

whut choo doing wid dem legs there girlie????

give good vibes to all my cleveland area ironman racers.....

bring home the bacon!!!!LOL

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Sunday morning live commentary: "That must be Julie Dibens leading going round the turnaround buoy, no, wait...that's not number 47! There seem to be four numbers on her cap - how come she's right up there? Did she start with the wrong group? Oh! the number's 2513. Who on earth is that?"
Have a fun and safe race Sunday.

Anonymous said...

IM Kentucky is one of the most backwards races you will ever do. I did it last year and have some very fond memories of that race....my favorite one was right outside LaGrange on the loop portion of the bike course were three hillbillies BBQing something, with a dead racoon proped up on his hind legs wearing Mardi Gras beads. Next to them was a sign made of a full sheet of plywood that had "M dot" drawn on it with a caption that said "Ironman...you gotta have ironballs to sit on a bike seat that long", I'll never forget it. Good Luck!

Cricket said...

See you tomorrow! I can't wait- Aubrey's boyfriend is coming with so you'll be able to meet him!
Love you-
See Ya in LUCKY KENTUCKY!

Meredith said...

We'll be there to cheer you on!

The Nottage Family said...

Oh yea!! This looks like you are going to hav fun and TOTALLY in the right, fresh, frame of mind.......man.....we support you with heart and soul because that is what gleans through you.......HEART AND SOUL......it is no coincidence that you have the love and support of so, so many...it is your radiance...so go shine some lights on Lucky in Kentucky:)....each race you do not only teaches you about yourself; your generousity in sharing with us teaches us all 'bout ourselves....not to mention inspires the heck out of me!! Thank you thank you thank you....

XOXO The Naughty's Nottage Fambily:)

Dylan said...

Have an awesome race!! We'll be following along online from Atlanta.

The Young Family said...

I can't wait to follow you on your race! Awesome you get another go at it!

Have a great time, as I am sure you will.

Go get 'em Bree!!

Em

Anonymous said...

Viel Glück an diesem Wochenende!

Good luck this weekend !

L

Train-This said...

GO BREE GO! This Weekly Ironman stuff is FUN!

jahowie said...

Good luck Bree!! I'll be cheering you on from here!! :-)

Meredith said...

Wee, your pick up lines from random Louisville peeps are HI-LAR-I-OUS!!!!!!! I dig!!!! I

Wow, you must be big time, Roch Frey is leaving you personal messages on the blog page...You go chica!

Redemption time.......GITRDONE

Trigirlpink said...

Alrightly then... let the games begin! STAY OUT OF THE CORN FIELDS!

Bases loaded! Hey batttaaaaa battaaa... SCHWING!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

Looks like the stars are aligning perfectly for this weekend! You show them Louisville guys what those legs are for and kick butt.

Wes said...

It would seem that Southern Charm is fraying at the edges...

What you doin wit dem legs, gurrrrl? Can I borrows dem fo a while?

ROFLMAO!!!

We ended up with a suite at my first tri this year, and my bike got its own bed too. LOL... That is so cool.

You have a great race, gurrrrrl! Tell Kate Monster to push you :-)

Lisa G said...

Have an awesome time on Sunday and go get your spot! You deserve it! Can't wait to follow the race on the live feed.

Bob Mitera said...

Bree - Good luck! See you in Kona either Wednesday or Thursday before the race...unless I can get there sooner!

Give them hell!

Bobby


PS: people seem to work until Thursday or Friday before IM KY and IM MOO and then do their race Sunday and back to work on Tuesday...ouch. I did that ONCE and never again.

Cy said...

Oh Yes...Of the two Splish suits you had last week, looks like you've now chosen the lucky one!!

GET R' DONE Girl!

Kellye Mills said...

GO BREE!! Have a great race! :)

Sarah McMillan said...

Bree, Great to meet you in Penticton at IMC. You are going to SMACK this one out of the park Girl. Love those pick up lines! Show them Kentuckeans what this Kona Girl can do!

Madisonduo said...

Good Luck! Third time is a charm! Go rock the KY course!

Anonymous said...

Bree, It's wonderful being here with you! You are Awesome! See you in the Morning, Love Mom and Rodger <>< <>< (Are you looking out your window?)

Anonymous said...

Strike 3 is your stirke.. go get them. I know you will.

/Adrian

Sarah said...

GO BREE! Bases loaded, hit a HOME RUN!

Those quotes are HILARIOUS. I loved the workin' it one. I can only imagine what a raucous you must be causing in KY...girl...wit dem legs...mmmmmm!

;) HAVE FUN!