Sunday, September 28, 2008

6oz & 4oz...

Putting it all together, what a puzzle triathlon is! Just when you think ya got it, something else gets a little puzzling. For me it has always been nutrition. My first ever big race I decided to stick to just water and calories from gels or blocks. I stuck with that (because if it ain't broke don't fix it). I ended up crossing the finish line just over 4lbs heavier than when I started (you know they weigh you pre-Kona and post Kona if you end up in the med tent). That was fun carrying around a beer belly, I mean H2O belly... I flushed a bunch of electrolytes with all that water, but hey it worked & I didn't get stomach cramps or barf...

SOOO... all my longer races/training days I just added more calories to my massive amounts of water. Puzzle solved. My nutrition plan was dialed in. Then I did something really dumb. I wanted to be cool. So I tried a sports drink in my last long distance race. Completely dumb trying something new on race day, I know...

Back to the drawing board. Back to water and calories. But how much water? 6oz and 4oz... those were my numbers. Turns out this "chef-boy-o-Bree" can't measure to save my race!

As I chugged from my water bottle on the bike (my 6oz every so often) was like 10oz. And as I ran through the aid stations thinking I was having my 4oz of water, I was downing a nice 6-8oz. No wonder...that Tasty Bake Oven I had growing up certainly did not help my measuring skills AT ALL...

The test is on.

Coach said TO DIAL IT IN. TO KNOW IT. No more guessing my sips, chugs, drinks, and gulps (I grew up on Slurpees, I can GULP with the best of them).


So what's a girl to do? KNOW her ounces! Know them well! First I filled a measuring cup with 6oz, poured it into the water bottle, then drank the 6oz from the water bottle. I learned the "feel" of a 6oz drink from a water bottle. I got SO GOOD I could fill my water bottle full and take a 6oz drink by "feel", I can spit almost exactly 6oz into a measuring cup! Then I got a dixie cup (like on a run course), filled a measured 4oz into it, got the feel of 4oz in my mouth... Then filled the dixie cup full and took a swig of what I thought was 4oz, spit it into the measuring cup, and nearly perfect!

Of course Kainoa's spits never made it into the measuring cup...

This could pass as a 3rd grade Science experiment, but to this rookie it was all about mastering the fluid intake on the bike and run!

AND to try it out in "real life", not my sisters kitchen... I had my last 5hr Brick (as swim-bike-run) today prior to Longhorn 70.3... and I let's just say there were no bonks, no barfs, no major electrolyte flushing, and IT WAS HOT... nutrition success!

THE biggest mahalos to Pablo for keeping me honest on the open water swim intervals (it hurt racing you), to Doug for reminding me to drink on the bike and letting me beat you back to town, and of course for the run in the heat (I know you hate it!).

Happy HOT training!

20 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Dude...you are such a cheese ball.

do you make Jim take all these silly pictures of you in "action"? Poor guy. No wonder he chews!

Dolphin Boy said...

Spit & Chew? What is your family doing these days? I'm concerned about you Daisy Duke!!LOL

BreeWee said...

Hey Pat, I know you wish you were involved in our household craziness! Dusty is probably scared of all your laughing, we can hear you from our house!

Go get your tighty whiteys clean for the underwear run, we got about 8 gals all ready for the fun, why we invited you I will never know! Bring your Big League Chew too, or you can't hang with us!

Dolphin Boy said...

I'm going to wear one of Kainoa's Diapers for the run!! (clean one) does he have clean ones?

Big League Chew and 8 girls? Eight is enough? or the Lifesupport girls cheering section? Kinda like the Hooters girls? LOL!!!

You invited me cause....ahhhh I'm HOT and Hairy!!! LOL Plus you need a good laugh on Thurs AM before Ironman Hawaii.

At the underwear run aid station you can show us how you intake fluids and measure. But just incase you get upset tummy I will bring puke bags for you. It's going to be tuff out there and I'm concerned about your nutrition. Maybe you should wear the diapers? Hahaha!

rr said...

Nice job Kainoa!! I love that pic.

I always consider one swallow = one ounce. And I never, ever was smart enough to consider measuring! This is why you are the pro and I am the bimbo about 10 minutes behind you. :)

Marni said...

I did the same thing but with a flask from my fuel belt. I would take a gulp and then see how much I actually took in. I just love science experiments!
-marn

Kona Shelley said...

Hope your experiments work for Longhorn...good luck!!

TriGirl Kate O said...

That's a really good idea! Love the pic of Kainoa doing what mom does.

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, shows you what I know (or rather don't). I didn't think 4 or 6 oz made that much difference.

Good luck at Longhorn!!

jahowie said...

I wouldn't think that 2 oz would make that much of a difference either. I hope that you get it all figured out. It looks like you are putting the work into it. :-)

Samantha said...

you always have the best pictures for all your awesome posts. I'm sure I'll say it again, but good luck in Texas this coming up weekend. You will do awesome!!! ps. I like all your stickers on your juicer in the background of your spitting pic. haha.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Yeah - this is GREAT! I think Mary Eggers did something like this when she was training with Carbo Pro... the spit test. :) But its something that cat totally affect the race. LOVE the pic of Kainoa... classic. :) Great job with the Brick. Texas here you come!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree! GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND!!!! Have a super day! You know what I do? Take a black permanent marker and make a mark on your bottle FOR EACH 6 oz - use a clear bottle - so you can see/ensure you drink the 6oz or however many ounces you need. Happy racing! :) Jen H.

Flatman said...

Good luck in Austin!!!

Mira Lelovic said...

You may luck out in Austin and it be cool. We're expecting a "cold" front here in Arkansas tomorrow. Good luck! You'll do great regardless of the temps.

Mer! said...

Oh my gosh Bree! This is awesome. My friend Julia and I were JUST trying to figure this out on our ride yesterday--she marks her water bottle like Jen H. suggested....I, um, well, I'm still guessing "gulps" like you are (WERE!)...so, guess I need to figure this out too. Amanda gave me homework to figure out specifically how many calories I need....I need to do my homework!!

You're being so smart! You're going to have an awesome race in Texas..and the heat..you always run when it's hot, hello, you live in Hawaii, those Texans have nothing on you!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Trigirlpink said...

Cheese ball DB? Nutty Weazle Ball...
you are a funny one there BREE WEE... and I see Kainoa likes to use the Swiffer too. His future wife will appreciate that he has homemaking skills. :-)

Benson said...

That reminds me of a college drinking game.

oh the humanity!

Brooke Myers said...

What time is Kainoa coming over to finish mopping my kitchen floors - he left a spot near the dish washer!! ha ha

I did try this experiment this morning when running, but actually I have no clue how much I was taking in from all of the fountains along All'i... who knows!!

Shawna Barlette said...

Bree, have you done the sweat test in Waimea? Not sure if they are still conducting the test though. Dr. Hiller is the main doc. I found this test to be the single most important preparation I did for IM. The hospital weighs you and does a blood draw prior to the test, then they meticulously simulate 4 hours in the heat on your bike (on a trainer), measuring every ounce of everything, including all your sweat, then weigh you and test your blood again post test. The results give you EXACT hydration and electrolyte intake amounts. It was worth the expense. Best of luck to you at Longhorn. Shawna