Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Like A Pro...

Jes...

Last season I read nearly every triathlon magazine from front cover to back cover... but it was the "pro interviews" I paid most attention to. I loved them. I absolutely loved to day-dream about "a day in their life". Imagining how a professional triathlete lives...

I loved reading about Tyler Stewarts Dog business and her love of the power tap, Desiree Ficker's gluten free eating habits and her special recipes, how Katya Meyers is riding elephants in far-off lands in a swim suit, what Kate Major would put in her special needs bags (or not use one), Kim Loeffler's favorite runs with her twin, Sam Mcglone's new house & new sponsors, and of course Macca's killer confidence.

These interviews were so much fun for me as an age grouper. Partly because as I read them I realized they were once age groupers too and they are still normal people, just really fast ones. Throughout this season I have been fortunate enough to stand on the start line with many of them. Even be part of training camps with a few of them.

Like you, me, them, any child, reaching a dream all starts with "I want to do that". Thinking on it, day dreaming about it, striving for it gets you closer... and maybe we reach it. And now having been both an age grouper and pro, aside from prize money, sponsors, and only part time jobs, the differences aren't that many.

The goal for almost everyone is still to win or be your best, to train smarter and faster, to remain healthy and injury free, to silent the butterflies pre race, to ignore the naysayers and cling to those that support you, the shared list goes on...

last night I sat in a yoga class next to a world champion swimmer. She has more records than I am years old. She is a professional on so many levels. She asked me why I was in the class. Other than the fact I know it is "supposed to be good for me", I didn't have an answer and I told her that. She said, "Bree, you are here because there is no clock, no pace, nobody to race." She reached the top because she can turn on and off that switch. That switch that lies between going and being still. I have no problem keeping my mind focused when I am going (chasing a friend, pacing, making a send off), but to sit in that class and focus when I am not watching a clock, friend, or pace, I am LONG gone...

She helped me unravel the mystery between some of the best professionals in sport (any sport),They have the ability to focus while being still... The ability to keep the mind going when the body is done...

After listening to her it got me excited to see the last few miles of the marathon during Ironman. I will get to see those that have their minds going while everything else is stopped (so to speak), or wanting to be done... front row seat to battle fields of the mind...

19 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Nice post Bree! The last few miles of Ironman Hawaii on Ali'i Drive should be in slow motion and tri to make it last forever. Ali'i Drive was the pinnacle for me! Chicken skin all the way home!!

Slow down, make the moment last forever. Enjoy yoga, you never realize how fast we really are going!!

See ya soon!

D said...

I wish I could stop hating yoga. I just... hate it. Gimme some ballet any day though!

Flatman said...

Great post...you are growing in so many areas. It's fun to watch your progression. Your attitude is amazing. :) Thanks so much for sharing all this insight to your "pro" journey!

Laura said...

Wow, what an amazing thought!! Thanks for sharing Bree!

Shan said...

Beautifully put!! I think that this post embodies what we all need to embrace in life...

triguyjt said...

fantastic perspective...

unless we can be still...
we can never run within an inch of our athletic lives....

and on previous post..kainoa on the surfboard...thats priceless

themagicisback said...

The last few miles will be a huge battle field! The goal this year is to stay mentally strong and not be a casualty. When your body's telling you stop and your thinking of walking, your mind has to over ride that and push that much harder. Good Post Breezo!

Jen said...

I like you more and more each post, Bree. Absolutely true! I will remember this next time I am struggling...which will most likely be tomorrow. :)

Danielle said...

It's great to see other's people's perspective sometimes! I wish I could shut my mind up (it keeps me awake at night!)

Alili said...

What a wonderful post and great insight. We all need a little something to shut off our minds; this post certainly made me remember mine.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I unfortunately don't get to attend a yoga class here, but I see riding my bicycle to and from the pool as the equivalent, where I just go through the motions of pedaling and day-dream without having to worry about the clock or whether I need to put in effort or not. Try to do a lot of things that are fun and unstructured, besides the serious "brutal" workouts. Another good post to get me ready for my "work" today.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

What a great post! Thank you so much for sharing these incredible words-of-wisdom. This is great - really interesting stuff. Enjoy the yoga! You have inspired ME to go more often!

Maggs said...

Great post Bree. Yoga is amazing for the body and even more amazing for the mind. And the things you learn from others will always be invaluable.

Mira Lelovic said...

I just started reading this book about TaoSport. I think it's going to incorporate alot of self meditation and reflection. I am excited about it! Hope you stick with the yoga and enjoy it!

Speed Racer said...

Sorry, what do you mean by "when everything else is stopped"? Like they're a champion on AND off the field, or that they continue to compete when the competition is far behind them or... what?

Clearly, I am just trying to soak up every word a pro has to bestow upon us ordinary mortals, and fantasizing what it would be like to live a day in the life of one of the best. But my goals in the sport are a little different from yours and the rest of the pros: I just want a visible abdominal muscle and a Tour de France ass. How fast do you have to be before THAT happens?

GoBigGreen said...

I agree with you on the mind and body. Dont you feel like you have to separate mind and body when in the final often painful stages of a race? Otherwise your mind would SO quickly tell your body to "Sit that butt down and stop moving!"
Fun to hear about the mental side of things from you Bree. That must happen when you get to put away all the measuring tools ( powertap, HRM, etc..)
Thanks:)

Anonymous said...

This is a great post, Bree. I love the mind/body connection and the thoughts from the TOP athletes in any sport...Now that class was definitely worth your time! And, I have never raced with anything - once I tried an Ergomo - ugh...I race on soley on effort...and it is that "switch"...Great post! Jen H. :)

Frayed Laces said...

Hi Girlie--
You were the hot topic at our Ohana run last night..."Bree Wee reads FrayedLaces' blog!"

Thought you'd like to hear how popular you are...

beth said...

speaking of interviews....i heard you were on simply stu!! james listened already..can't wait to hear it.