Thursday, September 18, 2008

Mambo #5...


Actually it is "Heart Rate Monitor" number 5! Yep, today I got my 5th HR monitor of the year... At first I tried to lose them, I would loan them out and never ask for it back (I really didn't like the things). Then I got good at "accidentally" leaving the HR strap at a race or two. I also had the broken battery excuse a few dozen times. Then Trakkers sent me one, then coach gave me one, then I lost all 4...

Today though, I got one I like, neon orange! Vern even taught me to use it! And I am planning to keep it! And the most fun part, you don't have to use the watch part! You can just wear the strap, then go home and plug it into your computer and there is ALL your info! But I am diggin' the neon orange, totally 80's, so I am planning to use it!

My day started with Dave and Cody dragging me through my intervals. I sucked their wheels till we got to the final hill before we turn, then it was time to add a little speed & race them up the hill... I know they hate when I do that, but I can't resist. The old HR monitor said I was at 108, that's when I knew I needed a new one...

But the BEST part of my day was the open water swim practice...

Jim and Kainoa paddled as safety patrol for the 2nd/3rd pack...

Kainoa and all his future girl friends...

Then the real fun began... open water swim practice with coach Steve, the fastest high schoolers I ever tried to draft, and the age groupers that amaze me! Like Maddy Foo (pictured above with Kainoa), she swims about a 24 in the 1.2 mile race. I have drafted her several times then tried to out run her up the beach... nothing like getting smoked by a 9 year old!

Our swim was PERFECT! Calm water, crystal clear views of the coral below, and perfect company! Coach Steve jumped in with fins to coach us through drafting skills, pacing, and sighting practice. My swimming has improved tremendously since he took me under his wing. Prior to him and coach Paul I was a 1:05 open water 2.4 miler. Then I got to an hour, last year they helped me to a 56, and this season they got me to a 52, 54, and 53.

Today my goal was to learn starts & positioning, holding my pace, not freakin' when I lose feet, and making a gap. Coach Steve was with the high schoolers and I in the first pack, Auntie Laura on the stand up board and Jim & Kainoa paddling were with the other 2 groups. It was like a giant open water swim race but we were coached through it, through all of it!

The opportunities I am blessed with on a daily basis, living here with such incredible training partners, Coach Steve, my sister and Nick, and my hubby & son truly made this day special... it even got me excited to share it all with the athletes coming out to race Ironman Hawaii...

Happy Training everyone!

19 comments:

Maggs said...

That post made me really look forward to the swim in Kona. The one thing I've really been dreading! Thank you for that!

D said...

Hi, this is jealousy writing. I believe I will be moving to Hawaii soon and you are to blame. As if taking a vacation over there wouldn't have been enough to tempt me, I have to read about all the fabulousness from you. Thanks a lot. :P hehe

Beth said...

Your swim practice sounds awesome!!! And the 9 year old that can swim a 24 for 1.2 miles?!?! Geez - must be something to that Kona water! :) Have a great day Bree!

Kate Monster said...

Hey Bree! I am trying to catch up on all the blogs, YIKES! I am so out of the loop. I LOVE the new hrm! What's not to love when it's bright orange? Your swim sounds awesome...did I mention its cold here in Iowa now in the morning? No more open water swimming for us.

Flatman said...

Now that might be the coolest workout ever. I am super jealous!

Have a great weekend... :)

TriGirl Kate O said...

I am in awe of Maddy! YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Love The Pictures!!! Everyone looks great! Keep enjoying each moment...Hugs and Kisses, Love Mom and Rodger

Steve Stenzel said...

Love the photos! Try not to "lose" your new HR Monitor!! ;)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Nothing like chasing the hs kids, right?! What a FUN workout - wow - LOVE it! Whatever they have in the water... send some my way! :) Keep up the GREAT job!!!

Anonymous said...

Bree....glad you are having some fun out there...! It made me smile....I should have changed my ticket to Portland (Nationals) to KONA later. HAHA. :) Jen H.

Kellye Mills said...

What an awesome day! And I LOVE that watch! Who makes it?

Rory said...

Awesome!!

Cricket said...

Miss you all- so happy for you! Jim looks like the "ole Jim" agaain! You must be gettin him in shape. Kainoa is adorable as ever-
Love You- Cricket

Shawn and Tracy said...

So it is possible that I will get faster in the water??? :-) Thanks for keeping my hope alive.
Tracy

Mama Simmons said...

I hear ya on the little kids and their blazing fast swim times! Every summer I do those north shore swim races here on Oahu... The "Woohoo I won my age group!" feeling goes away when you realize that if you were 14 you would have placed 7th. ;)
Swimming in Kona is awesome... count your blessings!!

triguyjt said...

great pictures.......

and I am amazed at the 9 year old....wow......what a fish...

If you lose that heart rate monitor, theres gonna be hell to pay bree!!!! LOL

Eileen Swanson said...

CUTE PICS! Love 'em.....missing you here in Vic, Wee!

luv,
E

Linda B said...

Hey Bree !

You can't loose that HR Monitor. It would be impossible as it's the brightest watch I've ever seen! But I love it! Really !

Brooke took the plate home yesterday and will return it to you. Mahalos for the treats:) They were sssooooooo good! SO good!!!

FYI: there were only three left. I got to take those home.. lucky me. They're all gone now. Anyway, everyone (except for your fast training partner) loved them. He (TMIB) said he prefers Oatmeal Raisin to chips. Hint, Hint....

I want an invite to the Nottage/Wee Baking Day in November. If you let me go, I'll assign myself as to the official treat tester as well as baby sitter.

Auntie Linda

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

If you want to lose any other HRMs, we have a Kona friend flying out to Kaohsiung, Taiwan at the end of September to stay with us. My one died after I had the battery changed and took it swimming. It filled with water almost immediately.
It was a pity I missed the open water swim practice. I could have learned a thing or two. I think my best time while in Kona was about 1:16. Don't know if I could beat that now.