Friday, September 19, 2008

Ruby Red Slippers...


Move over Dorothy, your ruby red slippers don't have nothing on these babies! Dorothy (from the Wizard of OZ) clicked her little red slippers 3x and found herself back at home... I clicked these little red Asics 3x times, crossed my fingers, and hoped they would give me some FREE SPEED!

How did I get my hands on these hot little Asics, I mean my feet in these little ruby red racers? Can't tell. But the woman that wore them did win a whole bunch of Ironmans, has several run course records, and goes by the name of Lori Bowden. These "were" hers. I pranced around in them (perfect fit) just immaging I was running a sub 3hr marathon off the bike. I ran around in them pretending my legs were flying like hers did in them. It was some fun day-dreaming!

However, lucky slippers aren't something I believe in and I am more than positive it takes some serious running to make them move fast. So I headed off to my own yellow brick road. It was actually a sandy beach road, me and Dorothy have different goals...

Talk about a tornado, I mean pain and suffering! The plan was 8x1 mile repeats on 8 minutes. Other than the fact the view was great, it was hot and hard. Just what I needed since the ruby red slippers aren't making any miracles out of my running. I would love to say it was easy and I had a fantastic run... but it hurt and I was suffering for sub 6:10's. My goal was to stay within my HR goal (zone 3) and crack some nice splits. But when the going got tuff I was faced with the option to go faster than the HR goal and get the splits or miss my splits and stay within the HR goal. Darn. I am not good at this pacing thing and I would rather nail my splits than not cross any zone lines...

New HR monitor on the wrist, neon orange and hard to avoid, I went for the HR... it was hard for me to do as I am not one to "enjoy" running by heart rate but rather by feel... with 8 painful miles complete and an ice bath, tomorrow is another day, another run...

Sharing the workout:

  • Warm up with 10 min. easy running and some pick ups, light stretch optional
  • 8x1 mile repeats on "about" 3 min. slower than your 1 mile time. (if your best mile is 6min then your repeats are on 9 min, if your best mile is 7:30 then your repeats are on 10:30-you get the idea)
  • Run these in HR zone 3. Challenging, yet doable pace for all 8. The goal is to not blaze the first one but not "save" for the last one, make each one count.
  • Cool down 10-15 min.
Happy Training!!

22 comments:

Beth said...

Great workout Bree!! And great to be disciplined with the HR monitor. I think we all hate that stupid thing sometimes but I guess sometimes training "smart" instead of with just "heart" yields better results. Anyway - great job! Hope your run goes great today!

Melissa said...

Hi Bree. Nice job on the mile repeats, that is a sweet workout. I bet the ruby slippers look very good with the neon orange HR monitor. All you need now are some hot pink wrist sweat-bands?

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Love your "yellow brick road"! Beautiful beach - way to go with the repeats. Good for you for trying the hr thing! (Sometimes its much more difficult running with your head than your heart). Your legs will thank you!

Naughty said...

Oh my.......just when I thought it wasn't possible to beautify your 'leg package' any further you now have this ruby addition.......right on!! You should seriously enter a Legs Competition!! You could win with those rubies as the added touch......whissshhhhhhhhhhh.......thar she goes......into the sunset at the right HR!! Woo Hoo:)

Samantha said...

Coach P gave me the exact same workout this week...and same thing happened to me too. Go a little out of the HR zone and hit pace or keep pace and creep up a bit in the HR zone. My legs felt zone 3, but my HR was a bit high. Mine were around 6:10-6:15. Too bad we couldn't have done it together :( you're encouragement is awesome!!!...even when we're all hurting together (like those 2k repeats at camp in july)

happy training and keep up the awesome work Bree!!!

rr said...

Nice job -- he gives me this one too and it's one of my favorite workouts. But you're running them just a weeeeee bit faster than me, ha ha, OK a lot :) I LOVE your orange watch!

Damie said...

I really like this workout! And, I, too, have some lucky running slippers that have been worn by a super fast runner. They have been encouraging me to get out there and bust some a$# with hard work!

Jen said...

Naughty is right, Bree! Nice legs, and those ruby "slippers" would not look nearly as good on just anyone!
Guess what?? My run this morning was awesome...thanks for the encouragement! I will update my blog later in the weekend probably. Happy training!

Train-This said...

Are they smelly shoes? Are they really hers???? Way to go woman! my time goal in Texas is to finish within 60 min of YOU!

Mel said...

OK Bree....I have been wearing YOUR shoes...but have not had much SPEEDY LUCK:( HA! I really like those RED shoes and that watch could the numbers get any BIGGER?? Have fun down that sandy road..now you just need the little dog to run with you!!

Mike said...

I'm not understanding the workout, are you saying you're doing 8x1 mile and each one is 3 minutes slower than your best mile pace? It doesn't make sense to me because you're talking about doing these in 6:10 and that obviously can't be 3 minutes slower than your best mile. What am I missing here?

Dolphin Boy said...

Aloha from LOST! Sorry haven't written or updated my blog. Been really busy then tired after long hot days filming with LOST. I will post some pictures soon. All the cast are way cool having fun with them!!

Okay...you are stealing my secret run path. Don't spread the word. Shhhhhh! And don't let the HR monitor dictate your workout, yes go by feel.!!

I'm running Sun AM. Guess who I see also running the same route? Evangline Lilly (Kate from Lost). Too cool. I think she wants me. She tries to pace with me looking at my arse!! LOL!!!

themagicisback said...

Good thing I didn't do these with you! Probably would have went over both zones. HAHA! I don't know about those shoes...then again my orange and yellow newtons aren't that stylish.

OH AND BREE! I Almost crashed big time after the group ride today. Jimmy and I were coming down the coffee villas road and I hit a rock doing about 35mph on a curve and almost didn't make it. The tire blew and I had to lean enough to make the turn but not too much or the rim would scrape the road. MADE IT BY INCHES!!! The BUTT cheeks were clinched, the heart rate was skyrocketed, thought I was going down for sure! Jimmy was surprised I made it! SO SCARY!!!

Silvi said...

Hey Bree,
thanks for all the postings and workout sharing! But one stupid question... what are these heart rate zones about? How do you get them and how many are there? :-)?
Greetz- Silv

Anonymous said...

You owe me a dollar!!!

Cash only, I don't take credit cards.

beth said...

i like that workout! i love inervals that can be done on the road and not the track.

by the way...i told james i wanted the pretty orange HRM... he said, "of course you do....do you want to make out with bree wee and rachel ross too?"...ha ha. very funny james...

BreeWee said...

Hi Mike...
sorry, I don't have your email so I hope you get this...

I'll try to explain it a bit better...

My best outside mile is about 5 min. So I do my set 3 minutes slower than my best mile, I do my 8x1 mile repeats on 8 minutes. Every 8 min. I go, start the next mile repeat. I was holding roughly 6:10's so I was getting about 1:50 rest.

Hope that make sense... all the best to you.

Anonymous said...

After a great work-out there is no place like home!! Love ya, Mom and Rodger

Shawn and Tracy said...

Sweeeeet kicks;-) She gave me a few things in my 1st year of tri and I still have them. The stuff is totally warn out but seriously those are things you keep. Maybe sleeping in the stuff is the trick???
Tracy

KA said...

Bree,

Bobbi's daughter here again.... Keep up the good work! Thanks for sharing this workout. I'm definitely going to try it a few times. Also, I've used your long-swim chocolate-almond smoothie recipe and LOVE it. Thanks for sharing that, too!

Kailin

Amber Dawn said...

Lori Bowden's shoes!!!! You lucky, lucky lady :-)

Speed Racer said...

WICKED sexy shoes. Dorothy had nothing on you! Thanks for sharing the workout too! I'll have to steal it and imagine I'm... running a mile in your shoes, so to speak.

I can't tell from the picture, were you running mile repeats in DEEP SAND?! If so, that is the most badass thing I have ever heard of in my life!