Sunday, September 7, 2008

Running for Joy...


This morning was a run only because I love to run. No HR monitors, no watch, no nutrition to think about, no plan, nothing to train for, just a run...

I ran on the beaches of Pine Trees. The waves were dancing, the sand was packed and firm from the morning dew, and I was the only one out. Instantly my thoughts turned to Ironman Kentucky and the longest 26.2 miles of my life... Why could I have not ran like this then? Why could all those incredible long runs I had in training not have been put to use in Kentucky? Why on a race day did my run, my favorite sport in triathlon just not happen for me? I stopped myself from thinking about it and went back to enjoy my run...

Crazy how in the midst of the season we just run to run, run to stay on our plan, run to hit some goals, run to lose weight, run because coach says too. In fact, this morning was supposed to be any easy run... just a run to get blood going, but I felt incredible... I decided to just go with it. My legs had all the speed they needed since I walked most of my 26.2 in Kentucky, and it felt so good to go fast. I pretended I was in IM Wisconsin running with Hillary, I pretended I was In Kentucky and I didn't get passed by 8 women, I kept my lead off the bike...

I need to do this more. I need to run more just for the joy of running.

Yesterday I had a swim with the Oahu girls (Rachel and Katherine) and as much as I love them, I skipped the swim to surf, I need to do that too. I have to remember to do the sports I love so much because I LOVE them and no other reason.

Finally, THE BIGGEST MAHALO to Max at trimax! He rescued me, much a like a little kid in the corner with her hands in her face, he picked me up and sorted out my nutrition mistake from Kentucky. I had no idea he was following my triathlon adventures and that he cared... but he did and he worked long and hard with me to get my nutrition back to where it was in Kona 07 & IM Japan... he solved my blond moments in run nutrition and hopefully saved me from ever walking that many miles again!

Happy running!

ps... Thanks for asking mom, but no, I am not going to Florida for 70.3, I gave my slot up. I will end the season with another half though... and of course Honolulu Marathon!

And to everyone coming to Kona, the weather is PERFECT right now, the vog has simmered a bit the past 2 days and the cool breezes are starting to come in. The highway has 2 lanes opened out of town, and the new plaza will be opened by the time you all get here! AND, the highlight... Kona is getting a salad bar! It should be opened soon too, no, not as good as your Whole Foods, but it is a start! And I hear Rachel will be there signing autographs! (she is the Queen of salads you know!)

23 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Salad bar? where?

I was running down at Energy lab this AM? Was that you who buzzed by me not saying hi? LOL!

rr said...

Hardy Har.. autographs.

Hilary just won!! I am so excited I was crying :)

Beautiful run photo.. you are such a beautiful girl, Bree, inside and out. It was great to see you yesterday and chat a while...

There will be lots of running.. I foresee a 2:50 at Honolulu for you.

TriGirl Kate O said...

I would pay good money for rr's autograph! I love your post and picture--as one who struggles with running, I hope one day to love it as you do. You make it look effortless and beautiful.

TriSaraTops said...

Hi Bree! I just had to say you've been a big inspiration to me--I just heard you on Simply Stu's podcast (I'm one of Stu's teammates) and had to tell you how much I think you ROCK! I just had a baby boy last year and to see someone like you be such a successful mom and triathlete is just awesome. Thank you! People like me really appreciate what you do!

SwBkRn said...

Always do what you love! (Bree's coach close your eyes) even if you have to skip a workout to do it, surf and run on the beach because you can, because you want to and because life is too short not too.

kerri said...

Love it...love your attitude, your motivation, your drive, your spirit. Ahhh.... that run had to blissful..no stress, no beeping things, no watches, straps. Just you and the sand and the pure enjoyment of running. Good for you, you deserve it.

Eileen Swanson said...

Woohoo WEE! Awesome, just run for the joy of it for sure. I think I am missing this too. Where has it all gone? Thanks so much for the awesome email. I am reading it over and over and over.....you are so right. I have got to get it together in the head first ;-)

P.S. Yup Belle has TONS of friends ;-)

Love ya,
E

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

A forced break is good for you, since there is no "off-season" in Kona. You have the potential to rule at those Ironman races, just give yourself time to recuperate. If possible, try to qualify for next year a bit earlier, don't leave it until the last minute - too risky in my estimation. Help Cody with his running preparation - practice being a coach, too.

Mark said...

Good to see you kickin' back and enjoying life. I enjoyed some good FL hurricane swell myself today. 3-4 ft with some solid overhead sets...hells yeah! Board rash tells me I've not been surfing enough!

Joy said...

That sounds like such a great run. I need to remember to do these training rides and run because I LOVE to do them, not because I HAVE to do them. Thanks!

Train-This said...

Coming back to the heart. That's where it is sister.

I hope you have the "I know Mary Eggers" sign handy for your pro sightings. Make them hold it and take a picture. Trust me they will feel lucky!

:-) Mary

Jessi said...

Great post. Happy recovery!!

Eganski said...

Thanks Bree!

My girlfriend reads your blog--you're very inspiring to all, even those who don't compete in triathlon. As I told Mac Brown after his first race--Tiger Woods missed the cut in his first pro start. As long as you continue to learn, as long as you make mistakes only once, and as long as you keep being you...you'll do pretty well! I'll see all you Huh-why-ins in a few weeks!
mike egan

greyhound said...

Agreed with Jessi. I love it when I have one of those "ah ha" moments and remember to run for joy.

Coincidentally, running as worship was part of the topic on confessing runner this week. I admire your continued joy and enthusiasm through these temporary disappointments.

Cricket said...

So glad you're enjoying "you" and "family" time!
I wish running was my favorite- I guess it is when it's not scorching here in Florida! I want those cool breezes- soon!
Love You

Kim said...

Glad you enjoying running..it's good to get back to the things we love because we love them...rediscover so to speak. I'm going to check out that thing from greyhound on running as worship.. I think I do that sometimes already but I need to work on it more!!

Maggs said...

A salad bar? the BF was just telling me about a salad bar place he used to visit on the mainland, he'll be happy to know he can go to one in Kona! That's a great picture of you running. Keep up the awesome attitude.

Cy said...

I'm so happy you found that joy again! Beautiful.

I love the KONA updates-I'm getting so excited to visit!

ShirleyPerly said...

I can hear the joy in your post!

Glad you got out there and had fun. No wonder I didn't see you at Peaman.

Is the salad bar coming up in the new shopping plaza? I can't believe how fast it's come up!!

D'Arcy said...

Bree - Great meeting you in Louisville! I hope that's the hardest race day i'll ever have to face! :) I will do some pro spotting of my own and look for you in Hawaii! [I'm staying right above the Lava Java, so shouldn't be tough!]

D'Arcy (Lynch) Dawson

Anonymous said...

When I run I think of you girls(Bron, Bree and Brooke) My training for Disney and Sarasota Marathon is going good. Hot but good, going after pieces of my life one step and thought at a time. When I run I think of my Br girls and all the distances they travel and all the places God is taking them too, Enjoy this time in your life, for around the corner
God has great Plans! Always in my heart, You are so beautiful, Love and prayers, Mom

triguyjt said...

bree...to run simply to run is a perfect way of putting it..

just joy..not job...
have a great day

rebecca said...

The Sea

(1)

The Sea! the Sea! the open Sea!

The blue, the fresh, the ever free!

Without a mark, without a bound,

It runneth the earth's wide regions 'round;

It plays with the clouds; it mocks the skies;

Or like a cradled creature lies.
(2)

I'm on the Sea! I'm on the Sea!

I am where I would ever be;

With the blue above, and the blue below,

And silence wheresoe'er I go;

If a storm should come and awake the deep,

What matter? I shall ride and sleep.

(3)

I love (oh! how I love) to ride

On the fierce foaming bursting tide,

When every mad wave drowns the moon,

Or whistles aloft his tempest tune,

And tells how goes the world below,

And why the south-west blasts do blow.
(4)

I never was on the dull tame shore

but I lov'd the great Sea more and more,

And backwards flew to her billowy breast,

Like a bird that seeketh its mother's nest;

And mother she was, and is to me;

For I was born on the open Sea!

~~~by aoc powerlevewling