Thursday, September 25, 2008

TJ is in the house, I mean pool!


In this crazy sport I think it really helps to have someone to look up to, someone that has "been there-done that". A little advice when you just need some, some motivation, a few tips, just someone that has been where you are...

This year and living in Kona (a place where a ton of pros come every year) I have been really lucky to meet so many professionals, even more lucky to call one or two "friend". Last season, TJ Tollakson came to Kona & all the locals fell in love with him. He is so down to Earth, humble, and just a really hard worker. He invited so many of us to his post-IM party, he asked to train with us (we "tried" to keep up), he became the adopted pro from Iowa that we hated to say "bye" to and could't wait to welcome back to Kona.

He is back! Kona Pool was brimming to the top with pros last night... Macca was in the water, a couple Germans, a gal from England & our New Zealand buds were hanging in the parking lot with us, but it was TJ that had our little swim team all smiles. The high school girls were blushing, Coach Steve was honored he returned to train with us, and of course lane 1 was glad to have him pull us through (well, at least try to hold his draft).

When workout was over, like a 5year old I asked Jim to hand me my tri mag (TJ is on the cover), I just had to have his autograph, I think I have 3 now, I collected some last year too... But to many of us here TJ is a friend. Much like when pro Hawaii favorite Tim Marr swam with us last week, it was a big deal to us...

I am not usually one to "pick race winners" because I feel so bad not choosing someone... but I have to confess, TJ is near the top with Timmy Marr. He has a huge Kona crowd support and I will be one of them chalking "TJ" the Friday before the race (A bunch of us go chalking every Friday prior to race day if you want to join us and chalk for your racer)...

Oh, Rach, don't you worry... we have a couple GOOD ones for you...

And as for my super swimmer... Kainoa and Jim worked on belly flops while I swam. Here is my 2 year old flopping with the best of them!

23 comments:

Cricket said...

So cool- and Kainoa is growing up way too fast...Surfing, swimming, is he biking yet?
Give him a hug and kiss- I love you all!

rr said...

Hee hee.. love those little feet (Kainoa's not TJ's!!) You are so funny asking for autographs.. they should be asking you!

See you soon..

Jamie said...

Wait, please tell me you didn't forget your plan and you stole something. Right?!

Haha.

I guess getting his autograph counts. :-)

Ange said...

how fun...I'd have a blast gawking at all you pros out there in Kona. :) And a pool workout with you guys...dream!
Thanks again for the food suggestions..got some Ezekiel bread today! I didn't knwo it existed. My kids loved it! Woohoo!

Stephanie Corker Irwin said...

You are the most modest and humble pro in the circuit! (with a totally hot family:)

Sue said...

Oh, you are sooo much fun to read about...Chloe (my 12 yr old) & I are coming to Kona to watch...She wants to make index cards for the stats...with their pics on them...(and yours) good idea I told her...

Frayed Laces said...

Aww...that picture is too sweet! Lucky you!

Missy said...

Macca swimming in your pool. How cool is that! Thanks for posting about that, fun reading!

triguyjt said...

isn't it cool how down to earth all the triathletes...pros and amateurs are????


this sport never ceases to amaze me.....glad you are somewhat getting used to the travel and all the little tricks needed to survive.... keep on cranking bree!!!!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

How fun! Love the image of people "chalking" out in Kona. So cool! Wow - the pool must be really packed with tons of uber-fast swimmers. So awesome that TJ swims with your Masters... keep on doing what you're doing and take in all the positive energy for your 70.3 just around the corner.... :)

Dolphin Boy said...

Can you sign my magazine from last year? I'll sign my LOST photo for you!!LOL

Karen said...

I agree with rr. They should be asking for your autograph! Thanks so much for the encouragement. I'm trying to stay positive but it's hard when I get so frustrated with my swim.
Good luck in Texas and I'll see you when you get back.
Love ya,
Karen

Anne_022196 said...

fantastic..love the pool buddy

Train-This said...

Oh my!!! Where's my sign? What was it supposued to say? I *heart* mary eggers? Bree you are slacking!

Maijaleena said...

It probably made his day having YOU ask for his autograph.

how fun to have so many pros in your pool.

beth said...

oooh! TJ looks all cute and smiles and Iowa goodness!

sounds like you are having fun....keep up the pro sightings! this is like "US weekly" for triathletes,,, i LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

LeAnn said...

Tim Marr's hotter...

kerrie said...

i am in for the chalking on friday morning so let me know! it'll be tons of fun - i've got lots of ideas now;)

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, how very cool! I wish I could have stuck around Kona for longer. October is a very busy month for marathoning for me, though.

Have fun chalking!!

Linda B said...

Hey Bree!

How come you never mentioned the post ironman BBQ two evenings after the race?!

Remember, at the Hilton? You, me, Tim, Grant, Jim, Kainoa, Brooke, Nick, Jason, Gary, his wife along with Macca and his family.

It was funny because when we finally found the Suite (after knocking on so many wrong doors!) you didn't want to go in first. You kept saying, "you go Linda, he's your friend! You know him..." but later on that evening, you two would sit there on the lounge chairs talking about your races. He having won his. You having won yours!

Classic scene only most triathletes could only dream of! You got to live it!!

Shan said...

Hey Bree!

That last pic of Kainoa belly-flopping is just too cute!

I got your message about the weezle-balls - take your time! I'll be eagerly awaiting them, but will promise to be patient :)

Now go kick some butt in TEJAS!!! :)

Mer! said...

Hi Bree! Looks like you're soaking up all awesome fun before Kona goes crazy with triathletes. We love your reports, so keep them coming!

Um, so, if I ever meet you someday, maybe i'll ask for your autograph, at least I won't be shy about it because you do the same thing. COOL! =0.

jahowie said...

That has to be a trip for them when YOU ask them for an autograph. :-) Have a great weekend!!