Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Chichi Peralta & Empanadas...



Yesterday was a day full of "los recuerdos". It was time for a fiesta... put on my favorite Latin singer (Chichi Peralta), invite over some good company, and break out the fry pan- EMPANADA time! These may not be best for the hips but they sure fueled my dancing and lasted into todays ride!

Just in case you want to fuel your off-season booty here is my recipe, learned straight from the heart of Playa Hermosa Costa Rica...

Playa Hermosa Empanadas

  • Maseca
  • Veggie or chicken broth
  • Chili powder
  • Chicken flavor cubes (bouillon)
  • Garlic powder
  • un poco sal (little salt)
  • water
  • Flour (I use brown rice flour) only for rolling
  • Corn oil (for frying)
  • Ground beef
  • Onions
  • Any hot or spicy seasonings you prefer.
Brown your beef with onions and spices. Heat oil to med/high. In a large bowl add 2-3 cups of maseca. Add 2 chicken flavored cubes, salt, garlic, and chili powder to taste (I add a LOT of chili powder). Mix well. Slowly add in water until your mixture gets moist. Not runny but not dry, "moist".

Spread the flour on a clean surface and all over your hands. Roll the maseca mixture into a ball, flatten on the floured surface. Spread beefy mixture on one side of the maseca. Fold over and press together with finger tips. Gently place in the oil. Fry for about 10-15 min. Remove & dry out on paper towel.

Enjoy with salsa, black beans, and some Chichi!


10 comments:

SeaCreature said...

Look- Shakira's hips don't lie and she pretty much had to grow up on this food- so I think your booty is going to be alright!!

Maggs said...

this looks right up my alley! Yum. Thanks.

TriGirl Kate O said...

Those sound amazing, but I've got to first find maseca. My favorite empanadillas are of the spanish variety with a more sweet meat/raisin mixture. I can send along the recipe if you want.

sbrtv said...

Wow. That looks really good. It is only 9:30 am here and I totally would inhale that if I had one in front of me. D-freakin-licous.

I'll have to find some maseca and make it this weekend.

Do you have to flip it when it is frying? Or just use enough oil so that it is covered?

Steve Stenzel said...

I want to fuel my off season booty!! Looks great!!

Triblog said...

wow, we latin americans love empanados! Even being a brazilian!

Liam O'Connell said...

dude, your pictures from kona were awesome, and the underwear run pics were really awesome. sorry i missed you at longhorn. i had to train.

enjoy hi, its getting colder everyday.

CoachLiz said...

Yum!

I wish I could still eat empenadas, but they tear up my GI track. Pumpkin empenadas are my favorites.

LeAnn said...

Delish!!!

Shawn and Tracy said...

I was suppose to be heading to bed but now I'm hungry....Time to heat up the skillet... Thanks Bree!