Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Share the Aloha...

A couple of the things I love the most about the swarms of people that come to Kona is observing...and meeting...and sharing...and learning... and of course the "self-check". You know, "self-check". When you take a small peak into your own heart...

Lieto and his son post race... they came storming by Kainoa and I on the run. Thought we would save time in transition by running bare foot but they caught us!


Today was especially cool... today was the Iron Keiki Biathlon. The event was to encourage "sport/activity" to the youth. To give them something meaningful to do with a bit of friendly competition. The children definitely impressed me. But what shocked me more was the pro field! To see Chris Lieto and Macca with their children, Michillie Jones, Fernanda Keller, Heather Fuhr, and a few others TRULY made me look into my own heart.

Obviously they love sport, but what was so cool was that unselfishly they were giving back to the community. I am pretty sure Macca, Fernanda, and Lieto could be at home "tapering" with feet up, but they chose to be there. No doubt Pele will be on their side Saturday! I was so impressed and all I could think of was that I hope if I ever get that fast and famous (not that I want fame but I'll take speed) that I always remember to give back and pay the love of sport forward...

Kainoa post race...all he wanted was the cookie and wouldn't even take a hug from Michellie Jones!


Then it was time for the parade. Got to catch up with my Swiss pal Susanne. Notice the over size surf trunks (Thanks for the loan Pat)... my surf trunks were STOLEN during the biathlon! Hey, if you see anyone in town with a pair of size 5 Roxy flowered trunks THOSE ARE MINE!

Natasha also showed up to show some support and flashed her famous smile to the crowds! Serisously, could one speedy pro woman have anymore class!?! What a golden person...

And finally, local boy Luis, Kainoa, and I just before the start of the parade... Kainoa was in charge of throwing candy (as you can see he ate most of it), and sorry to all the crowds that we ran out of shirts!

Almost showtime...more and more people are in town and the "athlete" wrist bands are already on! Happy Taper...


.

19 comments:

Sue said...

Wish we had arrived today, but will be there tomorrow...had a X-country meet that Chloe just could not miss...She so wanted a metal, but got a ribbon for 5th. I said no worries, I will find you a Pro to run with in Hawaii...she wanted so much to be in top 3..I told her it was just not her A day...we do have a small something for you however, picked out by a 12 yr old. Life just doesnt get any better...

Dolphin Boy said...

Hmmmmm...your shorts are missing in action? News Flash!!

Ohhhh...and "over size surf trunks?" NOT....you barely got JLo in those damn things! you know it!!
Bring it....

Kona Shelley said...

Thanks for the pics..please keep them coming...we are Kona starved over here...sigh..:-)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hooray for the kids biathlon - that's awesome! What a great thing to do for the sport and for the kids who see the adults racing. :) Looks like things are really vamping up this week! Enjoy the festive atmosphere!

beth said...

so glad you are home safe and healthy in such a great community! the biathlon sounds F.U.N....your little man earned his cookie!

everytime i read your blog, i want to move to kona. it brings out the best in people!

Mama Simmons said...

Your story today is especially cool to me since I'll have my own little one here sometime in the next 4 weeks!! I can't wait to do that biathlon with my kid in a few years... Glad you all had fun (and Kainoa has his priorities straight with the cookies!) ;)

Mel said...

How FUN..and you look really happy and GOOD:) ya know you are famous when someone steals your shorts...WTF?? They are walking around telling people "OH these are Bree Wee's shorts" Her and I are tight:) UNLESS it was a guy and then I don't even want to know!!!!
Have so much fun..with all the speedy peeps there and give BR a hug for me!!!!

Mer! said...

LOL about Mel's comments, that's exactly what I thought "THESE are BREE WEE's shorts..."

Looks like you're soakin it all up and taking time to smell the roses...i'm sure people love to see your smiling face out there as well, you're such a great motivator!!!

Thanks for keeping us posted, love the pictures....Kainoa's cookie looks really tasty =0

Eileen Swanson said...

Have so much fun WEE! Love the pics! Kainoa is too cute! Love how he just wanted that cookie ;-)

XO,
E

Joy said...

Kainoa is the cutest thing ever! What a fun week in Kona. I hope you enjoy all the fun and spectating in your own back yard!

CoachLiz said...

What a great carnival atmosphere! I run a kid's tri every summer and I get a kick out of the kids who ask if they can do it again because they had so much fun.

Beat the snot out of the person you find wearing your shorts!

Maggs said...

Wish I could have been there to watch. Kids tris always make me smile.

kerrie said...

that was sooooo much fun...the girls had a blast! lucie totally cut the course and turned around immediately because she didn't like all the people cheering for her and race crushed it....the parade was also fun, and i loved all of the candy ;). In 6 years of coming to kona, it is the first time i have seen the parade!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I see, Bree, that you used the word "if" in your posting today. Did you experience a little self-doubt when you wrote that? Anyway, I know I'll never be famous and fast, but I'll still enjoy what I am doing.

Dolphin Boy said...

I saw your Roxy Shorts today!!!
I tackled the hottie girl wearing them, tried to rip them off her but got arrested. Why do people freak out everytime I try to take girls shorts off?? WTF...??

I'll try again Bree only if you promise to wash MY shorts!!

Cricket said...

I was wondering about that picture with you in the board shorts- Ha! Ha!- I said OMgosh that's new for Bree! Not yer style- Maybe in High School huh?
Any how Kainoa is getting so big...I miss him!
Have a great week.
Love You!

Missy said...

Steve did Kona in '06 and I swear he had the hardest time taking that wristband off!
I wish we could be there. You look like you are having so much fun!!

Cy said...

Can Kainoa get any more Adorable?!?

See you at the underpants run this morning.

Charisa said...

I get my wristband today! We made it!!! YEAH!!! Bike too! (sigh of relief!) See you at the underpants run!