Tuesday, November 25, 2008

ja ja ja ja ja... coach is funny!

(Hey coach, honestly, me riding a trainer in Costa Rica??? Sorry, doesn't work with my board and bikini!)

Ramon, mi amigo from Puerto Rico has been helping me on my Spanish. I haven't really spoke Spanish fluently in over 5 years (since moving to Hawaii) so it is hiding... and I am searching for it...I need it for my trip to Costa Rica...

Lost in translation is obviously my wonderful coach...

Not sure how many phone chats, emails, and other forms of communication we have had on the topic, "I am going to Costa Rica", but it was a lot. In fact, I broke into Training Peaks and wrote on my schedule, "Bree goes to Costa Rica". "Bree returns from Costa Rica", just so he would visually be able to see it & plan accordingly...

SOOOOOO... this morning I discover, coach has put a 3 week "build-back-into-training" block up for me! YES!! Finally getting off my bum!! Eager as can be I look ahead at all the fun to be had... and in an instant I am on the floor hysterically laughing! I mean, it was the kind of laughing that hurts in your side, that makes you blow your drink out your nose, the kind that makes you cry it hurts so bad laughing. Poor coach. Poor me!

During the trip in Costa Rica he has me riding bike. (I did mention the bike is NOT coming) I only plan to ride waves and horses... I giggle and suck it up and decide maybe I will borrow an amigos mountain bike one day. But I read on... he has me riding for real stuff with drills and cadence and the most HILARIOUS PART, it is on a trainer!!!!???!!!

Is he for real?! Am I reading this right?! Riding bike in CR is one thing, but on a trainer...?? Does anyone in CR even know what a trainer is?? No way would I haul that thing all the way there!

That is the funniest thing I have ever read in my life... Bree Wee riding on a trainer in Costa Rica! Coach... ah ha ha ha, I am laughing just writing this... he is hilarious!

The deal is... my board and Asics. Let's just humor my coach, will the bike even fit in my board bag???? How about that trainer...

Didn't think so...
And so, the only training I want to see on Training Peaks is surf sessions, some beach runs, salsa dancing, maybe some ocean swims, a few hikes, some waterfall jumping, and horse back riding...

Bikes. No.

20 days till I am THERE!!!


.

22 comments:

D said...

Silly coach. You've already qualified for Kona. LOTS of time after Costa Rica for this silly training stuff!

Kellye Mills said...

Can I come??? That sounds amazing!!

Damie said...

Love it! I love to see that you are enjoying the off season.

Roo said...

That is a great pic on the trainer laughing! Glad to hear you're having a fun off season!

Charisa said...

Awesome! I need to plan a trip so I can have a countdown again! :) I'm excited for you!!!!

L1z4 said...

I think your training plan sounds AWESOME! That sounds like so much more fun than what the coach had planned!

Samantha said...

I'm visiting Scott for the week and asked if I could move my bike workouts around but nope...I had to hop on the spin bike at the gym. lol. Hope all is well!!!

Jill Costantino said...

Guess you told coach, you should ask for some recovery time from all of the laughing!!! Have a fantastic time!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Maybe coach was *trying* to be funny? Maybe he has this wicked sense of humor he's been hiding.

Enjoy MANY horsey rides for me.

And where did your new header go???

Jen in Budapest said...

Hey Bree - Long time. Looks like you're getting away to Costa Rica. It's SOOO beautiful there! It was one of my tops for places in the world that I've been to so far.

I'm seriously talking about doing the Sprint Tri on April 19th in Hawaii. Will you be around? I have a friend who started getting into the sport and want to visit some other friends there too. Would love to meet you if it works out....:D

Ordinarylife said...

And here the whole time you thought you paid him for his coaching ability not his comedy routine meanwhile????

ADC said...

Absolutely love the photo. Ditch the trainer and have fun in CR.

Mark said...

Your coach obviously doesn't know that although it doesn't deal with the whole specificity thing, surfing is a good substitute for swimming, core work, and strength training (legs) ;)

Pura Vida!

BriGaal said...

Bree - when we did our zipline in Montezuma, the guide had an old mountain bike set up on a trainer...he was like a master's national cycling champion. He was very nice - maybe you could ride there :) hahaha http://www.martygaal.com/briblog/2008_06_01_archive.html (Costa Rica Part 2, scroll down to see the picture of the bike. I'm sure it will fit you)

Cricket said...

Can't wait to see you and Kainoa- Paul & I love the picture of you on the bike! You're so cute.

MandyB said...

Sounds awesome! You def. deserve some fun time away rediscovering YOU! Costa Rica sounds great - and the Spanish will come back fast.

Happy happy turkey day!

Speed Racer said...

How about this: you'll promise to think about biking really, really hard for an hour every day.

I heard about this new treadmill invention where it actually MOVES as you run, so that you can take it out on the street and your treadmill will move at 3x the speed of walking. Kind of like, oh, say, RUNNING. Maybe they'll invent one of those for the bike one of these days.

Buena suerte, chica. Sobre todo, ¡pásatelo bien!

(PS The Spanish word for "trainer" is "rodillo", just in case you need it :) ).

Bob Almighty said...

Dang,I feel there is going to be another pic of coach trying to strangle you posted rather quickly...although I agree, why bring a trainer when you could ride a perfectly good mountain bike.

Amy Beth Kloner said...

That is funny. We rode bikes down here one day en route to MP, but other than that, just lots of hiking. Just as good! Have a blast.

Jamie said...

Usted debería tener fácil. Cuanto más resto, más cerca me vienen a la captura de que el próximo año a Rev3. :-)

beth said...

seriously. put the trainer to bed until the new year. you are going to have a blast in CR. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

noell blevins said...

you go girl!!