Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Underdog...

Poor Brent, the underdog going into Clearwater 70.3, being smashed to a pulp in Australia by a bunch of chics.
(Katya, me, Janet, Brent, Ayesha, Lisa, Kim)

If there is one thing I love it is cheering for the underdog. Of course it is fun to see someone completely smash a field the way Chrissie does... but the "underdog" always excites me. Just hoping they have a break through performance, that everything "clicks", that all the hard work comes together, finally...

So this weekend, my cheers, even though I like a lot of the lead men, will be going to an underdog. My computer will be covered in my spit as I scream for Brent McMahon. At the Australia training camp I watched him run 5 min. mile repeats OVER and OVER on a grassy, dusty, pot hole filled track. I saw him swim in waves that look better for surfing, and I watched him battling a group ride with Greg Bennett.

So Brent, Here's to you buddy! Bust up Clearwater like you know how and have some fun doing it! We will be cheering for you from the middle of the Pacific...

4 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Maybe you should wear a face guard to protect your computer from flying spit!!

Lord knows your computer has already been drooled on!!! Half of your keys have already floated away!! ahahaha!

chr15 tree said...

Oh Wow... a real life superstar dropped by my blog... Thanks :)

"Your first race of the 09 season looks like a blast!"

Ha, right now 2000m of climbing in 60miles doesn't sound like my kind of fun!

It seems like an age ago I dropped the swimming and running (I still do a little) to concentrate on biking, but I'll definately be watching the 70.3 Worlds, rooting for the brits Leanda Cave and Julie Dibens, thanks for the reminder.

Keep screaming for the underdog!

CT

MJ said...

He's been close in so many races this year and was only kept off of the Canadian Olympic team by a decision.... It would be AWESOME if he broke through this weekend.

Bruce said...

While I of course think the Brits will dominate the ladies' race, I am not sure about the men's race. However, Brent deserves a win in his own right. He did really well at Xterra in Maui this year and generally is very consistent. Only that he is usually overshadowed by Simon W. who of course is outstanding. It would be nice if you were doing the race too instead of just drooling all over your computer.