Thursday, December 18, 2008

Pura Vida!

Que bonita! Que especial!

Yesterday was perhaps the most perfect day! Woke up to the roosters and took a 5am walk along the shore with my friend Alberto´s madre... she speaks NO English, combined with my Spanish it was a hilarious converstation. I adore the people of this country, absolutely adore them.

After that it was time for a run... Playa Hermosa to the far end of Jaco and back...12 hillasious miles (I made up that word, it means hill-hell). Over and over I reminded myself just how incredibly blessed I am to have my job be triathlon! Training in places like this is just insane!!

AND THEN... surf! Paddled out with Juan & the Las Arenas gang. There is seriously nothing to top off a great run other than a great session in the ocean! After a wonderful sun burn it was time to do some holiday shopping! Spent much of the afternoon feeling the holiday spirit and found some treasures to bring home to my family.

Finally... mas arroz y frijoles... y despues (after the beans & rice)... the futbol game! My favorite friend of Costa Rica (Alberto) and I watched the futbol game, of course I picked the opposite team just to make it more fun cheering (and my team won!)

Today, 5am wake up call followed by a run on the beach. It was the most perfect run of my life... The sun was coming up, the sand was cool, barefoot, it was like something out of a dream. One stray dog ran the entire 5 mile stretch with me.

Topped off the run with a LONG surf and I am calling that my swim session!! My arms are now jello and my bikini filled with sand... perfect...

Everything has been incredible. My heart has totally healed and possibly this trip, the one where my goal was to learn to breathe again, has given me back my indepence, strength, and passion for life. Life is so beautiful and that darn broken heart of mine sure tainted it for too many breaths...

Being here with friends that know me at my best and have been a giant part of my life for the past 11 years was just the healing I needed. Of course so much in life has changed and they think it is hilarious that anyone would run to Jaco, but deep down I am the same Bree they always knew with the goofy smile, silly Spanish, and desire to live like there is no tomorrow. They have teamed up to get me back and it has been incredible...

Well, I am borrowing a friends computer and of course the fotos are not loading (sorry mom, I know you wanted to see them), better luck next try...

Off to find another adventure... like a motor cycle ride! Told Alberto my coach wants me to ride bike while I am here... he has just the bike... so I am going on the motorcyle and yes, I will claim that as my bike ride!

Nos vemos y muchos besos,
Bree

13 comments:

Jamie said...

Glad to see you have cleared your head and healed your heart. Just don't let all those awesome feeling fade away too quickly once you get back home!

Well except for the sand in the bikini feeling. I might want to wash that away ASAP, but whatever makes you happy...

Cy said...

I am SO SO SO happy for you.

Beth said...

Bree - so great to hear how awesome your trip has been and how much it has helped you be your good old self again! Definitely put a smile on my face. Enjoy the motorcycle ride! :)

Damie said...

yea for watching futbol! so much fun. I am glad you are really enjoying yourself. it is good to go back to our roots.

Eileen Swanson said...

Bree, I really, truly am HAPPY that you are finding your old self again, and loving life!! You deserve to be happy and I can just hear that laugh of yours ;-) I miss you tons and sorry we haven't chatted more lately. Thanks for the sweet card!

Your 'old' roomie,
E

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Keep practicing your Spanish. It's really great to converse with people who speak no English and to be introduced to their world. Feliz Navidad.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Bree! JUST what you needed. I am so glad you have had time to re-group and go back to your roots...keep loving life and having fun! :)

Shawn and Tracy said...

It's funny how sometimes we need to be lost to find ourselves.....Enjoy and love ever second you deserve this time.
Tracy

MJ said...

This trip sounds like just what the doctor ordered for you. Good for you for knowing how to get back to basics and 'repair' yourself.... that isn't easy sometimes.

Jill Costantino said...

So good to hear that your trip has done what it was supposed too.

Other people should follow in your foot steps by looking after themselves the way that you are looking after yourself!!!

Ramon Serrano said...

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Girl you regain your million dollar smile, that's a good sign!

Espero verte pronto!!!

Leah said...

Happy to hear you are getting some of the healing you needed!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Yeah! Bree is happy again. Makes me happy.