Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sand Castles...


My mom always told my sisters and I to build sand castles, she would take us to the beach and have us building the sand castles all while imagining we were creating dreams come true. My mind always reflects back to these days growing up and all the support she instilled in us to dream big and go after anything in this huge world. To never follow a path of one already written but to create our own and not be scared if the dream is insanely huge or unpaved...


I was once told that home is where you have been most happy in life. I am home. It is amazing to be here, to be living in the sand castle I built as a child. Waking up to roosters, running everyday, washing my clothes by hand in a tiny sink and hanging them to dry, cold water showers, dirt roads, hitching rides, laughing with friends that I have a history with, having only a small back pack worth of clothes and it is more than enough, this is everything I put in my dream. The surfing, walking the beach, the dogs, laying in the sand under a blanket of stars are just the cherry on top.


This week I have ran 54 miles, that is more than my best ever training week of 47 miles while training for Ironman Japan! My job is so much fun to do here with all the dusty dirt roads, little towns, and beaches to run on. Even biking is breath taking (not that I have ridden any real bikes). My swims are surfing, I jump in the water about a half mile away from the surf and paddle to it, then I paddle back. Surfing has been incredible! Even though that once dream to surf as my career is still in my heart, I love triathlon a lot and being here has helped me really fall in love with it...surfing is just cross training...

Laundry... done in the sink and hung to dry...Coach told me I need to take an ice bath with my mileage this week... I laughed so hard I cried.

"Dear Coach,
This is Playa Hermosa, there is no bath tub. Most of my showers have been in a hose outside and the ones inside are just a faucet hanging. Cold water is all that "trickles" out. There is no bath tub here (unless I go to a resort) and I am not a resort kind of girl. I like hoses and hand washing my clothes. I will rub an ice cube all over my legs though..."

Today's load... lucky my Spanish was good enough I bought real soap and not bleach! I have made that mistake before...

Breakfast of surfer/triathletes... ha ha ha ha

The day the white girl cooked... Rumor around Central America is that North Americans cook without flavor... just had to prove them wrong... "Que rico" was the only response and no left overs!
The road to my favorite surf spot on Earth... From my home here in Playa Hermosa to the beach is the same number of steps as it is from my home in Hawaii to the Kona Pier...



A palm tree growing... and me spying as my board gets painted...excited to see it!

My lucky number... home sweet home...


Waxing my magic board! By far the best board I ever surfed in my life. 5'11 and absolutely responsive! The first day I laid my eyes on this beauty it was love at first sight! I wanted to borrow it so bad but I know a surf board to it's owner is like a child to a mom and you just can't borrow them...

Later that day I saw Alberto putting my fins on it (I never mentioned to him my passion to try it, maybe he read my mind). Then he leashed and told me it is his magic board and I am going to love it! Felt like Christmas to me! All my sessions on it have been incredible. Kinda like finding the perfect bike or run shoes... My board is being painted... it is a surprise...


Alberto's money wave...
It really feels as if the dream I had in 1997 and the one I created in 2004 have collided, and they did it in my favorite spot on Earth. Surfing and training triathlon everyday... every single day...





Talulah my little dog, got her a neon orange collar too! She loves it!!

Mom, thank you for teaching me to build a sand castle and giving me the strength and courage to make it the way I like it. Now, if you could please send Kainoa on the next flight because I am home and want him here with me... See you soon mom, I love you!

Off for a surf and there is a shell in my pocket...

27 comments:

MJ said...

looks amazing.... life seems pretty simple. everything you need and nothing you don't.

Go Gammie said...

That is great you are having such an awesome time Bree. Your attitude is always so good and help us to appreciate the things in life. Instead of sand castles in CR, I can appreciate the snow caves in the other CR. No need for ice bath here, just go jump in the snow, it is all soooo goood!!!!!
Can't wait to see the photo of your board when it is ready :)

Val said...

Oh my God Bree. Your pictures bring back so many memories! Back many moons ago the soap of choice to "do Laundry" with was Prego soap. Life was simple and not complicated at all. Seems you're healing quite nicely. Merry Christmas!

Jamie said...

Awesome pics Bree. Boston just got its second storm in three days so we've got plenty of snow. Your pics are helping to keep me warm and live vicariously through you. :-)

I'm like that you are not a resort girl and can enjoy a vacation without all normal touristy stuff that most people rely on. Makes it a lot easier to appreciate all the little things.

Danni said...

This is beautiful Bree.
I am very glad you are enjoying your time home and healing your heart.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Maybe in the future, you and Brooke could move down to Playa Hermosa and start a school for the young children and surf and swim, bike and run to your hearts' content.

Charisa said...

So happy to hear you having such a great time with friends and what you love! Live it up!!!

Mel said...

Bree,,,your smile tells it ALL:) so glad you feel at home ans so peaceful!! It looks sooo beautiful ans SIMPLE there!!!

Cy said...

Great Post Bree. Way to find and embrace the simple pleasures.

Steve Stenzel said...

"rub an ice cube?" I don't know if that counts, Bree...

Breakfast looks GOOD!

And the one time I was waxed, I got "sticky bumps." Is that what that sign is talking about??...

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Perfection! Sounds like my kind of tri-training...now if only I knew how to surf :-)

LeAnn said...

Love it...simple.

beth said...

looks fun! can i have that omelette? PLEASE!

Shawn and Tracy said...

That is an awesome board! What a special place you have to visit. I can only imagine what it was like for a portion of your schooling.
Tracy

ADC said...

Wow, it looks amazing. I am glad you are having great time.

Kona Shelley said...

Costa Rica sure agrees with you..you look so happy..:-)

Trigirlpink said...

Awesome pictures! Oh my gosh.. I woke up to 15 inches of snowy white!! TRADE YA. :-)

I have a pretend shell in my pocket!!

xx

Zach said...

Glad to hear you are having such a great time down there - the pictures have been great, keep em coming.

Wes said...

Later that day I saw Alberto putting my fins on it (I never mentioned to him my passion to try it, maybe he read my mind).

You are home. Duh :-)

jesslover said...

this is so great. p.s. fry t. dog has a neon orange collar too!

Kim said...

Such a blessing to see you in your element and loving life. I couldn't be happier for you and your sprit seems so much brighter and more vibrant there!! I'm sure you miss your little boy but all in good time. You need this time to get back to the things you love!! Enjoy Bree!!

peterbkk said...

merry christmas.. from bangkok

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Great pictures and I am so happy for you! It looks so peaceful, fun and relaxing. Enjoy1

Jen said...

You had me at Sand Castles...
Once again, absolutely beautiful Bree...just like you and your radiant smile! :) So glad for you.

untpawgal02 said...

Such a heart warming post. Keep on enjoying what you are doing and where you are :)

TICA MACHA said...

I think I saw you running the Hermosa road today. Your photos are great! Teri

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Hey girl- What a blast! Sounds like you had a vacacion de maravillas! Enjoy the time with your family now... before returning to paradise. ;)