Monday, December 29, 2008

Touch Down Kona!

Phewwwww... 15 hours later back on the island! Just enough time to unpack and repack (Take out the bikinis from Costa Rica & Florida and load up long sleeves & socks for Canada). This must be a joke... April Fool's??

The time spent in Florida and Costa was sort of a "let's live again" trip for me... spent a ton of time pondering ALL the things I love to do and things that have been set aside "just because". I got a LOT of dreams swirling around in my head and heart at this moment... I miss teaching the children who don't have shoes so they can't go to school, I miss all the girls from my Bible study, I miss cooking and baking for my friends in CR (especially the ones that don't have money to buy food), I miss living near family...

Today I felt like Martin Luther King (even though I hold him in WAY higher respect than me), I felt like him because OVER and OVER I kept saying "I have a dream". I told my dream to Kainoa on the plane a million times, I told my family and a few very good friends, and I told Travis (my manager)... Then I shut my big mouth...

"When I stand before God at the end of my life I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, I used everything you gave me."
Erma Bomback

I have a dream...
For 2010 ( no need to rush away 2009, gonna FULLY enjoy all 365 days of it!)...
I dream to move home (NOT Florida home), Costa Rica home. There is incredible cycling there, GREAT running, and my friend Teri (local Playa Hermosa girl) found me a swim team! I can swim, bike and run there! Keep my talent with sport fully alive... and I can surf... and something REALLY dear to my heart, I can still teach! Not many people know this about me but I did a ton of teaching throughout Central America on mission trips during University and I miss it. There are a lot of kids in Costa Rica who stop schooling at 13 because they have to start working. I REALLY want to teach them at night (like home school) so they can graduate from high school.

For sure I am always up to some sort of crazy plan and it would take a lot to make it possible for Kainoa and me to swing it, but I can hardly stop thinking about it. I know dreams never happen unless you first write them then say them... I want to move to Costa Rica (only 2.5 hours from my FL family!!). Coach, do not kill me... WAY better biking and running there! And the surfer boys already told me they would paddle next to me in the ocean for 2.4 miles to practice! Look! There are a ton of bike races there too...

Anyways, the future is unknown, but dreaming is really fun... so with New Year's on the rise... DREAM really big! Gosh, it was just a few years ago (Jan. 6, 2003) that I moved to Hawaii and that was all because one day I dreamed about it... 7 years later I am ready for a new dream...

Happy Dreaming!!

.

27 comments:

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Yea Bree! Dream BIG - if anyone can make this happen, YOU can! Happy that you're safe and home for now and ENJOY your Canada camp. Hopefully no OW swims... :) Sounds like you had a great time- so happy for you!!!

ADC said...

You can make your dreams happen. And yours is a wonderful one. Hope it all happens for you. Ah and pack a lot of warm stuff for Canada.

Ange said...

I'm so proud of you for following your dreams Bree. It takes a lot of courage. You make things happen and I love it.
Happy New Year!! And have a blast in Canada.

Steve Stenzel said...

I love your dreams! And Costa Rica to Canada?!? That's ROUGH!!! ;)

TriMark said...

Bree.. make that dream a reality...bet you never thought you'd be living the life you are now???? go for it...you truly inspire me.

Molly said...

Bree, I hope the new year brings you every opportunity to make your dreams come true!

Chris said...

Follow your dream Bree and make it happen! You turned many other dreams into reality, so this one is next!

Jamie said...

That is awesome Bree! It sound like you have your dream pretty well planned out, so I have full faith that you can make it happen in 2010.

I knew that you used to teach, but didn't know that they were with mission trips. Cool beans.

Don't pack so light for Canada as you did for Costa Rica. It is cold up there!

Trigirlpink said...

Life's too short. Gotta go with your gut feeling. You can make anything work. Best of luck planning things out. Sounds exciting!!!

Charisa said...

Love your dream - sounds good! :)

FatDad said...

Dream Big! Your courage is inspiring.
Have fun in our beautiful country. Dont forget to bring your toque for when you're wandering aboot.

Beth said...

I'll be cheering for you Bree...as I watch you achieve dream after dream...because I know you will!! Sounds like a beautiful dream to me. Thanks for the reminder to keep dreaming!! And for now - enjoy Canada and stay warm! :)

TB said...

I love Costa Rica!!!

I just had a friend down in CR...her name is BC..

You two would get along. She's going back down there in a few months, I'll have to make sure and introduce you to her...

Great dream!!!

m3n3hun3 said...

Bree - you can DO it! I have no doubt.

A couple of years ago I had a DREAM to create an organization that would allow "everyday" athletes to train and raise funds for humanitarian causes.

Well, that dream has materialized into the creation of Train for Humanity (trainforhumanity.org). And we are just wrapping up phase one with ALL proceeds going to Darfur Peace & Development to help assist refugees and orphans who've been affected by genocide.

Looking forward to reading about the progression of your dream. :)

Shan said...

You only live once, so dreaming big is the only way to go! I'll be cheering for you the whole way!!! :) Happy New Year, Bree and Kainoa!!!

tinaparker87 said...

Why not dream and do it!

Go Gammie said...

Happy New Year Bree!!! I agree with the others that said if anyone can dream and follow through, you are the one that can do it!!!
BTW, the snow is melting for you, so you can run without snowshoes while at training camp.

beth said...

have fun in canada - DONT FREEZE!!! hope your costa dreams keep you nice and warm. Happy New Year!

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I like to dream, too (when I have the time, which is hard to come by), so never think you are getting too old for that! There is nothing unusual in what you wrote, and now that you have written it, I hope you will persevere with it and make it a reality. And don't forget your sister. She may have similar dreams, too!
Have a safe trip to Canada and just make sure you are ready for the drop in temperature.

TICA MACHA said...

Dreams do come true. I'm living mine in Costa Rica. It will be great when you join us.
You are so very right, the kids need you and your teaching skills here. Teri

Chad Holderbaum said...

I'm sure if you put your mind to it, it'll happen Bree. The world needs more good people like you! Best of luck to you in 2009 and Happy New Year!

Damie said...

Thought of you- go see Benjamin Button. There is the love story theme, but also one of how life is made up of the opportunities we take- or don't take. You can read the movie in so many ways- I think you will like it. After watching it I think you will be packed up and in Costa Rica in no time!

Leah said...

I think that sounds like a fantastic dream! Happy new year!

Runner Leana said...

It sounds like a wonderful dream! Best of luck Bree, and I hope you have a wonderful 2009!

Wes said...

A worthy dream! Happy New Years Kainoa and Bree!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Great post! I can feel the real you coming back! :) I am so glad you had a super time on vacation! :) And, if you can't make yourself happy, no one will!
HAPPY New Year!

Ordinarylife said...

go for it!