Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bombs Away!


Finally got to shake out the cobwebs... actually yesterday on the group ride they flew out after getting dropped like a bad habit! (I wasn't planning to ride bike till the new bike got here, Rachel and I had a deal... if she swims (she took 3 or 5 months off), then I would ride)...Nothing like getting back into the swing of things. Adding a little intensity and feeling some explosive lungs never felt so good!

This morning was the first local race of the 2009 season. It was so good to be back around all the local athletes, playing in the Pacific Ocean, and of course getting an idea where the body is at...

Taking an extra long off-season did me good. I was so ready to race again even if it was just a fun local event (those are my favorite). Getting smashed and trashed by the high school super swimmers got the morning underway (those kids sure can swim and never cease to amaze me!) About the time we hit the half way point of the swim I was thanking coach Paul for the swim camp, surviving that helped make this open water wonderland a piece of cake! Time for the run... after a very LONG run break and the sprained ankle my heart was pounding to get moving...

My run was 33 seconds faster than last season on the same course so I'll claim it. Maybe it's the shoes. They had neon pink laces that Kainoa laced himself!

Kainoa modeling his AWESOME shoe lacing job! Yes, I did race them like that!



After the race we made time for sand castles and searching for honu & a'ama...
It sure is good to be back to the WARM island!

E malama pono!
(Take care & be well!)

.

19 comments:

Go Gammie said...

Way to start off the season Bree!!! I am glad for you that the hard work at training camp is going to be paying great dividends for you this year. I am sure you have the youngest and cutest person on your crew helping with your shoes and race gear :) Have a great week,,, oh ya,,, more snow on the Island, but I think Victoria may have missed out ?

rr said...

Hey I only took 3 mos off! ;) Nice job superstar.. already running faster than last year?? Awesome.

Welcome back. :) And nice pink laces!

MJ said...

sweet cannonball. I like that Kainoa's glancing over the shoulder to critique it....

Those local races are awesome - you're lucky to have them. We had a blast at the one we were there for...

Cheers,

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Excellent laces! Yep, those high schoolers really swim fast, don't they!?! Hooray to the start of a GREAT season for you - you're going to ROCK!

ADC said...

Nice job Bree!

Ordinarylife said...

Well done!

t-odd said...

It was race weekend here, too. Yours looked warm and tropical, mine was not. Your pit crew has got the speed lacing down. See what he can do with that new ride of yours.

Good work!

TICA MACHA said...

Love the photos and the pink laces!

Kona Shelley said...

As usual..you rock!

TriGirl Kate O said...

That faster time was totally the new lace up job! Welcome home.

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh, I so wish I was back there! (30-40 deg temps here in Central FL -- Brrrrr!)

Jill Costantino said...

Woohoo - great job!

And nice job to Kainoa on the laces....fast laces, fast laces!!!

IAN said...

Races in January make even a So. Cal-er jealous.

Trigirlpink said...

Welcome home! Nice Steed. Thanks for checkin' in and send me those laces! (just kidding!)
xx
e

Charisa said...

sounds like a pretty fantastic weekend!

Jen said...

Nice job, my friend! Kainoa is too cute!

Swimming for ME said...

That's Karlyn! She just did a clinic in Maine and she was great. I learned a lot. I'm still working on my stroke and hoping someday I'll make it to Hawaii for a week long clinic. :)

Looks like a fun time with Kainoa!

beth said...

just catching up on all the great things going on over here on bree wee life!!
1) Kainoa is SOOO big and so cute...such a real little man he is becoming. and seriously he can probably fix a bike and pump tires better than i can.

2) way to jump right back in...nice work your run..this season is starting off great. nothing like wiping off 2008 with a fresh start (new bike, new kicks...you got it!)

hope you are having a great week at the office! xoxo, b

CoachLiz said...

Cool! You have those sweet K Swiss shoes. The neon pink laces really add to them as does the lacing job.