Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday...

Yesterday was the LONGEST swim of my entire swimming life...

6k. Not joking. 6,000 meters at ONE time. The main set was 10x400. I am not complaining, just stating the facts. Training camps are for one thing and one thing only... to work so hard that you are faced with a couple choices: die (not really but it feels like you are slowly facing death), give up and go home, or make it out alive & end up better off than where you started.

Today was a run and 2 swims. I am finding that the more clothes you wear the easier the runs are... so dressed like an Eskimo I am learning to enjoy cold-running. Not every workout is a killer. Tonight's swim Coach Lance tried to make "fun". He had us doing some drafting drills, some races for buoys, and some weird back/free/back/free drill that I am sure looked like I was drowning (but he swears it has a purpose). I quit questioning him and decided to just trust...

Today my mission was to "prepare for 09". Coach Dan was trying to get me savvy with the SRM (considering it is on my bike, I am going to learn to look at it and read it). Honestly, I just like to train and race. However all these nifty inventions and gadgets are helpful in taking sport to the next level so I am trying to "embrace them". It is not easy for me... I still can't even do the "B" drill when we run!! Using a HR monitor or SRM is like 500x more challenging than any B drill.

I also had a meeting with coach. Turns out my attitude stinks. Not really, but I am a professional and I have yet to learn exactly what "professional" means. Like any job there are good days & bad days and I have yet to accept that bad days come with the job and I need to "suck it up princess".

After all the "business stuff" like learning my gadgets, meetings, and finding out some cool sponsor stuff about to happen I read a lot of magazines. Being in Canada I got to read all the Simon Whitfield interviews & the Kirsten Sweetland stories, & the Kathy Trembley reflection on her Olympic experience. I LOVE how much Canada supports it's athletes and the pride they have in the sport. Each of these athletes all possesed this quality that they are just nonstop chasing something and their fire and passion was so entertaining.

Well, it is LATE and tomorrow is a long hilly run, a long swim, and then a bike ride. Maybe I should sleep so I can keep up with all my team mates kicking my bum!

Happy training... and if you are in the mood for a workout try that 10x400, it feels really good on the arms!

.

20 comments:

Dolphin Boy said...

Stay warm at Lifesupport Training Cramp!! LOL!!

Penguin Princess

Ordinarylife said...

Uhmm, I think I might just skip that swim if you don't mind?

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

I'll definitely try that 10 x 400m when the water gets warmer. Yesterday I managed a fairly nifty 1,000m in 61F water. Well, it was worth it just to say I had done it, but I really want the water and weather to get better so that I can do some real training. Anyway, suck it up, and the extra discipline will pay off in better performances later.

rr said...

I would DROWN doing 10 x 400. I think your attitude rocks, Wee.. so keep up the happy positive love for life!

Say hi to coach P for me. Tell him I haven't swam in 3 months. He'll be so proud >:)

ADC said...

What is a B drill??? I wish all pro's attitudes are like yours.

MJ said...

If you give up on that SRM my address is..... just kidding.

Sounds like you are having a good time over there and 10x400 sounds like SO much fun.

Keep up the good work!

beth said...

bree! i am really proud of you. i keep thinking of this hawaii girl who likes to go with the flow. and she's away in freaking cold ass canada doing ridiculous things and being asked to change in lots of ways (in order to grow, of course!)...BUT, just wanted to let you know that i can see how hard this all must be, i am veryu proud, and i can't wait to see this dedication pay off all year long for you!
sending warm vibes from sd, beth

Julie said...

You realize that giving us Canucks a compliment --- no matter how small -- is the quickest way to get an honorary citizenship? LOL!


Way to grind out that swimming set -- Woohoo! :) :)

Charisa said...

Hang in there! You'll come out stronger in the end :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Way to go on the swim set. :) That one had to feel 'great'! Oh - and the free back free back - yeah, that would be tough. Something about trying to not get motion sickness (not very conducive to training). But you're doing it - hang in there! This WILL make you stronger! And in the end, that's a pretty scary thought! Stay WARM! (PS - its warmer in SD than FL... high today is 85!)

Eileen Swanson said...

Thanks for the LONG comment Bree ;-) LOL! Love how hard you guys are working and glad I'm not there to feel the pain, HAHA, just kidding, it would be fun again ;-) Congrats on the swim set, ouch! Tell Janet and Sammy that I miss them tons please ;-) Miss you too!

Audrey said...

Bree- I am so jealous of your triathlon camp in Victoria... If only I could be 1/2 as good as the bunch of you, maybe I would get an invite from the coaches to come down to play! But I am not a "top" age grouper! Maybe you could beg coach Paul to let you do some cross training and come play with me up at Mount Washington in the sunny warm snow! Check out my last two blog pic's! I could teach you to skate ski! You would rock for sure!!! Happy camping!! Keep up the excellent work!

Jill Costantino said...

You still have arms???

I'm with you on the gaget stuff! I only ready my HR and don't even know how to do the real avg. Too much to think about!

I love reading your blog - you are sooo candid!
Cheers Chickeeta!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

"suck it up princess"

Ha, classic motivational technique. Or not.

Princess is a good thing in my book. I'm the *Princess of Quite A Lot*

L1z4 said...

Vancouver Island is my paradise. I'd rather live in Canada than any other country in the world, IMHO. This training camp has you all sequestered with blinders on, you just can't see what Victoria and the island has to offer, and that's so sad.

Tell your coach to take you to these places; Mt. Washington, Tofino, Cathedral Grove, Botanical Beach, diving off Denman Island to see the rare six gill sharks... Telegraph Cove... This island has a lot to offer, it's not all just a big pool, a room with fans and bike trainers, and snowy streets, and one little beach.

Bob Almighty said...

Well a little tip from growing up running in the Frozen Tundra ( CT where 60's F in May are abnormally warm weather.) It's not how many layers you put on as the quality of the layers. Cotton kills! microfiber fleece is good for when it's really cold like single digits and polypropolene base layers and lycra tights or wind pants are good for those 20-35F degree days those moisture wicking shirts are your best bets for base layers along with a windproof shell.. Hats gloves and warm socks are a necessity when the temperature drops below 40.also those little toe warmers they sell at ski shops and dollar stores are really awesome...sorry just thought I'd share some cold weather taining advice, sounds like camp's a blast.

The Artic Warrior.

Ange said...

I love hearing about this trip from you. It's so inspiring to hear about all that you guys do. I would love to tag along for a day. I'm sure that's about all I could get through!
How long are you there for?

Haley Cooper said...

ARG. I'm missing it. Still sitting around waiting for a passport that has now spent 6 days in Seattle. And yet, I'm not able to pick it up myself. Maybe I should stop hating UPS and get on my trainer. I just don't know that I'll be able to survive 2 hours without comraderie. Don't have too much fun without me!

Shan said...

Ehhh 10x400 might quite possibly kill me...FUN times!

Wow, reading your Canada training camp entries is very inspiring, Bree! I would be a super crab-face after all those workouts in one day, day after day, and you'd probably find me passed out in the corner. So muchos props to you for pounding it all out!

Go go go!! :)

ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, just catching up with all that's been going on with you and this one has got me shaking like a leaf!!

I can't imagine swimming 6K. You make me glad I'm not a pro :-) Keep up the awesome work!