Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Testing...

Vo2 Test...

5:15am came VERY early this morning! Back at the pool for a solid 5k swim. The long course meters finally don't look so long (they still feel long). To make it "mentally manageable" I am just pretending it is ocean swimming (since there are fewer walls than a short course yards pool). My little trick helped a lot and only one arm fell off at practice.

4hours later ANOTHER swim practice! This was only 3,000 meters, but enough to make my second arm fall off. I must confess, it is really fun though. Just knowing the body can handle such a load and reach another limit is pretty fun to explore. The company helps...and having a few coaches on deck telling you to hold it together certainly helps too.

30 minutes after the second swim it was time for a test. A vo2 test on the bike. I always read and hear about all this testing stuff but never have had mine tested and knew little (if anything) about it. After having my nose plugged and a tube sucking my oxygen with every breath it was time to suffer... not sure why but I thought these tests would just prick your finger for blood then give you a number.

Align CenterThe Olympian Lisa showing us how it's done!

Chris just before hitting 556 watts!!


Katya warming up...

Ouch!

You have to pedal, then they add watts, you hold a specific cadence for 3 minutes (if you can), and if you can they add more watts, hold 3 minutes (if you can) and repeat for as long as you can push the watts with a certain cadence. It hurt WAY worse than the little finger poke I thought it was.

An hour later test #2. A complete time trial. 4 minutes all out with coach screaming in your face. Thankfully Katya was around for my test, she is pretty darn hilarious yet encouraging at the same time (just what I needed as snot was wanting to fly but my darn nose was plugged and I was suffocating with the tube in my mouth).

Now that my legs and arms are trashed (oh, include a 40 minute run in there too) it has been a LONG successful day. One rewarded with fresh caught crab!!! AND I did ask Marsha to share the wonderful salmon soup recipe... Bruce responded with, "first go catch the salmon, then can it, once you got that done I will give you the rest of the recipe". Hope that helps...


The lovely Bruce & Marsha Regensburg

Off to bed now. My eyelids are barely staying up and my pillow is calling!

.

19 comments:

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

50 meter pools are a lot better. Maybe slower, but at least you don't have to turn so much and it's a lot easier to count laps, too. And where I swim I don't have to share lanes, as there are so few of us we always have at least one each, and quite often the whole pool to myself. The only problem at the moment I guess is that the water is in the mid-60's, but at least we can smell the fresh air rather than the chlorine. Take care. You are no doubt tired and a little susceptible to a cold, etc. Don't overdo it. It's worth it being there just for the good food.

Ordinarylife said...

Ouch, ouch, ouch - that looks painful!

Ok, so I have caught the salmon..... now what?
(Uhmmm, do we actually even get salmon in South Africa - I don't think so)

ADC said...

I've done my tests only once last year and it hurt. Hope I won't have to do it again. Oh my God, that is some monster swimming. Well done girl. Keep up the great work.

Chris said...

So... what the score? (from the test)
Hope that by the time you get home, you get the salmon recipe :-)

Damie said...

that sounds soooooo awesome! you can handle anything if you can handle these camps! that crab looks amazing too- nothing in the world like fresh seafood- I sure do miss nola for that.

Natalie said...

Camp sounds brutal! If you can get through this, your races should seem easy!

It's a good thing they feed you so well...gives you something to look forward to. My mouth waters just reading about it!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Go Bree Go! This is a level of training that mere mortals (me) cannot even imagine. Seriously? Your body can do all that in a SINGLE day? Clearly I'm a lightweight. Be strong!

Jill Costantino said...

Wow - what a day! Way to hang in there for all of it. It's great when you have good people around you to support you.

I love how Marsha will only share the soup recipe once you catch your own. I think you should catch one today (in all of your free time) and then share with the rest of us.

Get some good rest!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

And I thought my workout was hard!!!! :)

Great job, you really are inspiration to a lot of us.

Charisa said...

Love that they are fixing you nice meals after all your hard work! :)

Viv said...

Hi Bree a belated happy new year! Ls like Costa Rica was everything you were looking forward to awesome!

Training camp looks super intense. It is nice to see how the hard core athletes train. Get that rest when you can :)

Jen said...

I am tired just reading about it. You are tough!
Keep up the good work, Bree. This is the beginning of an awesome season to come!!

beth said...

wow. just catching up and i feel like i got in a workout just reading all this workout craziness. you guys are on another level. its awesome.
say hi to katya for me!

Bob Almighty said...

5k swim practice in long course meters... man I'm jealous..sorry the former swimmer side of me breaks out occasionally...the VO2 Max test looks painful ( maybe from the look of glee on your coach's face.) but from what I hear from a few of my friends who coach it's totally worth it. Rest well and don't eat too much of that wonderful food other wise they might be skimming you out of the pool ;)

E.L.F. said...

Next time skip all those workouts and go straight to the soup.

Sounds like a blast. Did you do the run VO2 test yet? Is that next? Don't eat soup before that. There ain't much room in the mask :)

D said...

What you need is a good Canadian kid to help you with that Salmon. It's not as tough to catch one as they might lead you to believe ;)

sbrtv said...

I'm with Chris. So what are your numbers?!

I have to know where I have to get so I can keep you in my sights at Rev 3. :-)

rr said...

What a crazy day! You're a star.. say hi to P, Chris, Katya for me.. how fun!

Enjoy wee, you're just getting faster and stronger.. xo- rach

CoachLiz said...

Ugh! I remember having to breathe through that dang hose. Painful may be an understatement. I just remember all of the drool and a bucket full of saliva pouring out of my mouth at the end of the test when the hose was pulled out of my mouth. Very pretty, LOL!