Friday, February 20, 2009

Suffering is a choice...


Being the Yogi that I'm not, I went to yoga tonight. One of my favorite people in Kona (Blake) happens to be one of the most respected instructors on the island... he can also run...fast... I took his class in hopes I could gain a little "focus", the kind needed when your brain wants fade from focusing when the going-gets-tuff in a race. (you know what I'm talking about). Sometimes, even though I LOVE swimbikerunning I am challenged with letting my mind wander and drift in and out of focus...

Blake can fix that. For real. It is his specialty, helping put the "focus" and "here and now" back in the "moment".

Much like the start to any yoga class my mind was already day dreaming, actually tonight it was on the stinky yoga mat. The first minute of class Blake gave us a choice. To suffer or not. The choice was ours. Like in running... when it hurts you can suffer or you can slow down.

60 minutes later class was over. It was the first class I did not look at my watch. It felt like I was in a training session on focusing. The mind was engaged the entire time and the body just went along for the ride.



That made me think about swimbikerunning... if my mind was ALWAYS engaged perhaps the body would just go for the ride. At the end of class I got to try out the new focus strategies...

Mind you Blake is a certified, VERY good yoga person. I am clumsy, 2 left feet, and my balance is only good on a bike. Game on...I was more than ready to try out this 2 man handstand (or whatever the name of the pose is). To get my body to get there I just had to keep my mind "focused" on Blakes face and what he said. Within a couple seconds we were up. Then I thought about running. To get the body to be "there" or the finish line, it really is simple. You just have to keep your mind on the finish line and have a few cues to get you there... hear your cues over and over and over. Ignore the pain and suffering, before long you will be there...



I'm not sure yoga saved me from all my lack-of-focus-moments, but one thing is for sure if the lessons he taught us in class can get me into that move my brain just might make it through a race with a bit less day dreaming...

Now find a friend and try that move...

.

18 comments:

Kiet said...

Bree, yoga is a total cult here in SF. There are classes with 100+ peeps and all of them are doing handstands for 10 minutes at will. And lotus tattoos are a dime a dozen. What you're doing looks a bit like AcroYoga, the latest rage. As I hear at the beginning of every yoga class, "Quiet the mind."

Marni said...

Those are great pics! He looks like a great teacher. My problem is like yours..my mind wanders and I always look at the clock. I will try to go to yoga more often. :)
-marn

Train-This said...

Bree it's like I am watching you totally grow into yourself this season. Like you are finding your feet and finding your ground and finding Authentic Bree. This is absolutley beautiful. I am so honored to come along for this ride!

:-) Mary

Jen said...

I will not be trying that move, I will end up with a broken neck! I am clumsy!!
My mind is all over the place most of the time!
Sounds like fun!

Speed Racer said...

This was EXACTLY what I needed to read today. Thank you so much.

Missy said...

I'd be hospitalized with a broken neck. Sheesh. That rocks. I'm usually focusing on the grocery list or what needs to be done at the house, rather than the task at hand!

Jill Costantino said...

Nice handstand Chickeeta!

Ange said...

I can't even fathom how you got IN that pose!!! Unreal. You should have seen my son's face when I showed him. First he said, "ohh cooool..." and then his face contorted in a "how'd she do that?" look.
I'm impressed.

Teresa said...

I can only imagine the head rush you had from getting up from the handstand! Way to stay focused!

beth said...

blake sounds like the perfect teacher for you. and those handstands? incredible! that looks SOOO cool! happy yoga-ing :)

Jenna said...

I like what Train-This said above... you are growing in many ways ;) I can see that just from the time I have started creeping your blog. Growth is always a good thing... remember what i said a while back about the pieces of the puzzle - never fits back quite the same way yet can be extraordinary in its own right!

Thanks for the offer of the seaweed but I did actually manage to find some in the store in the middle of the frozen tundra. Loved your time predictions too ...tee hee.

rr said...

Sheesh, those are some crazy poses! Only you could make yoga that fun, I find it too slow.. I guess I need some of that focus :)

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

INCREDIBLE!!! You are amazing Bree! I love what Mary Eggers said - so true. You are going to have a great season - thanks for sharing! Beautiful pose! :)

Coach Liz said...

Cool pose! I would do it if it would not be so painful on my wrist where I have developed a ganglion cyct over the past few weeks.

Now finding a partner...I might have to do it with the wall. Lol.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I hope you do that yoga pose at the finish line - after you win a race this year - now that would really be impressive! Just focus :-)... I wouldn't put it pass you being able to do it as well...

Chris said...

And I still have nooo clue what you were trying to do in those pics...

ace said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, from looking at your pics here, I think you are right. I would love experiencing a class like that!!! Plus I'd be in Hawaii so, that would put things in a completely different galaxy as far as "cool factors" are concerned ;).

I really liked your take on focus and where the body goes with that. I've been finding since I started exploring yoga more, my runs and bikes have a different quality altogether. I used to run from a space of what I could call supreme effort. Now I'm finding speed in ease. Totally different experience based on what I choose to focus on these days. Anyway, I think I'll take your advice. Come to Hawaii and take yoga class from Blake! That is such a great idea :D

sabina moon said...

This blog site is pretty good! How was it made . I view something genuinely interesting about your site so I saved to my bookmarks . You can visit my site.
tips for triathlon