Monday, February 16, 2009

A Swift Kick...


My grandma always used to tell me, "BreeAnne you need a good swift kick in the ass". It was weird to hear that, never liked the name BreeAnne and a grandma cussing was funny to me... but a swift kick in the ass... TODAY it made sense.

I got a good kick in the @$ and it was what I needed. That Great Aloha Run race number is now hanging on my fridge as a reminder of getting my @$ kicked. Last year I was 3 whole minutes and some seconds faster! I did the only thing I knew to do after crossing the finish line...
Call my coach...

Before he even said a word I had to let him know I was READY to run. I worked so hard, went to bed early, ate well, all the good stuff... instantly I was in defense mode. Sure to him it was a "D" race but to me EVERY race, local or not, is a race and I show up to do my best, whatever my best is on that day...

Clearly I knew last year, that nice little 47 something I ran at 5:53 pace would be hard to top, BUT 3 minutes off...this was new to me...3 minutes is a lot...

Coach confessed he knew it would be hard and being sick then out with the sprained ankle for a couple weeks did not help... BUT that is CRAPOLA to me and I told him that. I needed a reason, not an excuse for that ugly run. I want to learn from this, grow from this, and understand this...

EXPLAIN it to me...

It boiled down to this time last year I was in PEAK shape... I was in the best fitness of my life, preparing for Ironman Japan and ready to race. This season I am not peaking early. There is no need for me to be "race fit" this early in the season. It started to make sense but I still was sad and upset and frustrated. The conversation went on... a season of racing is LONG and the body can not sustain top fitness ALL season long. You can only be at your best a couple times a year and the other times you just do your best hoping for the best.

It was a hard lesson to learn, a lesson in patience. February, a run race, is not the time of year my body needs to be "on". What a lesson. After the race I talked to Tim Marr. Local Hawaii boy who was 15th in Kona last year. He told me his race was not-so-good. I asked if he was mad, I wanted to know if he felt like I felt... He is preparing for Ironman China, in April, and it boiled down to wishing the run was faster because he knows he is a better runner than that, but he knows China is where it will count, not a run race in February.

These seasoned pros sure are teaching me a thing or 2 about patience in peaking. Then I got to hear the story of the great Peter Reid. He would come in 25th or so in local run races early in the season and 9th or so in Wild Flower as an early race, but come Kona, he would win. He learned when to be "ready to race" and when to use a race to get ready...

This race I am going to use to "get ready" to race. It was so humbling and so motivating. Patience. Patience. Patience.

After the run I did what any girl on an island would do... go to the beach to splash away the pain or lesson in patience...

Then I went to the hotel to back my bags. I discovered the most hilarious thing I have EVER seen... I looked over the balcony and saw a bajillion tourists from who-knows-where ALL laying at a pool in Hawaii! Why in the world would they be at a pool (I am sure there are pools in their state), when the beach is a 30 second walk from the hotel... it made me laugh. And with that laughter I found a beautiful balance for my day...

Take my job seriously but not myself...

I laughed some more... then more... then I took a foto so you can laugh too...

Please ZOOM in by clicking the foto, it is soooooooo funny! Laugh out loud, it feels good!

.

33 comments:

bart said...

hahahaaa.... That picture is sooo funny. The army of sunbathers... Actually I've just downloaded it as my new desktop wallpaper.

About the race: so now you know there's still room for improvement - good luck with that.

D said...

Take note: they are ALL old! I will have you know that I did not once sit beside the pool when I was in Kona. Of course, I did a lot of hiding out cuz it was too hot for this Canadiana haha.
Speaking of Canada... like that Melindi represented! WOO! :)

Mine was a D race too. Too bad I didn't get there. Or to work today. And probably not tomorrow either. I wish I could sleep. Now I'm rambling.

ADC said...

You are right, you really need to zoom in -it is funny. They could do that in their back-garden. Don't worry about the race, as coach said you cannot be super-fit all year round and this is just to make sure that you are when it matters.

FLATOUT JIM said...

We were in Dominican last year, and you couldn't fine a spot by the pool, but there was a ton of room on the beach. PLUS there was no lineup at the beach bar. Go Figure!

Beth said...

That photo is funny Bree - why...WHY?? :) Anyway, I'm sorry your run wasn't what you wanted. I struggle with that same thing - wanting to be ON and FAST ALL season long...but, it will be much, much sweeter for your run to be on in October than now! Anyway, hope you still had fun and safe travels home!

Chloe said...

Ah! Snowbirds! Have to love them :). They are a funny crew!

Don't stress about the race! It's just the start of the season - peaking now would probably not be the best.

Ok. It's 5:30am - I need to get on the trainer.

Chloe

MadisonDuo said...

The guy in the khaki shorts cracks me up in the pic...I am not sure that is the best position to lay out in - his 'man-bits' may fall out.

Who suns their buns in the flamingo position anyhow?

Your body is simply getting ready for your lil race that is coming up in October :)

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

It was still a good performance, given your plans for this year. Last year you did a lot of amazing stuff, but in many ways it often did not happen at the right time. There are obviously times when you just have to back off, like I didn't swim yesterday but swam better today, etc. Unfortunately, I'm not bionic, so I have to take it easy now and then. Hope you have a couple of really good races this year when it counts! I look forward to staying up all night to watch your progress!

BriGaal said...

I think for most of us it is hard to not be a little upset in the early season when you aren't as fast, it's so difficult to have that patience! I'm always comparing myself to years past and it's not fair to do that.

Also, I have never liked the name Brianne, either! My family calls me Annie and my friends call me Bri. Only people who don't know me call me Brianne, and I usually try to change that quick :)

TB said...

Are there any good surf shops over there?

Bob Spory said...

Well, sand sticks to you? Yuck.

dpc said...

Great post, Bree. That patience is a hard one to learn! I just want to kick every run right in the teeth, which I have learned is a blunt instrument for training and short cut to injury. Gotta plan the run and run the plan!

t-odd said...

Oh, the "D" race. When I was in college, we always had a swim meet in the middle of our two week taper. I ALWAYS, felt like hell and swam the same. It bummed me out - every year. Until, my senior year when I realized, that is what is supposed to happen. Feel terrible mid-way through - feel great when it counts. I actually use feeling terrible mid-way through my taper as a gauge. And, yeah vacation at the beach - sit by the pool, what a waste. First thing I do - feet in the sand - dive in the ocean - run on the beach.

Ange said...

Hey Bree, this is all good for me to hear too. I have had one of those races a few weeks ago too..had to remember all that you said. IT's not TIme yet!! Ugh. still hurts. But it's key to remember.
re: the tourists at the pool. Always cracks me up too. They say they don't like sand in their feet and all over stuff and the salt in the ocean. go figure. I'm with ya on this one!

Katie D said...

Bree, I have been reading your blog for some time now and it is just great! I love hearing about your training and all the amusing little things in you days....keep up the good work!

Natalie said...

It's both a blessing and a curse to be so competitive! You have a good coach...I think he actually knows you very well and exactly how you are going to both perform and react! He's a great match for you! Good luck in your upcoming training camp!

Laura said...

That's a fantastic picture! I never did understand why you would put a pool at the beach. It does come in handy when it's cold by the water though, as I've seen at Gulf Coast many times. But Hawaii?!?!

Thanks for reminding us not every race can be a PR! :)

Kiet said...

Hey Bree, it's been awhile since I've commented but no worries, I'm still a fan. D race? I had no idea that there could be a race with such low priority, and I guess so did you.

Cricket said...

Oh My Gosh that is so funny and true! We had these customers last week that were freaking out cuz the pool wasn't hot enough for them to swim- We had a "cold spell" here. Paul suggested a bunch of beaches to go see- The Wisconsin Woman said- " I came to float in a pool not walk the beach!"
Crazy people out there!
Back to your race- Congrats your time was still awesome! You're maturing into a trained professional- Growing Pains!
Love You- Cricket

Jill Costantino said...

That pic looks like a bunch of people lying in a parking lot of lawn chairs!!!!

Sorry your race was not what you wanted it to be, but your coach I think has a point. You will be phenominal for KONA!!!

Damie said...

Bree...
totally understandable. I struggled so much with the same thing last year- not understanding why I couldn't just stay in top shape. I still struggle with it, but I am trying to do a better job learning from it now. :) Proud of you:)

rr said...

Hey, way to gut it out on a hard day - you looked really strong and I know you were sick too!

Waikiki is ICKY. Next time I'm taking you to Magnums in Waimanalo!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Hey, what a great lesson to learn - albeit tough. Sounds like you're embracing it!

Those tourists are sad/funny. Ah life.

Train-This said...

This run will but a memory when you hit the races you are suppoused to hit when you are suppoused to. There is a grand plan here Bree! You can't win every single race..... but when you are crowned THE world champion the only memory of this race will be that it reminded you to trust your plan.

:-) Mary

Michelle said...

LOL at the pool shot. We take our family vacation every year at the Outer Banks of NC, and all the new huge houses that are going up oceanside have pools. These are OCEAN FRONT homes - you walk FEET to the beach/ocean. It makes no sense to me at all. People are weird. :)

I love the race lesson. I know that deep down, and can actually talk to others who are worried about non-A, "prep" races, but when it comes to myself, ha. Logic goes out the window!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

You gotta love grandparents, they tell it how it is and they dont sugarcoat it!!!

Jenna said...

LOL... love the pool shot :) and Grannies are wise!! Patience pays great dividends and allows you the time to reflect a bit on things increasing the lessons you need to learn as you move forward!

IAN said...

This is the same lesson I am struggling with this year. With my race schedule I am realizing that every race won't be my best performance. Nice to hear someone as talented as you and other pros strugle with it as well. I am like you though, even in a "D" race I want to charge. That's why I am still undecided on Lavaman. Good to see it didn't tarnish your sense of humor :)

Jen said...

It really IS funny! We would have been in tears.

Haley Cooper said...

I know that you claim to have been ready to race, but you also described a series of arse-kicking workouts last week. Peaked or not, I imagine that would have left you a bit spent. Tide pools can only be so restorative after all. No worries- you'll come right.

Ordinarylife said...

thank you for the laugh, that pool shot is so funny.

And well done on a lesson learnt (and sharing it with us).

beth said...

awesome race, bree! sounds like a tough one where you learned a lot!
the pool photo is hilarious...good one!

Kim said...

This is a hard lesson for all of us and one we have to continue to learn time and time again - so you're not the only one! Trust yourself, trust the training and know that when the day comes, you'll be ready missy!! I know you will! Great job on a tough run and thanks for the picture! That was funny and I can gurentee you will NEVER catch me at a pool when the beach is that close.. EVER!!