Friday, March 13, 2009

23 Splish Suits and an IV Later...

It was a tuff thing to do. All the memories of chlorinated dreams come true and tears at the pool. Ocean swims and floats with dolphins and whales. Japan, Canada, St. Croix, Costa Rica, Florida, and Kentucky. Those suits were more than bright pretty colors, they went around the world with me...

As 2009 brought in some amazing new supporters I made the deal to "support" them back. And I want to. It was time to do something no girl enjoys doing... giving away her last season Splish suits. The selfish thought of saving my IM Japan suit (because I think it's the most fun race EVER) crossed my mind. St. Croix was cool because I got to play/race with Carfrae and Kraft, I was tempted to hang on to that suit too. It soon boiled down to the fact that some of the companies on those suits were no longer my supporters (even though I still feel so thankful for my time with them) and sitting in a closet is not the best place for a suit to save memories. It was time. Time to give them to some girls who swim more laps in a week than I swim in a month.

23 Splish Suits loaded with amazing memories are now collecting pool time with Kona Aquatics age groupers and I could not be MORE HAPPY! Those girls make those suits look good!! Thanks girls for giving those suits a good home!

Don't worry... Dawn (the woman in charge at Splish) would never make me skinny dip all my swims. Here's the latest play suits...


Other than that life on the Big Island is BEAUTIFUL! In fact, it has been a vogless, gorgeous, amazing week! Tropical and sunny. So sunny in fact that all my outside workouts, outside adventures with Kainoa, and just life on an island in full swing took it's toll on me. I did something dumb... drank A LOT of water, coconut water, and juice... but once again flushed some electrolytes. At least this time I got it before it got me. My usual fluid/hydration is 57-60%. I was 50% and dizzy this morning. Floated through swim practice and was saved by Doctor Traub! He gave me an IV this afternoon and it is bringing life back into my dehydrated self... I am home now and at 56.3%... ALMOST back to life (or my usual life). Coach said if I am not dizzy tomorrow I can race the local 10k. Fingers crossed I magically undizzy myself!!

The price you pay to live & train in the sun...


Have a good weekend! And as coach told me... "life on an island should be common sense to use electrolytes as much as you breathe". ha ha ha ha... that is hilarious! Bring on the Nuun!


.


20 comments:

Missy said...

That's great. Suits are expensive when you're rolling through so many in a year like those little girlies. I'm sure they were thankful. You OWN those memories and a suit is just a thing.

Maijaleena said...

It's great you could give the girls the suits! They were probably so excited!

Jen said...

The suits are nothing compared to your memories and you did a good thing by giving them to those girls.

Poor Bree, I hope you feel better today!

Cricket said...

If only I could fit in your suits??!**&%- my world would be great! You're awesome and you know those little girls think that is so cool!
Dizzy must run in the family- I've been dizzy on and off all week.
Love you- feel better!

allyson said...

I love the new suits, thats great that you were able to put the old ones to good use. Feel better.

Teresa said...

Love that you "gave back" Those girls must be so happy, of course with all their swimming they will be begging for more in a month! I love the black splish suit! Dizziness be gone and have fun at the 10K!
tn

beth said...

hope the undizziness won and we're about to hear about a fun 10k!
i seriously wish i lived near you just to absorb some of your awesome energy through osmosis..every time i read your blog i get excited and happy!

ShirleyPerly said...

OMG, such a wonderfully clear view of the top of the volcano! I hope it's vogless too when I'm there next month. Can't wait ...

Glad you could find good new homes to the old suits!

kerrie said...

rain gets all of amanda's suits from last season....i'm so jealous but it makes her day. they last a loooooong time!

Go Gammie said...

How nice of you to pass on your suits that hold those memories :) I hope you are feeling better, I actually picked up some Nuun tabs, I guess I better stay on top of it. Missed you at the race, I was so glad for the sprinkle of rain, better than the snow back home.
Get better quick :)

Jill Costantino said...

Wow - nice donation, I'm sure it's greatly appreciated.

Hope you are feeling better and hydrated and have a fantastice race:)

Mama Simmons said...

That's awesome that you guys are getting sun. It's been DUMPING rain over here on Oahu!
I bet those girls were *psyched* to get your suits!! They look like a bunch of little Brees...

skoshi said...

I've been diagnosed with low electrolytes--but I had to do it through a blood test. I'm just wondering how you know when you're "50% hydrated?" And when you're OK. I know I don't take in enough elctrolytes--but how do you know?

Great photo of the girls in the splish suits. Very generous to share those memories. Thanks.

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

23 suits! I guess you only wore them once each since I haven't seen you training in one-piece suits. In Taiwan I can get nice-looking speedos for as little over $10 each, and our outdoor pool has few people and less chlorine, so that the suits last longer. Hope your training for Lavaman is going well.

ADC said...

They look so cute in them.

Sherry said...

What a super wonderful thing to do, Bree! I bet your made their entire week... month!! :o)

Your new suits... LOVE those bright colors! I need to pony up for some Splish. I'm so bored with most main stream tri/swim stuff lately... much of what is out there is just so drab and boring. Of course, trying out new swim suits is as painful as trying out new jeans (for me at least). LOL!

PS- I loved 'chillax' so much that I have officially adopted it. I said it to my hubby the other day and he's like, "where'd ya get that from?" I gave credit where credit is due. :o)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You are such an angel!

Be good to your body my friend.

Rosario said...

Bree
I admire what you do, your spirit, your happiness and your commitment to what you love. Im a single parent of a two year old who loves to train but struggles to find the babysitter or the time to do so.
I enjoyed your trainning tips and all your stories, I love the ability you have of laughing at yourself. It is a great attitude to have in life.
aloha
rosario

rr said...

Those little girls must be so stoked.. and they're adorable in your suits! That was so nice of you.

Get better!!! I bought coconut water today at whole foods.. first time. Thought of you.

CoachLiz said...

I hope you get feeling better fast.

The field trip to the petting zoo looked like a blast. I remember being a chaperone on my son's first field trip to the Houston Zoo. What great memories. You are such a great mommy.

I want that black suit with the squeezed orange and the skull and cross bone. It's the bomb!