Tuesday, March 10, 2009

97...98...99...100!

Today was my first 100 miler of the season. As in 90 miles bike/10 run brick. It was also my first ride with "Juan". Juan is my NEW ROAD BIKE! Here, take a look... almost identical to Antonio, his hot little cousin! (my tri bike). Trust me, today was a GOOD day for a road bike...

The ride went something like this:

30 easy spin, meet up with Jhan, Dave, Kevin, and Tom. That was trouble right from the start. Kevin & Jhan are the "Tuesday Hill Club". They ride this horrible hilly loop every week and drop everyone who attempts to keep up. Kevin gave me the invite Sunday and I said YES! Seriously, it felt like waiting in gym class to be picked for a team...you wait and wait and wait hoping to get picked for the FAST team... finally my name was called! (that's what it felt like).

Minutes 31-38 was a climb that usually takes me 8 minutes (I got a new PR of 7 minutes trying not to get dropped), we drop Dave and are now a group of 4. My heart rate was zone 4 and I was holding on for DEAR LIFE (I wanted to be "picked for the team" again). More climbing, more climbs, a little of this and that and then we meet up with Luis and Jeff. Nice, real nice, now it's 6 guys, all fast guys that like to race and attack and play ruff. Before you know it I am on the back, then off the back, then far back. 90 minutes. I lasted 90 minutes with that group and it was all that I ever imagined...biker boys being biker boys biking hills down in South Kona. It hurt so GOOD and I was pinching myself all 90 minutes that I was with them, just smiling ear to ear...

I still have 65 miles to go and my HR has been maxed out, legs taxed out, left on the side of some hill down south. Adios boys, thanks for the fun...don't get me wrong it was fun...while it lasted...

Up next is a 45min. effort at 1/2 IM pace. Till then I get 20 minutes base pace. CATCH the breath, get the HR back into normal beats per minute, and fuel... I cruise solo through Kainaliu, Holualoa, and a dozen coffee shops. THEN I spot Dave having coffee! How hilarious! We lost him almost 2 hrs ago and there he was at a coffee shop! I stop to refuel the H2O bottles and beg him to keep me company down hill (I really don't do down hill too well).

Down the hill. Dave toasts me. Then he waits up and tells me it's faster to ride down the hill in the drops (that is EXACTLY what I don't want). I get in the darn drops and try to race down a hill that cars can barely get up...my HR was now back in zone 4 (from death gripping my bars). This has been the most crazy ride of my life so far. It started out so FAST and so HILLY and now I just wanted to survive down a darn hill! (a really winding one with a hairpin turn that almost saw me eating lava rocks).




Once the hilly scenic tour is over it is time to get back on track. Adios to Dave... I have 50 miles to go, just Juan and me. My 45 minute 1/2 Iron pace was my best effort and actually enjoyable. I laughed for most of it at how crazy my first 40 miles were. The winds poured on strong and the sun came out stronger... it was Hawaiian cycling the way I like it...


90 miles and 3 minutes later the K-Swiss were on and I was off and running. My last long run off the bike was IM Florida (November) so I was more than eager to get this brick tackled. It was everything long bricks always are... hot (because they start in the afternoon after a long ride), slightly pooped, and during lunch time...

My goal was zone 2, 10 miles in 75 minutes. My legs actually felt pretty good. My brain on the other hand was playing tricks. It flashed back every rotten run off the bike that I endured last season. It replayed the run-stop-fall over-med tent from IM Canada, it replayed the run-barf-walk-run-walk-run from IM KY, it replayed the ENTIRE walk from Longhorn 70.3, it replayed the IM Florida run that was a mental game from aid station to aid station. It was saying things like "go slow", "walk now", "its REALLY hot". Truthfully, the first mile was all legs and no brain. Just a bunch of fear and failures flashing back at me.

I made myself a deal... one mile at a time... do not think "10 miles" or "75 minutes". Just run a mile, then another one, then one more, then another one. Find a way to use those crummy runs from last season as motivation to make this run happen...

Before I knew it I was on mile 4 and enjoying the run. Jeff passes me and honks, I laugh, my HR is in check, I am on pace, life is good. Celebrate those 4 miles and do not think about the next 6 or the 90 miles of biking...

Now half way, turning around and a bit of "holy crap" hits! I am actaully going to make this! I was so excited, I wanted this so bad. No walking, no giving in or giving up... I try to focus on anything but running. Maybe I should have thought about running but to not think on it was helping me run. I watched the surfers. I watched the cars. A scooter kept driving back and forth following me, I watch him. Then he waits on the side of the road and sticks his hand out to stop me, I do a little high-five action (no way was I going to stop for him, good looking surfer boy or not). That gets me laughing. At this point it's whatever it takes to get the last 3 miles done. I am both mixed with eagerness to be done and excitement that I am going to shove those bad-run-memories back to 2008 where they can rot in peace...

As I make the final turn up a little hill to home I close my eyes for a brief second. That may have been the best 10 miles of my life off the bike. Not because it was easy, it was very far from easy, but because those dumb moments of doubt were silenced. 74 minutes and change, zone 2, that one is going in the bank!

And now time to swim! Not a real swim of course! I have to stick with my "balance" theme... I picked Kainoa up from school and we swam together with Weiwei (he lost a tooth).


Kainoas stroke of choice- butterfly! (he gets the swimming ability from his dad). Of course...

And then... the high-light... Kainoa gives me a sea urchin! At first I have NO IDEA what that thing was (sorry son, it's AWESOME). He had so much fun searchin' for urchin's he made me one at school with styrofoam and pipe cleaners! LOVE it!!

That was a long day...

.

28 comments:

jessica rae kirkwood said...

Bree,

Seriously. YOu should write a book. Your training blogs keep me so entertained. I'm not kidding.

I truly think you could sell your training dialogues to people. They'd not only take in your insights on training, the mental aspects of being real about it, but they'd find brightness in all of your humor.

Think about it :)

Ordinarylife said...

The sea urchin is so cute!!!

Well done on the ride/run!

I love hearing about your training. Thanks for posting!

chr15 said...

I love the fact that the sea urchin is by far the highlight of your EPIC day! Kainoa was obviously taken with the Wana.

Your account of the BRICK (OMG I'd surely die if i attempted abrick like that) is awesome. I almost felt like I was there, from struggling to hold on to the South Kona Hillbillys to that bar gripping descent, to the thoughts that go through your (and all our) minds on the run. Thanks for sharing :)

Chr15

PS: The new road bike looks so cool. I have a freind looking at Argon18 for a new road bike, can I ask what model it is?

ADC said...

Well done Bree, great session. Love the new bike, and bike jersey :-) Kainoa will be an amazing swimmer :)

Beth said...

What an awesome day...bike, run, swim and of course...sea urchin! :) Amazing job getting through those last 10 miles Bree!

Flatman said...

A long day indeed, but a great day! Congrats on hanging with the big boys on the hills! :)

I knew it was a sea urchin! :D

chr15 said...

So what is the flag at the top of the post? and why the Union (Jack) flag in the corner?

Marni said...

great pics! what a day you had!

Go Mom Go said...

I don't usually post a comment, but I have to say Wow! I just love to read through your training and how you document your thought process...because that goes through my head too and I am just a regular ol' Age Grouper.

I always have to ask my kids to "tell me" about their art work so that I will actually know what it is. :)

Thanks! Laura

t-odd said...

I love "kid art" (that is a pretty good urchin.) What a great training session. Sounds like the mental fitness it coming along as well as the physical. Keep that up and you will continue to have a great year. (So when do you get the Argon mountain bike and beach cruiser and BMX bike and carbon fiber tricycle for Kainoas? You got some sweet wheels.)

Natalie said...

The treasures our kids bring are the true highlights of life!

Way to hang with the boys! Sounds like a great day of training.

Sherry said...

Wow! Awesome workout! Simply amazing stuff!

A friend of mine is always reminding me to "run the mile you're in." For some reason I seem to always forget this when I'm out there. I should probably try writing it on my arm to reference. ;p

Cute little sea urchin... purple spider... Gotta love kiddos and their crafts. :o)

Damie said...

Bree- what a great workout. I love the way you illustrate your low times- makes the good training days seem even better and I know you appreciate them and work for them just like the next person. So proud of you!!!!! Like you were always saying with Terry Orlnick (name spelling?)...all about the focus...

Liam O'Connell said...

deposit made. gotta love those days.

BreeWee said...

Hi CR15...

I tried to send you a comment but your blog is blocked...

SO, here are your answers in case you check back...

The flag is our state flag, it has 8 stripes to represent the 8 main islands (Hawaii actually has well over 200 islands), 8 main ones. The jack is to celebrate our friendship with Britain. King Kamehameha wanted it there since he was such good pals with the their King... I put it on there because yesterdays ride had me thinking about a friend that died on Queen K, I missed her, the flag is on Queen K, there are actually bunches of them with dolls and surf boards and other things left in the location where people died on that road...

my bikes are: E14 (tri bike) and Gallium (road bike). I absolutely love them like no other, tell your friend if he/she can get their hands on one it will be WELL worth it!

Cheers!

IAN said...

I swear I am straight, but Juan is a good lookin dude. I don't think you quite grasp exactly how jealous you are making me. If I wasn't going to be there in 3 weeks I don't think I could cope.

Nice jersey too!!

Jenna said...

You do realize that in 50 years when your sweetie's little sea urchin falls out of a keepsake box that you will smile remembering your day on the beach teaching him all about them and how he gifted you for taking the time for him, by taking the time to create something for you :) Very sweet!

Sounds like an awesome day out there for you :) Well done!!

Teresa said...

Love that your outfit matches "Juan". You two look great together! I hear you on the HR being higher on the downhills, I have calluses from always hanging on for dear life!

Great job on the long workout and still having time for the sea urchins!

Mel said...

Hey Bree...what's up sista...Haven't heard from you in a while...miss ya ; (

Ange said...

awesome Bree....just Love the way you tackle your workouts. and that little guy is darling. My littlest (turning 5 tomorrow...) did his first version of butterfly yesterday too. So I love this picture.

kerrie said...

oooooh, i want a sea urchin too! i also wouldn't mind some nice weather so that i could do a 90 mile ride. that's solid.
it may be time for me to come for a visit ;)

Go Gammie said...

Way to break in the new bike Bree!! That is a tough ride I am sure.
I think Kainoa will be a great swimmer after watching your blistering laps today!!! Once again I can vouch for you that you were hard at work!!!! You are an amazing swimmer!!!!!!

chr15 said...

Bree :)

I never realised that my blog was blocked. I do run two blogs one serves as a note pad for a book that I am writing, so I keep that 'private' but I have now hidden that and 'unlocked' the other. I think. Thanks for the heads up.

http://chr15tree.blogspot.com/

I never knew the UK had a 'close' link with Hawaii, or that it had it's own flag. Great pub quiz trivia and interesting stuff!

Sorry to hear about your freind, when I pass flowers/dolls etc at the road side I always think about who they may be there for. And often give a little thanks that "there but for the grace of god..."

I have passed your comments on the bike on to my freind, she is torn between Colnago and Argon, she is driven by image (in the market) and name and hence falling on the side of Colnago, but I'm trying to show her that there maybe better options out there for the money. We'll see. Besides I may be the ni the market for a new TT/Tri bike myself soon so the E14 will be on my list to check out!

Thanks for taking the time to fill me in!

Chr15.

Cricket said...

Oh my gosh you are an animal...or a machine...either way an inspiration!
Kainoa... he is so cute!
I'm happy your life is going so well- Enjoy! Enjoy!

D said...

I've been avoiding your blog (just like you're avoiding mine... *ahem* :P) because you just keep making me want to come out there. Thanks for another post making me want to come out there.

Guess what though... it's sunny & beautiful today!!!! AND -3! Jebus.

Bruce Stewart (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Interesting that you train on a road bike now and then. I may end up buying a road bike, since it isn't easy for me to find my size. I guess it's still a bike and should be good for training.
My swims have been a bit laid back recently - I have a lot of work pressure now with the boys' college plans. 2k is a good swim these days.

beth said...

i love how you tackled the ride/run...it seemed more fun (an hurt) than a chore! i'm mostly impressed you did most of the miles by yourself! seems like you are pretty good at entertaining yourself- i need to get better at that :)

Kiet said...

BREE WEE, YOU ARE SO HK! I so needed this post to inspire me to get my a@@ in gear. How'd you know?