Monday, March 9, 2009

Coach For Sale...

Photo created by Coach Lance Watson

I was busted for hanging out on the beach again... at least I had my bike with me and not my surf board! I've come to the conclusion signing into Training Peaks to record my workouts just so coach can tell me how GREAT my swimming is or how AWESOME that ride was or how INCREDIBLE my run was takes up at least 40 minutes a week of valuable sunshine time! (10-13 training sessions a week x 2-5 minutes for each log out).

Not to mention the phone calls... yes, coach actually calls me to make sure I am on the bike, in the pool, or running (not just laying on a towel on some white sandy beach). That takes up PRECIOUS time too! That can range from a couple minutes (when I say, "gotta go coach", to a LONG talk). That time could be used SINGING to some reggae on a beach somewhere... (of course while running with the IPOD).

If you need someone to make sure you are training away, eating right, helping you with your scheduling and racing please call Lifesport... I am hoping my coach will get tooooooooo busy (Lifesport coaches first timers all the way to pros), that he will forget about me and I can enjoy my days on the island a bit more tropically!!

In other news...DRUM ROLL PLEASE...

I would like to say today was my VERY FIRST successful SOLO pool swim! It started off wonderful. I had my lane mates from Kona Aquatics with me and Coach Steve on deck shouting out send-offs and other swimmery things. But after 3000 yards I was alone. It looked like loads of fun to get out with the rest of the team... but I had 2000 more to go. Most days I jump out too, or I get out after 500 to go get Kainoa, or my stomach growls for breakfast, or I sit on the wall to talk...

Today I busted out my final 2000 ALONE! Take that 5k!! Not really any big deal for anyone else in a Splish suit, but for me it was HUGE! I only like pools if I can share a lane with my team mates and a coach is on deck. Other than that put me back in the ocean. I know, I'm a pool wuss. Why did I finish that? Because I need to shake a bit of this "Aloha" style off my booty and get ready to race!

Everyone thinks living on the Ironman Hawaii course would make for the PERFECT training location, it does! BUT along with the island comes the gentle breeze, aloha, surf, plenty of beaches, everyone skipping work ALL day ALL week when the surf is good, fresh fish, cliff jumping, the rythm of the island soon gets ya. You become more patient, more chill (we chillax here a lot), and soon enough you begin to say, "later, tomorrow, and next time" all from the comfort of a hammock. Those are not 3 words that fit well into a "serious triathletes" plan of attack...

Foto curtosy of West Hawaii Today

No way will I give up the ALOHA in me. NOW, as in (not later, tomorrow, or next time) is the time to get crunchin' though! Yesterday we had a local biathlon...yes, it was chill. Except I pretended it was the Olympics! ha ha, really. I took off with the highschool swimmers that look like fish and tried to out run Luis De Latorre! I was determined to get all four of my miles of the run (after the swim) under 6 minute pace... I got the job done (23:42) thanks to chasing Luis and his 5:20 pace...and it made me realize:

BALANCE is BEAUTIFUL....

A little swimbikerun, more Kainoabeachfun will make for a good year!

Happy balancing!

.


17 comments:

Chloe said...

Congrats on the sweet swim! You showed that 2000 who was boss. Ha!

Oh yes - I think we have 'chillaxing' down to a science here in Sowal. Specially right now with the awesome weather. No wonder I can't function at work - and why the weekends go by so fast!! Ugh!

Happy monday!

L. said...

Hey, Bree, congrats on sticking it out alone. I love the "shake a bit of this 'Aloha' style off" imagery. Too funny!

Teresa said...

Loved that you raced like it was the Olympics..I could picture it now! Awesome run! Admire your balance and your humor in finding and keeping it!
tn

beth said...

holy moly.....4 miles under 6 minutes is insane lady!!! you smoked that Aloha!

now you deserve some kainoabeachfun FOR sure! you are really incredible bree.. and NO WAY i could have stayed in for that extra 2000- that's mental toughness. bet your arms are screaming!
now go find that Aloha- don't let it go -i think that's your secret sauce!

Jill Costantino said...

WOW - that is Ffffaaassstttt! Woohoo!!! Congrats on that and for staying for the extra 2000.
Ummm totally drooling over the activities in paragraph 6!!! It was snowing here today :)

ADC said...

Nice swim - 5 km, woo hoo. Are you still racing Rev3? If so, see you there!

Kona Shelley said...

YOU are such an amazing athlete!
I did 2200 this a.m. and was tired..:-)

Sherry said...

Ahhh... Chillax! I like! I grew up in NJ, but have lived in Southwest, FL for the past 8 years and it's definitely more relaxed down here (I feel all antsy whenever I go home to NJ; too much pressure). Having been to HI once (must go again), I feel ya on the "chill" part. I think that's something that only HI can offer. :o)

CoachLiz said...

Yeah, leave it to the coaches to bust you red handed when the chillax time gets too long. But sometimes that extra rest is needed to crank out a great performance.

Great biathlon photo!

t-odd said...

That is some great swimming. Pool swimming alone is the worst - way to gut it out. That isn't you in the wetsuit in the lower right of that picture, is it? If it is, you need to shake off that aloha a little bit more vigorously. And that is a damn fast run!

t-odd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Lazy Triathlete said...

I just don't think I will be getting in any serious workouts when I visit in May. LOL

SeaCreature said...

you are way too cute "kainoabeachfun'- scrow pow for life!!

MJ said...

The solo pool swim is a real challenge. I always end up doing stupid stuff like trying to break my 25m record... then I get out.

Thank goodness for lanemates and coaches!

allyson said...

Great determination staying in for the extra 2000, being alone in the pool is not fun. Great job in the duathlon. Enjoy your beach time.

Go Gammie said...

Ok, I can vouch for you. I am pretty sure that was you today running on Ali'i Drive? Just incase Coach Paul calls :) Unless you are at training camp, someone running at a much faster pace than normal was out training,,,, not at the beach, yet!!! Ok after the run you were heading to the beach I bet. I can't blame you the beaches are awesome!!!

Karen said...

You and Luis were running so fast when you passed me that you looked like a blur.
It took me a minute to figure out it was you and not a dust bunny BREEzing by.