Thursday, March 19, 2009

Redo!

Not sure where to begin. I got a redo. I'd like to think of it as an "opportunity" to do it again "better". Redo's are no strangers to me. In high school I re-did almost EVERY test. It was that or get a "D" on the report card. Today was a redo. Hoping it will help out my report card (or race day). It loomed over my head all week long. Thursday: LONG BRICK. Ride hill repeats followed by a 60 minute TT zone 3/4 followed by a half marathon, all but the first 30 minutes at race pace into sub race pace.

Monday I was nervous, pits in my stomach. Tuesday I was scared too... Thursday kept getting closer. Wednesday I went into "please someone put 48 hours in today" mode. I saw the facts: LONG BRICK THURSDAY and I faced them, I faced the facts. Infact it made me dislike blogging. If it weren't for my awesome supporters/sponsors I would not be a blogger... but having a website/blog allows ways to endorse/support those that help me and I gotta give back. But I don't like blogging that much, it opens doors of judgement, people get to totally judge you and not all readers are Bob Marley (One Love). It's harsh and being a chick with a pro card makes you feel like you should have your act together, nutrition dialed in, know how to change your tire and fix flats and work on your bike, have pacing nailed, ect. AND I don't have all that figured out. Last weeks LONG BRICK is no exception, I fell on my face with missing my sodium and ended up needing medical help (thank you again DR. Traub). That sucked but maybe my lessons are helping someone somewhere, so again... LONG BRICK and it went WAY better...

I am forgetting about the judgment that comes from having a blog and laying it out there... this time was so good and it was all in the planning. This redo I studied for and I give myself an "A+". This time my lesson learned that I simply must share is this:

YOU MUST PLAN.

Once Wednesday night rolled around and there was no sign of Thursday not coming I got into PLAN of ATTACK mode. I got the bike ready: cleaned it, made sure I had plenty of spares, CO2's, SRM charged, ect (I was not going to let bike mechanicals ruin the day). Pre-long day dinner ready: I made sure to carb up, salt up, hydrate up, ate/drank as if my long day was race day (I was not going to let improper fueling ruin the day). The run stuff ready: Shoes, salts, hydration, gels, clothes that let me run without rashing me (thank you K-Swiss), visor, sunscreen, IPOD (I set up an actual transition and was going to jam through it like race day). Bike nutrition ready: Water bottles full, gels, snacks, $ just incase, salts (it was all calculated, like a Math geek I layed out every single calorie, salt, and carb). Recovery ready: I had premade stuff in the fridge so the instant I get home I can get the muscles swining into recovery mode and refueled. The plan for Thursday was in my head. I got exactly what coach wanted me to accomplish in my mind and ready for execution... pretty much the things I can control I controlled.

Kissed Kainoa good bye, he was off to preschool and mommy off to work. The brick went down like this:

Onto the bike, nice warm up, all sorts of drills and cadence work. To the hills! Steve Crane (local cycling coach) worked with me on riding up and over hills in my bars, in over gears, and making sure I was following Coach Paul's plan (really not happy they teamed up, now that Steve knows what Coach expects of me I have a spy). The hills were all like the "Beast", this was St. Croix 70.3 practice all morning long. Some base riding and fueling up, then time to tackle the time trial. 60 minutes at zone 3/4, time trial position, brave the wind, make it count. This would be my first time seeing this sort of effort on the bike this season. I have had mini fast efforts, but nothing for an entire 60 minutes. I wanted to just hang on Steve's wheel but somehow, something from within took over, and after 4 minutes I was solo into the wind and not looking back... this was dancing on my bike...

Just over 4hrs later I was home. Excited about my ride I jumped off my bike, my legs were not as happy as my head. Nearly stumbling over, every muscle tired, heavy legs, I had 4 minutes to be off and running. There was no time to think about the legs, shoes on, out the door, 30 minutes to build into my race pace. Things always feel a little junky at the get-go, just go and it will get better, it always does.

The first mile was like hell on Earth. Hot, so hot, and 12 more miles in my face. Build. Build. Build. Going out too fast too soon is a weakness of mine. So having 30 minutes felt like a nice, safe spot. By the time 31 minutes rolled around I was on a roll. The legs came outta nowhere, they were not mine, they felt so fresh and frisky. I went for it, into zone 2-3 and things were all unfolding better than I planned. Thank you nutrition plan! You know when you find that zone, where it feels like you could run forever and it feels easy? I found that spot. Then I forgot about zone 3 and took a risk. I would apologize to coach later... I left zone 3 and tried to race myself...

Something about running at home. The ocean to one side and the mountains to the other. Surfers lining the beach, waves rolling in, palm trees dancing, and every passer-by honking because town is small and everyone knows everyone. It gave me more strength and more joy to be running. I just kept on going... it was the happiest half marathon ever. My final 2 miles were the "finish line miles". Whatever was left. Make it count and make it hurt...

Turning into my neighborhood I threw my arms in the air. That was the day I dream about! The day everything unfolds so perfectly. The day where you find a strength you never knew you had and nutrition goes down like cake and you are so happy, so, so, so happy that you are a triathlete. Before even taking off the shoes I called my coach. Called him with more excitement than I've ever had. It felt like I won a race. Today was the type of day you wish you could experience on race day. It was the type of day that sets PR's and makes you feel like you could tackle the world.

A college professor once told me that if I fail to plan I can plan on failing... she was right.

AND in other Big Island news... Obama Bobble Heads are now at the local bike shop. Rachel this is all yours! Auntie Linda and I could not stop laughing when we saw this and the only person we thought of was you... let us know if you want us to send you one...


Happy Planning!!


.

25 comments:

Go Gammie said...

Bree, that is so awesome that "your plan" came together for you :) Way to go, that sounds like a tough bike ride, I cant imagine a 60 minute time trial, and you jumped into your runners and did a 1/2 marathon in the heat of the day right afterwards.
For sure many of us are learning from your blog, whether it is oatmeal recipes, hydration or training. Keep up the great work and I hope you have a speedy recovery from your workout.
Good job on "the redo!!!"

ADC said...

Well done for a great training session. That is some good planning. And I love the fact that you are a pro and you put yourself out there in your blog. I am pretty sure we (pros included) make all these mistakes but just don't talk about it. This is why we bloggers love you.

Chloe said...

What a wonderful post! I learn so much from reading your blog - and not to mention how inspirational you are! You really put yourself out there for all of us to read - and I don't know how many times during a rough workout - I mentally refer back to something you've written to help me rock it out!

Congrats on the awesome brick!

Ange said...

Nice work Bree. I am sorry to hear you don't like blogging....you are very good at it. Your blogs give me inspiration to go out and tackle my own training. So just know that I am grateful that you do take the time to sit and write such thoughtful, helpful, amazing entries. I love watching you tackle and overcome. so many of these issues are things we all deal with. I am doing my first IM this summer (Lake placid...did I see that you will be there? ). Reading your story about havign nutrition problems last week and fixing it up this week is so helpful. We all knwo to practice our nutrtion...but hearing about it first hand is invaluable.
so Thanks!! Or Mahalo! :) (went there a few years ago...)

Damon Steele said...

Excellent job Bree! Now just remember that feeling and what it took to get it and repeat in Kona! Your best season is ahead!

Damie said...

Bree- we learn so much from you and your blog. I know many of us have that feeling of being judged, and it must be tough on you because this is your job! I enjoy your blog and all of the real things that go into it- because it always reminds me that I can do better too...that I can work harder too. Awesome brick- so proud of you!

Jill Costantino said...

Fantastic day for YOU!!! You are such a source of information and it is great that you share with all of us that read your blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have never really done any nutrition on any of my training sessions until this past year and reading about the importance of it and what can happen if you don't and how great things can turn out if you do is just another reinforcement!
So thanks again Chickeeta and so happy to hear you had such a great day out there:)

Bob Almighty said...

Awesome Brick Bree, Your going to be kicking major butt in October!

An Athlete In Training said...

I'm a nobody, but as a nobody, it's always interesting and helpful to see the "real" aspects of training, and see that even someone who does this full time still doesn't have everything pegged 100% of the time. Makes it easier to shrug it off when it happens to us mere mortals too! Thanks for sharing a look into all of that!

(With that said, of course it's great to read your success stories too when everything goes right as well :))

Running~Jordan said...

You are Amazing.

Even a back of the packer can feel open to that judgment through blogging. It's also something about transparent blogging which I believe you do. You lay it out there with honesty. I can't imagine how that might feel when you are pro and feeling the weight of other people's expectations. Surely it is the moment you are fighting the wind, the heat, the road, digging from within and drawing from a strength so pure and so internal that it all must wash away.

Good for you Bree, keep at it I say in my best Bob Marley voice :)

runninggunner said...

Thanks for the Awesome blog. it's very inspriational and educational at the same time. Can't wait to see your races this year.

Amy Beth Kloner said...

Nice work!! I drive my coach absolutely nuts with the same "planning" issues, and amazingly, it tends to work out when we do as we're told! It totally works... I don't know why I still make the same mistakes with nutrition/planning/preparation on training days. We really need to tackle the training days just like we prepare for race days. Looks like you nailed it! Now please teach me how to change a flat. just kidding... ;)

Eric said...

Great job Bree. Love it when everything falls into place. I will use this for my harder training days as well.

Rebecca DeWire said...

I would never have guessed that you don't enjoy blogging. Your blog is great! One of the best to read and learn from. You have no idea how many times I think about one of your posts (it might have been a couple weeks ago) where you shared how you didn't feel like doing a run workout...but you starting to think how fortunate you are to have the ability and opportunity and went out and nailed it. That post really inspired me. Thanks for taking the time to blog.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

You are such a ROCKSTAR! Love your pink towel and goodies...way to learn and I love that you share. That's how I learn too!

Joy said...

You are such an INSPIRATION!

L1z4 said...

I too am surprised that you don't enjoy blogging, and feel judged. Maybe you're getting the judging through email? I have noticed that all the commenters are super supportive and really cheering for you.

I enjoyed this post because it shows how if you plan well, and get the calories, hydration and electrolyte issues solved, that indeed you can do an IM or a long brick and not die. ;-p It is quite an accomplishment, it shows what a natural and talented athlete you are. And of course the elation when all went well when it was done and you lifted your arms upin sheer joy, that's really great to read about.

Beth said...

Awesome day Bree!! Glad it turned out so well and all your planning paid off. I can't wait to see it pay off in races for you this year!

rr said...

I don't just want one, I NEED one!

Awesome redo, Bree. I need those sometimes too.. way to rock it!! It's going to pay off soon, big time.. xoxo

Charisa said...

So so so great redo!! So happy for you that it all came together 100% finally.

allyson said...

Awesome job. You are an inspiration and keep me motivated on my training rides and runs. I think of you and your stories and it keeps me going. Dont dislike blogging, you are more of an inspiration than anything.

Sherry said...

Awesome workout AND awesome blog post! Way to take last week and really turn it around. Very inspirational for athletes of every level. Glad you are proud of your effort... you should be. :)

beth said...

BREE...YOU NAILED IT!!! great inspiration for my next tough one, thank you! you are amazing and i'm glad you glimpsed it in training. xoxox, b

Mel said...

Bree you are a rock star....and I am getting psyched...soon your race season is coming and I am getting my cheering ready:) as I am still one of your #1 fans xoxo

MJ said...

For someone that doesn't like blogging you do a damn good job of it! This was a great post! Really looking forward to my next long workout...